Is the UZ series still the way to go

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Breakimg new relevant to the OP....i'm parking the built VVTi TTUZ in the corner for a while. The thing has been soul destroying, so i'll leave it for another day.

I'm dropping in a TT LQ9 408 stroker instead...same hp goal ie approx 1000hp flywheel. But this will do it lazily and with torque to burn.

Not to mention budget destroying too? But a chebbie replacement? :)

a friend of mine made one, not only it's tuneable and looks like OEM unit, but it also talks to ABS/TRC/VSC ECU and instrument cluster.

you can see a couple usb plugs on top of the ECU

https://www.drive2.ru/l/6142683/

Very cool George, thanks.

No so bad actually....and less than the money pit the UZ has turned into. Just couldn't bring myself to top anymore good money into it. Plus a good chance to chsnge done aspects that have always annoyed me.

Lazy torque suits what the car will be used for now it's circuit days are over...probably suits my ageing tastes as well...mostly. I still have an 1800cc supercharged lotus super seven replica for circuit fasts ;)

Hey Z, how about this Chevy... I am certain John Cribb will approve :)

Well John, you know these big lumps of iron aren't my cup of tea, but they're certainly good at what they do, which is going as fast and as quickly as you can in a straight line for a quarter of a mile. ;)

My ideals have been shifting a bit in recent years and I find myself following & admiring engines that do more with less. Not to say I'm in love with the little 2 or 3 cylinder engines for their economy, but more the V6 EcoBoosts, and similar engines that are able to produce > 120 HP/L at a BSFC < 0.4 (or thermal efficiency > 34%)

No, I haven't "transgendered" from a hotrodder to a tree hugger, but you have to admire the engineering that's going into the new engines that allows them to squeeze this kind of power out while maintaining such high efficiencies. Wouldn't it be cool in the future to be able to produce 500-600 HP at the crankshaft and have so little "waste energy" going into the cooling system that you could keep it happy with a radiator the size of an oil cooler?

I think Ford has taken the right approach with putting the EcoBoost 3.5 in the Le Mans car, and it'll be a real test of their engineering to see if it'll hold up for 24 hours. When they beat Ferrari at Le Mans in the 60's, it was with big heavy cars, running big heavy iron lumps that were 2x the displacement of the Ferraris, and running far less stressed (7.0 liters @ 60 HP/L vs 3.3 liters @ 96 HP/L). This time, their engines will actually have smaller displacements than the Ferraris, and will, no doubt, be running at higher BMEP's. So it truly will be an "engineer's race" in 2016.

A tree hugger would like typical hot rod engine more. These new "efficient" engines have shorter service life. When such an engine fails, it's usually more cost-efficient to recycle whole car than to repair it. Shorter life also means you have to buy new car more often, which doesn't help you save money either. These units are efficient in very narrow sense of delivering good power for a limited time span.

It's often bout finances too.. It's easier to go to the bank and ask for money for a new car..
Going to the bank for repairers is full of security issues ..
Check out most you pull wreckers ? Seems plenty of drivable cars there ?
I would guess a head gasket has blown ? Got a quote from mechanic ..
Easier to buy another car..

Down here, the only type of driveable car you can see at wreckers is some import awaiting customs processing. These are stripped to as close to bare metal as possible, few remaining parts are recycled. However the only mechanic you can all but trust is yourself. I mean yourself period, no friends, no dealership no nobody.

Its looking like I have a 65 Dodge Dart GT coming up. I was hoping to put a Dodge 3.5 SOHC engine in there from the mid to late 2000's. After doing the research and comparing everything the 1UZFE is still a better engine than a way more "modern" engine that is basically a Mercedes engine. So The Dart will get a Lexus engine.

So I still vote its the way to go.

Jake

Don't forget to put era-correct mufflers on it , I had some good luck with one specific brand, but there's at least 14 more that make mufflers with about the same sound

@ JAKESPEEDS, I had a 66 dart gt, I loved that car but I don't think it loved me hahahah 1uz would definitely be a good choice, plus all the old mopar guys with think it's some kind of dodge hemi motor if you leave the badging off.

as for a lsx system writeup, I may do that at a later date.

Well John, you know these big lumps of iron aren't my cup of tea, but they're certainly good at what they do, which is going as fast and as quickly as you can in a straight line for a quarter of a mile. ;)

My ideals have been shifting a bit in recent years and I find myself following & admiring engines that do more with less. Not to say I'm in love with the little 2 or 3 cylinder engines for their economy, but more the V6 EcoBoosts, and similar engines that are able to produce > 120 HP/L at a BSFC < 0.4 (or thermal efficiency > 34%)

No, I haven't "transgendered" from a hotrodder to a tree hugger, but you have to admire the engineering that's going into the new engines that allows them to squeeze this kind of power out while maintaining such high efficiencies. Wouldn't it be cool in the future to be able to produce 500-600 HP at the crankshaft and have so little "waste energy" going into the cooling system that you could keep it happy with a radiator the size of an oil cooler?

