Is the UZ series still the way to go

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whilst convalescing I'm giving thought to the replacement for my FARGO. The vehicle is very repairable (it still drives and needs 2 lights replaced to be legal) I think it's time for the next project.

The next vehicle looks like it will be based on 1990's Nissan Sereena, re-bodied into a cab forward pick-up, with the 2.0l 4 replaced by a V8.

There is huge range of V8's available ranging from AUDI to Toyota, some with small size on their side others with bullet proof reliability.

Given the UZ range is suffering from ECU age related problems (and it is 25 years old now) what are peoples thoughts on the best V8, cost aside.

The initial purchase price of a donor V8 is perhaps 1/3 of the fitted and running cost of the project.

My LS3 puts out around 350kw and owes me around $4,500.00 including 6 speed auto.

So if you were starting with a blank sheet what engine would you have regardless of cost.

The LS platform is hard to beat. Cheapish, light, compact and nothing else can touch it for aftermarket support.

If there's room then the Ford Coyote platform is a better engine and near bullet proof at streetable power levels. It's also very light but twincam heads mean it's wiiiide.

Nothing else strikes me as readily available 2nd hand?

The later gen Nissan and Toyota V6's are good things...more the the Nissan ones if you also want forced induction.

Given you want little stuffing around, it has to be an LSx variant really. Add fun factor with the multitude of boost options. A 1000hp twinscrew beast could only be a good thing and so easy to achieve ;)

Given the UZ range is suffering from ECU age related problems (and it is 25 years old now) what are peoples thoughts on the best V8, cost aside.

UZS187-CETZK was produced until 12/2008 , had 3uz with 6spd auto. And so far, I haven't seen a single issue related to ECU aging on 1998-2000 ECUs.

Talking of blank sheet project, it highly depends on project's purpose. The UZ are lighter and more compact than say Nissan VK45, they are much easier to run with factory management, and while having only moderate power output they are very good at fuel mileage.

Last edited:
I'd looked at VK45's but they are even bigger than the UZ's.

LS series are great engines but a bit of tech appeals to me. That said I have almost every LS3 engine sensor spare in the workshop.

I was curious about Euro engines as they seem quite compact and have plenty of grunt. Not sure my wife would like me stealing her SLK55 engine?

I would like to have it fairly standard and just drive the wheels of it.

I was curious about Euro engines as they seem quite compact and have plenty of grunt.

Recently helped mate to convert porsche cayenne to 3uz. Original EURO engine has aluminum cylinders with ceramic coating, which is easily etched by less than perfect fuel. As a result, whole car is sold for dirt cheap

Last edited:
Euro engines with warranty are great....otherwise not so much.

If you want tech then the Coyote is the best V8 around. They are a genuinely good thing and not too badly priced for a new crate motor.

Rod, good for you for thinking of the next project :)

My simple thought process:

Euro engines = too much tech, overly complicated, not reliable, no aftermarket

American engines = not enough tech (except the Coyote), cheap, plenty of parts, reliable, good aftermarket

Japanese engines = good tech, parts, reliable, spotty aftermarket

Not to leave any stone unturned - have a look at the Hyundai Tau also. Rhys Millen here in the US has been a poster child for Hyundai (much as his dad was a poster child for Nissan) and has been hotrodding these for a few years now.

If it were me, I'd focus on the Japanese engines or the Coyote if there was space.

What are the prospects for the UR series engines with a standalone ECU?

I haven't seen any actual conversions / info on the net as yet on the net. Maybe I have not been looking it up right....

The Dakar Hiluxes have been running 1 and 2URs for quite sometime now. They do have some indirect factory support but I wonder what ECUs they run.

Sweet sounding engines! A short video here of 2UR-FSE here which was replaced by a GSE recently: https://youtu.be/Hsc9jeJBp3M

Nevertheless, UZ it is and shall be unless I hit a lottery soon..... in which case it will only be a worser badder meaner UZ :)

Last edited:
Must ask.. Why keep std ECU ? When Aust has some of the best ECU's right here..
MB twin turbo V6 ? But then we could build a forged Toyota V6 with two (or single) turbo?
Maybe the new variable vane type? It's not always the engine alone.. It's the package..
My daily is a Coyotee .. Can't knock it ...
When our local cars are gone and U.S. Cars arrive.. We may see aftermarket parts more available ..

Last edited:
Legally to run an aftermarket ECU it needs to pass the emissions test conducted my the RMS (free in NSW, but big$$$$ in other States) plus the cost of buying, fitting and tuning would way exceed the buy price of any UZ series engine.

By the time you purchase a 3UZ, ECU, tune it and get the auto working you could by a crate LS3 and 6 speed auto from GM.

Whilst cost doesn't overly concern me I do want value for my money.

I also like the sound of a V8 so a 6 & snails doesn't float my boat.

One good thing is the GM ECU can be TUNED . Some have UZ's running on these ECU's .. The timing NEEDS plenty retard during its peak torque which the NA tune simply DOES NOT do ., the other option to leave the Std ECU for idle control and stand alone for fuel / timing .. Finding or using a GOOD tuner is thing thing to find . In most cases straight out tuners are better than mechanics doing both .. I highly doubt a second set of injectors on std ECU would pass emission ..,

Perhaps - my memory definitely isn't improving with age.

It's something Zuffen & I had kicked around years ago, and discarded, I think, because of the complexity of the trigger arrangement, or some such.

Still, it would be interesting to find a tuneable, OEM quality ECU that just needs a few tweaks to make work on the 1UZ (AND pass an emissions OBD2 scan? :))

I'd also like to see how it was done.

I now have everything except the correct reluctor ring, a set of coils and a harness to do an LSx conversion.

Breakimg new relevant to the OP....i'm parking the built VVTi TTUZ in the corner for a while. The thing has been soul destroying, so i'll leave it for another day.

I'm dropping in a TT LQ9 408 stroker instead...same hp goal ie approx 1000hp flywheel. But this will do it lazily and with torque to burn.

Still, it would be interesting to find a tuneable, OEM quality ECU that just needs a few tweaks to make work on the 1UZ (AND pass an emissions OBD2 scan? :))

a friend of mine made one, not only it's tuneable and looks like OEM unit, but it also talks to ABS/TRC/VSC ECU and instrument cluster.

you can see a couple usb plugs on top of the ECU

https://www.drive2.ru/l/6142683/