Installing Megans--what bushings should I buy?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Calikev

I have the Megan LP coilovers ready to go on the car and realize I should do the bushings before installing and aligning the car or I will just be taking everything apart and doing it again. My question is...

exactly which bushings should I have replaced?

front and rear or front only?

what are the best bushings for soft stock-like ride?

Thanks I have already learned tons about my new(93) LS from this forum. I still don't think I can do this install, but would at least like to take the parts to someone and know what is happening and what is best to do before installing the coilovers

If your going to do bushings do them all at once. God i wish i was home i could have the entire set replaced in a single day and half of cost. Bushings are VERY labor intensive. The entire suspension needs to come off and each arm needs to be poressed out and/or burned out with a torch before installation can proceed. Shop prices on this one, they tend to range quite a bit. i have done 2 LS400 and 2 SC's. Its well worth the investment your LS will ride like a brand new Lexus with better control over stock. I would recomend Prothane as they are just as good as the super pricey Daizen and Vlamos bushings but 1/2 the price. I run 100% prothane on my 400hp SC400. I would reccomend to anyone.

forgot to add. the trick to polyurethane is the grease and its installation. Make sure you use a synthetic grease. I used Mobil one red synthetic and after 90k, no squeaking. make sure each bushing is fully slathered with grease before installation. If you do this I guarantee you wont have squeaking. A lot of people say poly bushes are "stiff" but I personally can say this is bogus. Tehy allow enough play to keep the ride stock like yet improve handling/steering and last the lifetime of the car versus rubber which needs replacement every 150k.

If your feeling brave, here are a few good links for DIY on bushings:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspension/
http://lextreme.com/bushing.html

If you want any help let me know. I can coach you through any of the suspensiuon arms if your interested.

Thanks "spf_lexus" I will buy some Prothane bushings and lube them with Mobil one red synthetic oil as you suggested I may not know how to do the big jobs, but you guys are making me know this car inside and out. I've already done tons of maintenance things to this car from the info on this site. My LS should be ready for another 100k real soon

Last question...can you tell me the names of ALL the bushings to buy...strut bushing front/back both? lower/upper what? how many are there for each? I know very little about the exact or proper names of suspension parts

im having trouble digging up the prothane part #'s but based off memory they came in "kits" for the front and rear. About 30-40 bushings per kit.

In my opinion the 1st bushing you should replace is the "strut rod cushions". Aftermarket replacements do not exist as its a dealer only part but these are always destroyed on the early LS and new ones really button up the front end. Second I would replace the front upper control arms and balljoints too. Here's a nice little secret for the early LS:

I did not want to replace the upper control arm bushings w/o replaing the ball joints as well but wouldnt you know it, dealer only! and the balljoints come with the amrs at a skyhigh price of $500/arm

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid7_pid65.html

This is exactly the same as the $500/each dealer arms but they are $200 for BOTH. I have these currently on my LS and after 50k, no complaints. Saves $800 over the dealer. Once the uppers and strut rod cushions are replaced, all you need to finish the front are the lower control arm bushes. These need to be burned out with a torch. Pretty sure Lex has a tutorial on this one.

This is EXCELLENT info "spf_lexus" I know very little about the specific names of the parts, so it's hard for me to buy not knowing this. I will buy the control arms today and the strut rod cushions and lower control arm bushings for the front end.

So I should buy:

2 strut rod chushions for front---front upper control arms with balljoints from website listed---and 4 lower control arm bushings to cover the 2 on each side of the front end...RIGHT?

What about the rear?
Sorry if this is a dumb question and for me asking for you to explain in "child-like" depth. I want to get this right the 1st time even with my limited knowledge

Yes, strut rods, arnott upper arms and each lower control arm should have 2 per arm.

No worries kev, im bored as hell out here in this tiny tiny town in southern colorado so i try to keep busy by helping out online until I get back home.

The rear has a lot more going on so you will end up with more bushings total.

that may be, i havent double checked to see if they apply to the LS but if not im pretty sure there are a couple other sellers offering them for early LS400.

I just want to say a hard rubber designed bushing trumps the poly. To the OP I'd go for the Oem bushes or a hardened rubber. A poly bushing has no casing to keep it from deforming over time. In addition to that it rides/sits on a center piece of metal. All Oem companies use that cased design for a reason and it's longevity.

I would love to find some rubber OEM spec bushings Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to find all the Prothane bushings yet. If anyone knows where a "FULL" kit can be had in either rubber or prothane please share the info for everyone

---I'm lucky my car rides well now so there is no rush, but I do want to install the Megans and get this done ASAP. I can't justify putting the Megans on while knowing I should do all the bushings to prevent any future suspension problems

Just checked prothane and sadly they offer kits for the SC/GS and IS but no LS. Kev, if I were you order the upper arms from arnott, and then check out the poly bushings off partsgeek.com. The rear suspension tends to last a lot longer than the front so with the uppers replaced, then all you need are the 2 lower arm bushings, the strut rod cushions and the sway bar bushings.

Partsgeek.com has all the bushings for the car but do to the fact that its not in a "kit", it will cost a bit more.

Front lower arm bushing (you need 2 of these total): http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1991/lexus/ls400/suspension/control_arm_bushing.html

Front sway bar bushings:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1991/lexus/ls400/suspension/sway_bar_bushing_kit.html

When I overhauled my LS, I bought most of my bushings off partsgeek.

So the uppers from Arnott will fit the front and back or are you saying forget about doing the uppers in the back and just change the lower bushings only?

The arnotts are good for the fronts only. The rears are very expensive due to zero aftermarket offerings. I had 210k on my LS and even still, the rear upper balljoints were still in very good condition so I just replaced the bushings. The arnott arms have brand new OEM bushings so no need to replace the bushings that come with them. I have heard the "Vlamos" OEM rubber balljoints are a bit softer, but I do not know if David, aka mr. lextreme still carries them. He may have some in stock, but you'll have to ask him. From a price stand point, I would start by over hauling the entire front and then see how she drives.

Just a little heads up, Tm engineering is one of the worst vendors out there for daizen products. Club Lexus has a whole thread on this guy. Never returns calls/e-mails. takes payment but can takes weeks/month to get a product. I had to demand my cash back after 2 weeks of no replies.

what i found is that if you get the the upper control arms from arnott like spf lexus said but instead just get the daizen control arm bushing kit from tmengineering http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/ls.html

Sometimes TM has them in stock and you might get them quick, but knowing this guys antics its sort of a coin toss? Anyway pricegeek charges $100 for rear upper bushings versus TM's $100 for front and rear. You would have extra bushings but if you dont need the fronts.. its the same price for the same product with a shipping delay gamble. It can be a big pain considering the LS has so many bushings. It would be so much easier/cheaper if Prothane had an offering.