Imported 1uz-fe Engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Bhogg

Hi All

Please Admin if this post is better located to another area please do.
Cheers

I’ve currently got a Toyota 4Runner with an imported 89 model 1uz engine in it.
It’s an 89 model engine so exactly how long the engine has sat around for is anyone’s guess,.
My problem is I’ve got a bad over heating issue!, I’ve Replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator cap and had the radiator tanks taken off and it all cleaned out and it’s got a 16 inch thermo fan behind it and it’s still over heating it’s been tested for a possible blown head gasket and that came back clear.
Even in winter months under load it’ll overheat and on a 30 degree day if I try to drive on 110kmph on the highway it’ll overheat.
So at the current moment I’m leaning towards something either blocking water flow in the heads/ engine due to it possibly sitting for a long duration?.
So I’m really wanting some help and or ideas what might be causing it as I’m at a real loss now!!.
So please guys / girls I’d really appreciate any help!!

Cheers All

That conversion is known for having heating problems.

What radiator are you using? Finding a large enough radiator and fitting it seems a real problem.

I'd try removing the bonnet for the day and having a run on some quiet back roads.

You may find the airflow through the radiator is restricted as the air can't escape the engine bay.

If it runs cooler you need to work out how to get the air out of there. You could try lifting the rear of the bonnet, install some vents or try and get the air out the side of the engine bay.

That conversion is known for having heating problems.

What radiator are you using? Finding a large enough radiator and fitting it seems a real problem.

I'd try removing the bonnet for the day and having a run on some quiet back roads.

You may find the airflow through the radiator is restricted as the air can't escape the engine bay.

If it runs cooler you need to work out how to get the air out of there. You could try lifting the rear of the bonnet, install some vents or try and get the air out the side of the engine bay.
I had the exact same setup in my Hilux for 15 years and never had any problems at all.
So this is why I’m at a loss.

What temp is it running? Any photos of your setup? Does running the heater fan make any difference? When it overheats does it blow coolant out?
Hi
It’s got the stock diesel radiator.
And not much more I can add about the setup that I haven’t mentioned in the original post above.
I haven’t got a temp gauge with temperatures on it apart from the standard temp gauge, but I’ve had to stop many times due to it overheating!, I had the Exact same setup in my Toyota Hilux for 15 years and Never had any issues at all with overheating even on a 42 degree Celsius day or 107 Fahrenheit.

Cheers

Have you checked all the basic stuff? Do you have a working thermostat that opens and closes. Have you flushed the block and made sure its clear of crap and flows water / coolant. Have you checked the radiator is clean and flows water / coolant. Is the radiator cap doing its thing. 15lb cap is the go. And pressure test the whole system. Does the water pump work and not cavite. Have you checked all pipes / hoses are clear and no restrictions, overflow system connected and working. Are the hoses on the engine and radiator on the right way round... (this is where many conversions get it wrong) hot water comes out of the thermostat housing into the top of the radiator and cooler coolant goes into the other water port on the front crossover. How dose the fan/s work? driven from the engine or electric jobbies. Are the fans pushing enough air through the radiator in the RIGHT direction. If electric fans are they getting full battery voltage, I'm not talking 12V, I'm saying 14 - 14.5V which is what your alternator should be making.. if not then add a relay at the fans to pick up that extra couple of volts as this will make the fans much more efficient. Is the radiator area and volume suited for this engine? As Zuffen and Gloverman said you gotta get enough air through the radiator and out of the engine bay. Now there's a hole lot more questions to ask. Is the engine running hot as a result of other things like fuel, timing, exhaust. Does it make good power or is it a slug? Good luck

Rod, the water does not come out of the thermostat into the top of the radiator. The thermostat is the inlet to the engine, flowing cooled water from the bottom of the radiator into the engine. The top hose is the one going into the top cross over pipe between the heads.

Kelvin,

Aware of the direction of water flow but I was more referring to air flow.

Not much use having a radiator sitting in a pool of stagnant air.

Have you checked all the basic stuff? Do you have a working thermostat that opens and closes. Have you flushed the block and made sure its clear of crap and flows water / coolant. Have you checked the radiator is clean and flows water / coolant. Is the radiator cap doing its thing. 15lb cap is the go. And pressure test the whole system. Does the water pump work and not cavite. Have you checked all pipes / hoses are clear and no restrictions, overflow system connected and working. Are the hoses on the engine and radiator on the right way round... (this is where many conversions get it wrong) hot water comes out of the thermostat housing into the top of the radiator and cooler coolant goes into the other water port on the front crossover. How dose the fan/s work? driven from the engine or electric jobbies. Are the fans pushing enough air through the radiator in the RIGHT direction. If electric fans are they getting full battery voltage, I'm not talking 12V, I'm saying 14 - 14.5V which is what your alternator should be making.. if not then add a relay at the fans to pick up that extra couple of volts as this will make the fans much more efficient. Is the radiator area and volume suited for this engine? As Zuffen and Gloverman said you gotta get enough air through the radiator and out of the engine bay. Now there's a hole lot more questions to ask. Is the engine running hot as a result of other things like fuel, timing, exhaust. Does it make good power or is it a slug? Good luck

Hi Mate

Yes all theses things have been checked and everything seems to be working as it should.
Yes it’s very sluggish compared to my Hilux with the exact same setup apart from the Hilux had a 5 speed manual!, so I expect the auto to be a slug box which it is I’ve had it on the Dyno and all seemed fine it’s got a new exhaust.
So unless there’s something I’ve overlooked and other’s have overlooked I’m at a loss!!.
I just don’t understand why when it’s exactly the same setup I had in my other Hilux to why it’s getting hot!.
It’s gotta be something that’s getting overlooked OR something with the engine? But F@#ked if I know and my misses is given me a hammering about just to make matters worse.
And obviously I don’t want to setup anything else on the 4x4 equipment wise and send more on it until I can figure it out what the hell’s going on.

Cheers thanks for your time and help

Ok so what sort of power did it make. I'd be expecting somewhere around the 100Kw atw for a stocky. What were the AFR's should have been in the 12's at WOT and in the 14's at cruise. Have you done a comp test? Checked the cam timing. Its not uncommon for these engines to get a tooth out on one bank.