Intro

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

madmaverick

Whats up everyone. Ive been lurking for a bit and wanted to say hello. I used to swing a wrench for a living but recently returned to school. My current rides are an '93 Nissan 240sx (track) and an '87 BMW 325 (daily). Im pretty sure they both need 1UZ's. I don't know how this motor remained a secret to me for so long! Basic plan at the moment is to pick up a good 318 e30 shell and drop the 1UZ/R154 in it. I will likely part the 240 to build the e30. I cant wait to ditch my KA-T for some V8 power!

Me and my deathsleds:
18355_289164402824_699122824_3483836_6515818_n.jpg

17455_265848867824_699122824_3386151_2622203_n.jpg

13651_223792637824_699122824_3176692_664389_n.jpg

photo.php

2812_89547842824_699122824_1800459_21988_n.jpg

Now back to lurking.

Rob

I have been searching around a lot trying to price out some swap parts but Im looking for a little help. I want to stay NA so I know I want the late model VVTI 1UZ. A lot of the sources I have found give different data on these motors so I want to be %100 sure.

From what I understand, in the US, the best motor for me to source is from a 98+ GS400. Front sump and the most stock power available from a 1UZ. Is this correct? Are there other US cars this higher powered variant came in? I also read something about the extra power coming from a less restrictive intake manifold. Can anybody clear that up?

Ive seen the average price of an early 1UZ is around $400. What should I expect to pay for a good condition (sub 100K miles) VVTI engine? I mean the whole shibang, engine, harness, igniters, AFM/sensors and ECU.

Thanks!

Give Tom's Foreign Car Parts in Connecticut a call. I've purchased two motors from them and both were solid, and they don't try to rape you on shipping charges. Since you're in NJ you're close to them anyway.

Also try our forum member Aliga; he's in New York, and is always parting out Lexus cars & motors.

VVTi motors always seem to come at a premium, sometimes 10x what the early motors run. Guess it's whatever the market will bear.

Thanks for the quick info. That definitely changes the budget.

Is $400 about right for a non-VVTI? (Engine, harness, ECU, coils, sensors, AFM). I won't need the autobox as I will be sorting an R154 and associated bits.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency in the pricing - probably depends more on what recent sales have gone for.

Most of the salvage yards aren't too careful with the harness, and they normally don't include an ECU. To buy a "complete" non-VVTi motor, with uncut harness, all accessories, and an ECU, for $400, would be a deal/steal.

David (Lextreme) might be able to help you out on the West Coast if you're set on getting a VVTi motor.

David (Lextreme) might be able to help you out on the West Coast if you're set on getting a VVTi motor.

I think im going to go with a non-VVTI for now, to make sure my setup can handle the rigors of sliding. I would rather pop a $400 motor and be able to replace it. I want a good harness and planned on using the Toyota cluster, so I will try to find a good clip around here.

It is possible to run the stock ECU with an R154 and not throw a code correct?

I know a local importer so I may be able to source a Crown ECU, would this be a better option?

I have also been looking at tuning options in case there is enough money in the budget. I want something that can do (at least) ignition timing, vvti control and fuel trim, but I know I wont have enough for a stand alone. Whats the best middle grown tuning solution?