Idle problem

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fastegg

I have an intermittent problem... when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal the engine stops or idles very rough with puffs of black smoke.... A sensor problem ?

Was it running fine beforehand? Or a conversion you are trying to get running properly?

I would say AFM (air flow meter) or TPS (throttle position sensor)

Or I've seen a 1uz where the pipe from the ISCV to the intake had split and that caused the same sort of problem... Have you got a CEL on?

Was it running fine beforehand? Or a conversion you are trying to get running properly?

I would say AFM (air flow meter) or TPS (throttle position sensor)

Or I've seen a 1uz where the pipe from the ISCV to the intake had split and that caused the same sort of problem... Have you got a CEL on?

Was running perfectly before..... What is CEL ?..... I might take it to a guy who can plug in a diagnostic tester to see if any sensor faults come up... (They want $100 to do this)

CEL = Check engine light :) You can bridge two terminals in the diagnostic port and get the cel to flash a code for you... With ignition off bridge E1 and TE1 with a paper clip...turn ignition to acc (lights on dash but not started) check engine light will flash slow and fast... count the number of slow then fast.. example 2 slow then 4 fast would be code 24... it may flash more than one code...

CEL = Check engine light :) You can bridge two terminals in the diagnostic port and get the cel to flash a code for you... With ignition off bridge E1 and TE1 with a paper clip...turn ignition to acc (lights on dash but not started) check engine light will flash slow and fast... count the number of slow then fast.. example 2 slow then 4 fast would be code 24... it may flash more than one code...

Um.. Which diagnostic port ?.. The UBD2 or the one in the engine bay ?... And how do I determine E1 and TE1 ?

Try a new efi temperature sender. Its the two wire sensor on the front water bridge. It seems like the engine is being fuelled too rich hence the sooty smoke.

A warm engine running on a mixture that is too rich would give exactly those symptoms.

Cheers,

Tony

Try a new efi temperature sender. Its the two wire sensor on the front water bridge. It seems like the engine is being fuelled too rich hence the sooty smoke.

A warm engine running on a mixture that is too rich would give exactly those symptoms.

Cheers,

Tony
Sorry Tony..
But what is a 'water bridge' ?... Can you take a photo of it ?
Your diagnosis could be correct as it runs fine when the engine is cold and only misbehaves as the motor heats up...

The water bridge is the water channel between the two heads that the bottom hose and thermostat is bolted into.

If you look just behind the coil at the top of the engine you will see two sensors and their plugs which are bolted into the water bridge between the two heads.

One has just one wire, which is for the temperature guage in the car, and the second has two wires. That second sensor is the one that tells the ECU the temperature of the engine and if it has gone kaput it will lead to overfuelling.

CTS_04.jpg

Hope that helps,

Tony

The water bridge is the water channel between the two heads that the bottom hose and thermostat is bolted into.

If you look just behind the coil at the top of the engine you will see two sensors and their plugs which are bolted into the water bridge between the two heads.

One has just one wire, which is for the temperature guage in the car, and the second has two wires. That second sensor is the one that tells the ECU the temperature of the engine and if it has gone kaput it will lead to overfuelling.

CTS_04.jpg

Hope that helps,

Tony
Hi Tony..
Ive purchased an ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor via ebay and will fit it when it comes. I also took the MAF out but it looks spotless.
Thanks for the tip, see how it goes...