How hot do headers get? Power coated headers?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Anyone know about how hot a set of mild steel headers would get? im asking because i was talking to someone about the turbo headers that are comming up. I expressed how it was going to be hard to keep the temps down and the heat of those headers at bay. He suggested that he could power coat them. When he power coats, they bake the part at around 5-600 degress F. Do you guys think that it would be worth power coating the headers? i can get this done for VERY cheep, much cheeper than having a high temp coating done. So would power coating be a good idea? bad?

Power coating is not advisable to high temp applications. Ceramic or hot jet is the choice of coating. The new thing is to ceramic coat both inside and outside of the pipes.

Ya i know that would be the best thing to do, but i was just wondering if i could get away with the power coat which i can do for cheep. But ya, its not the optimal coating.

What happens when the coating that is inside te pipes breaks down and starts wizzing through you loverly turbos. I would think it would be just a little abrasive.

You will save money (and get more power) by paying for the ceramic coating.

So all that will do is make them pretty, until it burns off. It won't make them last any longer. Remember headers can turn red hot which is way above the survival temperature of Powder coating.

Ceramic coating (in and out) will cost around twice that of powder and give you a huge increase in life expectancy and give you extra neddies.

All i needed to know was that it will burn off. I thought there might be a hope of the power coat being able to take the heat but i guess not :)