Ideal exhaust for Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

5020Chris

Hi all, was hoping for any advice on the ideal size of pipe for the exhaust on my v8 Hilux. Will be using the standard ls400 headers (for now) no cats and single tail pipe out the side. Any tips/advice/etc from any one who's done this before or has a similar swap ?
Cheers.

Hi all, was hoping for any advice on the ideal size of pipe for the exhaust on my v8 Hilux. Will be using the standard ls400 headers (for now) no cats and single tail pipe out the side. Any tips/advice/etc from any one who's done this before or has a similar swap ?
Cheers.

Small pipes provide better low RPM response, power and torque. The stock size is 50mm (1.97") on the duals and that same size is used on the 1998+ VVTi engines making 300hp and 310-325tq. On a pre 1998 engine there is really no strong reason for pipes bigger than 2.0" and certainly no more than 2.25". The smaller pipe is also lighter and takes up less space. For the single section use 2.5".

Remember that the 1990-1994 LS400 engines were rated 250hp/260tq but IMO were overrated and in reality were closer to 230hp. I would not use larger than 2.0" dual pipes and 2.5" single on these small engines making less than 280hp. In fact the stock Y pipe is a good part made of low grade stainless and featuring a very good Y section (for low speed torque) with a 60mm (2.36") single section.

Now, if you are build an engine for high RPM use or FI like super or turbocharging the rules change. For a largely stock engine where good low and mid range are needed the above is good advice.

We have done many hilux and have done a range of exhausts - from primary 2inch into single 2.25inch , to my Favorite twin 2.25 into single 2.5inch but we do heaps of twin 2.25inch into single 3inch. We even did a full twin 2.5 inch which was very loud and droney at 100km/h. The 3inch single out the back is popular as they sound really good. As for performance there is very little difference between each one. Most have standard exhaust manifolds. My favorite is to go a bit on the small size which keeps the noise down, helps retain the 1uz torque , makes keeping it high out and out of the way easier in a 4x4 and with yours pay attention to the exit point to reduce the chance on filling it with mud. Cheers

We have done many hilux and have done a range of exhausts - from primary 2inch into single 2.25inch , to my Favorite twin 2.25 into single 2.5inch but we do heaps of twin 2.25inch into single 3inch. We even did a full twin 2.5 inch which was very loud and droney at 100km/h. The 3inch single out the back is popular as they sound really good. As for performance there is very little difference between each one. Most have standard exhaust manifolds. My favorite is to go a bit on the small size which keeps the noise down, helps retain the 1uz torque , makes keeping it high out and out of the way easier in a 4x4 and with yours pay attention to the exit point to reduce the chance on filling it with mud. Cheers

Old thread revival
What would be an ideal exhaust size for a stock LS400 motor (into a RN85R 2WD Hilux) with a view to go M90 or M112 later on in the piece.
Would the above mentioned twin 2.25 into single 2.5 be suffice?