intercooler

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tappet

Long story short, I was going to low boost turbo my 1uz for burnouts.
After research and advice from this forum I own an m90 instead.
I chose the m90 because I intend on sticking to low boost and hopefully the stock ecu.
I am making the manifold now, but I am unsure whether at 6lb boost an intercooler would be beneficial/neccessary or maybe just a phenolic spacer would suffice?
Any thoughts guys?

Hi Tappet,
Is it off a Commodore?
I will assume so for now....
I am running 8psi on stock ECU runs great except for the economy mode that the ECU tries to hang onto for a bit and runs lean for a few seconds
Actually running slightly richer mid and top with the M90 on than before, had a rising rate fuel regulator on but removed it during the Dyno runs as it was not achieving anything that the stock injection couldn't do already.

Another thing the M90's need to spin a bit hard (still within their capability) on a 1UZ to make 6psi compared to a Commodore bigger capacity engine, better flowing heads and the drive pulley on the 1UZ is a bit smaller than the Commodore's so you need a quite small top pulley fairly certain mine is a 67mm making 8psi with stock 1UZ balancer.

Have you seen some of the stuff Mace in Melbourne do for L67 Commodores If you have the room under the bonnet and a bit of a budget to play with......
http://www.maceengineering.com.au/e...mace/Products/WAI601-A1/SubProducts/WAI601-A1
Check out all of their L67 stuff some of it we can use for our 1UZ's
found them to be very helpful on the phone also.
Cheers

The charger is off a Buick so the intake is straight in, not on an angle I think that is the only difference. Your running 8psi, I just ordered a 5psi pulley because everything I have read is negative above 6psi on stock ecu. Wish I had read your post first. The car is a 2wd hilux, 1uz running c4 auto 3500 stall show/burnout car. Won a trophy in its first show, the judge was OZ,s top judge Owen Webb. I am trying to stick with the stock ecu only because a dyno is so far away.
I have run the car in two burnout comps so far. The first comp the car went ok because it is quite light, but I needed more power. For the second comp I fitted extractors into 2.5 pipes merging into 3 inch pipe all mandrel bends.
The difference was mind blowing, the car went mental. So now its full steam ahead with the m90. I have contacted Mace and will be getting the charger ported, if I fit the intercooler I will also have the H bar removed. I am trying to learn a little more about heat with the m90 for by the time I intercool this its another $1500. If it is necessary I will pay it, but how much money do you spend to do a 3 minute skid to impress people you do not even know?
So before I spend this money I am trying to make the correct decision on whether I need it or not. All to often I blow money on things I do not need for cars. So any input is valued, cheers.

Hi mate,
I have a sandwich plate which lets you run a more conventional front mount IC or and air water if you wish.....might help save some dollars? Squeezed between the SC and inlet. It's a very impressive CNC machined price of billet. Zuffen had it made for his twin screw setup and it ended up with me but I've never been able to use it. I'll see if I can get you some pics....got an email address? Just pm me if you like

Another option is to use water injection before the supercharger.

This will do three things

1. tighten up the lobe clearances giving more boost.

2. Cool the charge before it is heated (giving a cooler supercharger exhaust) making more power.

3. The cooler inlet temp will delay detonation giving more power for longer.

Also in a burnout comp I would want water intercooling as there isn't too much airflow to make the intercooler efficient. The water system will heat up as well but with a decent supply of cold water to start with it will take longer and may get you the 2 minutes you want.

Quite cheap and easy to do.

Another option is to use water injection before the supercharger.

This will do three things

1. tighten up the lobe clearances giving more boost.

2. Cool the charge before it is heated (giving a cooler supercharger exhaust) making more power.

3. The cooler inlet temp will delay detonation giving more power for longer.

Also in a burnout comp I would want water intercooling as there isn't too much airflow to make the intercooler efficient. The water system will heat up as well but with a decent supply of cold water to start with it will take longer and may get you the 2 minutes you want.

Quite cheap and easy to do.
Would you suggest I just buy a kit off say, Ebay.
Or would it be better to learn more about it and design something myself for my application?

Hi mate,
I have a sandwich plate which lets you run a more conventional front mount IC or and air water if you wish.....might help save some dollars? Squeezed between the SC and inlet. It's a very impressive CNC machined price of billet. Zuffen had it made for his twin screw setup and it ended up with me but I've never been able to use it. I'll see if I can get you some pics....got an email address? Just pm me if you like
Justen, PM sent.

I ran Snow Performance water injection together with my external W2A intercooler.

At least with Snow you know you're getting reasonable quality.

Hi mate,
Justen ,I have sent many messages but my records of messages show none have gone through. Can you send a message my way just to see if I can receive one?

I ran Snow Performance water injection together with my external W2A intercooler.

At least with Snow you know you're getting reasonable quality.
I have been reading as much as I can on water injection and it looks to me as a must. But everything I come across is unclear as to whether tuning to suit is necessary or whether it can be done on a stock ecu.

If it's just for increased det resistance then no tuning required.

If you are trying to wring every last kW on the ragged then yes very careful tuning is required.

Just aim for around 10-15% of your fuel load as water. A variable rate system will obviously be better but I got away with a simple constant rate system (approx 300cc/min) and my stock internals survived 400+ rwkw for a few years :)