I need help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

onyx_sc400

Sorry for the inconviniance, but my 92 SC400's engine has blown. I was driving down the highway "at a substantial speed." I started smelling antifreeze, but saw no smoke anywhere. I noticed that my temp needle started climbing. as the car backed down to 80mph, I tried giving it a little gas, to see if there was any loss in engine power, and sure enough, the engine wasn't responding, but the car held it's speed. I let off the gas completely, hoping to cool the engine a bit that way. When the car reached around 40mph, the needle had hit the top most part(red) and was slowing climbing back down, but that's when the engine turned off. I pulled over to the side off the road, opened the hood, and was surprised to find antifreeze/water EVERYWHERE! I hoped that with the engine cool and more water in the radiator, the car would turn on, but whenever I tried filling the resevoir tank, the water just ran right out what seems to be the side of the engine(head gasket area?) The engine cranks, but wont turn over.

Can anyone tell me what I've done to my beautiful car?

If it helps..... I'm on a repair budget of $2000 USD.

Check your oil color. If it looks normal then your gaskets are ok.. but it look like chocolate shake.... then your head gaskets are shoot. For some how your engine over heat.. possible bad water pump.... or your hydralic fan is dead....

Secondly.. check the fluid color your radiator fluid too.. if you see dark greasy fluid... bad news...

thanks, but I can't check the radiator fluids, as they are all over the engine compartment, and dried. I dont have the car here in Tucson, but I can ask my father. I left there car stranded at my hometown.

Can the heads possibly be warped?

I was kinda hoping to avoid all this since Lexus makes reliable cars......

U have to check the fluids... so it will give u clues what is going with the engine. Many things can happen.. your rings lock up due to over heating. Possible HG, Rings and worst... even heads warp.... Its possible your radiator, hydraulic fan or the water pump is bad.. therefore your radiator fluid wasnt cooling your engine...

You really need to fill it with water and see exactly where its coming out. If you can give us some more direction on where, then we can give you more precise things to look at. If the water isn't pouring out, find someone that has a radiator pressure tester and put that on. A few pumps and you'll know where it is.

Start with the basic stuff. Check your hoses. Make sure they're on properly and don't have any tears in them. What I think has happened is that one of your hoses has burst and is spraying water directly onto your engine fan, the fan then sprays it EVERYWHERE. Looks quite dramatic, but only a hose needs replacing.

It doesn't sound like a head gasket as the water is all over the engine bay, not dissapearing into the engine.

The other thing is it could be a welsh plug. I heard somewhere that to replace some specific welsh plugs the motor needs to be pulled out. Not a fun job.

You probably lost the coolant originally due to cracks in the radiator end tanks, I would think? It's a common problem.

I'd be looking at a second hand motor, a reco radiator and some new hoses.

Guys,
You are all missing one point...the engine turns but will not run.
My experience was very similar symptoms...outcome...water pump seized, shredded the cambelt, belt eventually broke (after about 5 minutes of running on the side of the road while I was trying to diagnose where all the water was coming from) leaving the engine able to be cranked over but would not run.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and hope I am wrong in your case.

Regards,
Graham

Gee, I would think a new cam belt and water pump would be somewaht cheaper than an engine overhaul.

I hope onyx this is waht it is. That is about as cheap as it can get.

take the main fuse out and disconnect the computer for about 10 - 15secs. then plug it all back together again. this should re-set the computer and remove any fault codes to do with the overheating issue - and you'll have to make it learn your driving style all over again...:(

Thanx GrahamB for reminding everyone. I tried reseting the computer to no avail. Unfortunatly, I wont know what is wrong EXACTLY till the engine is apart, but for some reason, I thought maybe the cam belts HAD broken. I thank every one of you for helping out. I'll keep posting, so that it might help someone out in the future. And as always, glad to be a part of this great community. Caio!

Woooo Hooo!

I finally got a chance to drive the two hours to check out my car. I finally found where the water is coming from exactly, and I found why the engine won't start.

The water was leaking from the water pump, running down the side of the engine( around the heads) then dripping to the floor. I also took off the cover to the timing belt, and it's completely shredded.

This is now going to cost me at least half as much as I originally thought.

Does anyone have the link to change the timing belt yourself? I saw the link a while back, when I bought the car, but back then, it wasn't an issue, so I lost the link.

I appreciate everyone's help with this, and hopefully this can help someone else. THANKS!

Go to Planet Soarer or ALSC there is a link from one or the other with good instructions as to what you need to do to change the cam belt.

Neil Griffiths (an Australian Soarer Guru) was saying in a post keep oil, water and dirt away from your cam belt.

If the cam belt jumped a tooth, apparently it CAN cause a valve and piston to touch.

Don't ask me how, I don't know.

The engine cranks, but wont turn over.

How can it crank if it doesnt turn over? Are you saying you turn the key but the engine doesnt turn over becuase you think it is seized?

The engine runs great, no damage to the pistons.
A new problem arose though, busted radiator.

I ordered a new one from radiator.com
$144 with lifetime warranty, ships today, arrives tomorrow.
Very good customer service, HIGHLY recommended.

I will later post in a different Forum area my progress on custom headlights. (with pics!!!)