High/weird Idle, Dead e-throttle, CEL

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8S14

Hi, I have a 1uz VVTI out of a 2000 GS400 in my 240sx . Lately I've been having a strange issue.

When I start the car, the RPMs start out at ~1500 (normal), but then instead of gradually dropping over time as the car warms up, the RPMs slowly rise to about 2k or so. They may go higher but I don't stick around to find out.

Coupled with this symptom is my dead e-throttle, as in, the gas pedal only works if I push it about 75% of the way down (to manually engage the butterfly valve).

I do have a CEL, and I would love to pull the codes, but unfortunately every scanner I've tried to use refuses to connect with the ECU, and I can't find any info about pulling codes on the VVTI motor without a scanner/working obd2 port.

Does anyone have any idea of what these symptoms may be indicative of? Looking for some input.

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you ever communicated with the ecu? I find them one of the easiest ecus to talk to and supply a obd2 bluetooth adaptor to cell phone with my wiring for them these days.

What scan tools have you tried?

Have you confirmed 12 volts to BM+ of ecu?

I am starting to see the ecus fail and a few throttle bodies.

Have you ever communicated with the ecu? I find them one of the easiest ecus to talk to and supply a obd2 bluetooth adaptor to cell phone with my wiring for them these days.

What scan tools have you tried?

Have you confirmed 12 volts to BM+ of ecu?

I am starting to see the ecus fail and a few throttle bodies.

I've tried a myriad of ELM327 scanners and a couple different apps. I have not tried the mini vci yet however. Do you think this might get me somewhere? The OBDII port looks to be wired up properly, yet every time I try it fails to connect to the ECU.

I'll verify the voltage when I get a chance tomorrow.

Appreciate the response.

Last edited:
I have a bluetooth adaptor which works well. I also have a professional scantool which generally has more live data on it. Too many people think its only about codes yet correct reading of live data is vital.

Have you ever connected to the ecu even before the fault? The port needs pins 4,5 as earths, 7 as data from ecu and 16 as power.

I have a bluetooth adaptor which works well. I also have a professional scantool which generally has more live data on it. Too many people think its only about codes yet correct reading of live data is vital.

Have you ever connected to the ecu even before the fault? The port needs pins 4,5 as earths, 7 as data from ecu and 16 as power.

Nope I was never able to connect to the ECU before. The pins are all wired up, and I verified that there was continuity between the data wire in pin 7 and the ECU, however it still refuses to connect.

Also, looks like BM+ is receiving battery voltage.

Thanks

Ok. Another reason it pays to check stuff like this before you have an issue. I have units that do connect and i could send one over or you could find one the same over there.

Without live data its a bit tricky. Do you have pin voltage charts to follow through all the recommended voltages?

I was playing with one recently trying to make a stock ecu run the auto and swap out the engine including throttle to an aftermarket ecu and the throttle kept shutting down. I was trying something different to how i normally do it and learnt some new stuff.

Maybe i should add a e-throttle diagnoses video to my YouTube. Ive already done one on e-throttle. Good luck.

Ok. Another reason it pays to check stuff like this before you have an issue. I have units that do connect and i could send one over or you could find one the same over there.

Without live data its a bit tricky. Do you have pin voltage charts to follow through all the recommended voltages?

I was playing with one recently trying to make a stock ecu run the auto and swap out the engine including throttle to an aftermarket ecu and the throttle kept shutting down. I was trying something different to how i normally do it and learnt some new stuff.

Maybe i should add a e-throttle diagnoses video to my YouTube. Ive already done one on e-throttle. Good luck.

Yeah I found a pdf on another forum.
You have a YT channel? If so I'll take the link, I like watching videos about these engines as I'm definitely still in the learning phase.

What units are you referring to? Are they like the Toyota Mini VCI? I think i might try my luck with that and the techstream software.

Thanks

Yes I have a YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CartuneNZ

My adaptors as just a version of ELM327 which I found work really well. Each time I buy more (I buy 5 at a time due to my workload) I always try a different version and I keep finding the same one works best for my jobs.

I also have a professional workshop scanner which is needed these days as a workshop.