I think Ford has taken the right approach with putting the EcoBoost 3.5 in the Le Mans car, and it'll be a real test of their engineering to see if it'll hold up for 24 hours. When they beat Ferrari at Le Mans in the 60's, it was with big heavy cars, running big heavy iron lumps that were 2x the displacement of the Ferraris, and running far less stressed (7.0 liters @ 60 HP/L vs 3.3 liters @ 96 HP/L). This time, their engines will actually have smaller displacements than the Ferraris, and will, no doubt, be running at higher BMEP's. So it truly will be an "engineer's race" in 2016.

raising thread back from a coma as to not start a new thread and not sure this is the right thing to do as a newby?
please let me know what the procedure is but plenty of good info covered in this thread already and opinions....etc

By reading this thread I find myself always cursing at how much we cant get away with in Oz, its so tiring.
Im also getting old and appreciate bit hp per L but Im not fan of excessive wiring, sensors and short lived motors

There is a gentleman named TK that has achieved 120hp at low rpm from prehistoric v8 holden engines all in cast iron
and even more from other engines with alloy heads or all alloy engines. Sometimes its better to pay someone to port
or setup your engines with a well thought of set of camshafts albeit not cheap when yo need 4 of the suckers and all
the other bits to get them to work safely but there is no reason a 1/3uz could not make good hp with todays turbos
or superchargers atw if todays Nissan vq35de can with cams, itbs, headers, exhaust and tune can make 400hp atw!
in normally aspirated tune only!!. The VQ and VK are same architecture but apart from capacity and chain drive they
are not dissmilar to the UZ, UR and many other modern V8 engines in many ways.

Also many race teams eliminate vvl or vvti for racing such as in super v8s and indy racing.

As for emissions could you run a removable cat from a similar capacity diesel truck that is easily removable and can
be shared with other people on this forum to keep costs down?

Another thing is if you look at the old mazda, ford and jaguar v6 engines they are chopped down versions of the coyote
and voodoo heads but obviously more serious cams, capacity and tuning. The ford heads look very wide but seem to
be a cost cutting exercise or modular thinking!? to accommodate larger cam lobes if need be for racing purposes.

Japanese companies seem to focus on packaging and street performance then use different castings usually when
going racing so less worried about overall spenditure. Surprisingly I didnt know until recently that Ford bought the design
that became the Modular v8 which was originally designed by porsche at some stage when it acquired Jaguar.

Now the interesting bit I would like to know is, since all these modern v8 engines have bores around 91-94mm and
similar weights all up could a flat plane Ford voodoo crankshaft fit one of the jap v8s?

After spending week researching all the worlds v8 engine from all different makes Im still sold on the UZ for its size,
build quality, weight and potential both boosted and NA (albeit NA usually costs more to achieve 120hp per L)

Geez Rod.
That's the kind of question I'd be asking you!
I wonder if you know what you want already but need some re-assurance?
Maybe you wanted to start a discussion, not just for yourself but to "liven" the forum up a bit?
Anyway, you asked so here goes... I am over the current high-tech engines, squeezing the last kilowatt or kilometer out of a design that goes back a lot more than 100 years, and sacrificing reliability and longevity in the process. Bicycle chains to drive multiple overhead camshafts! Really?
Twin turbos?
At the end of the day, you cant beat a pushrod V8 when you dont care about fuel consumption or pollution. And that's coming from a high-tech bloke!
I reckon we went past the sweet spot in the 90's/2000's. Very reliable engines that would go 4 - 500,000 k's.
But that doesn't answer your "question".
LS series. Really cant go wrong there. Plenty of cred too. Maybe good old Hemi? See what Gojeep is doing on Ozrodders? Or maybe Chocco's efforts in the Hudson?
Or (and I hesitate to suggest...) electric?

Yes I've been following Go jeep for years and Choco's efforts.

Funny but I'm locked out of Ozrodders and haven't been on in 8 months. Not sure what I did wrong? I follow Gojeep on Metalshappers now and get other news from Slyfox.

My project never happened and I've been engine swapping my son's MightyBoy for the last 2 years. First from 500 to 800cc's and now going to 2 litres with an SR20DE. That could turn into an SR20DET if space (and the Engineer) allows.

I recently had some downtime and have a new idea floating around for the next project.

Engine will most probably be an manual 6 cylinder (it fits the idea better) but I will say I love my LS3.

Any engine that can lift the front wheels on the street is cool in my book.