High Spec 1uz fe in race MGB GT Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

TomB Racing

Hi all, my names Tom and I have raced all kinds of cars since I learnt to drive, a lot of these cars have been MGs of various sorts. My main race car at the moment which is just being completed to race this year is a Motus Sports2000, basically a space framed full race car that looks like a Le Mans prototype. Now with that complete and being raced primarily by my father and his brother I need a project and I have just the thing, a 1967 MGB GT that I restored about 8 years ago and used on the road and for track days upto about 5 years ago when the engine went bang, its sat in the garage since. Now it’s fitted with an almost full race suspension set up that was the spare set up for when I used to race a MGB GT prior to selling it and buying the Motus.
What I would like to do is build up a race 1uz fe engine, the rough spec I was thinking is,
1uz fe block
Ported head
Slightly enlarged valves
Race springs etc
Rebuilt bottom end with,
Forged pistons and rods
? CR yet
Balanced crank
Dry sump
Race cams ? Make
Programmable ECU ? MBE
Turbo (1 or 2) ? What do people think and which?
Bespoke intake and exhaust manifolds plus exhaust
Maybe nitrous as a trial
Mated to a manual box

The car is one that I have had for years and would never sell so this is a personal project for me so there is no specific time scale or budget, it will be used for track days maybe some hill climbs but it will not be built to a set of race regs so anything goes spec wise, I would like to keep it running on high grade pump fuel though. Aim i would like ideally over 600 bhp.

I would really appreciate anyone’s feedback on spec, recommended specific items etc the majority of the race engines we have raced/ built in the past have been NA so I am not a turbo expert il happily admit that.

Il post pics as the project progresses and let you all know if you like periodically how it’s all going.

Good to meet everyone and thanks in advance!
Tom

Welcome Tom - you have a really interesting project there! You should have a look at this thread: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index.php?threads/1uz-vvti-race-car.17293/#post-143866 and hookup with Frank Clark, the OP, and see if you can get him to cast another dry sump pan for you.

These engines are expensive to modify and to make them go fast because parts are not off the shelf, and have to be modified from another application, or purpose built. Nevertheless, there have been some high HP 1UZ's built on this site. Regarding the single vs twin turbo, I've always felt the twins would be more efficient and responsive due to the lengthy exhaust plumbing involved in doing a single on a V8. Frank's project, however, is a single turbo.

Too, you should be aware the earlier 1UZ's heads do not flow as well as the later VVTi engines, so the earlier versions will require a lot of porting to flow well. Please keep us updated on your project!

earlier 1UZ's heads do not flow as well as the later VVTi engines
do you have any reference?
Some bloke from UK keeps on insisting it's the other way around, something I don't tend to believe in. As well as things like you can crank like 300hp from a fully stock 1uz non-vvti by proper mapping ALONE. That's sort of contrary to my personal experience but I don't seem to get any reliable reference

If you are looking for 600hp, a lot of that is overkill. Assuming you use a VVTi engine (better heads), a decent ECU/rods/pistons/valve springs/head gasket/head studs and a moderate turbo will get you there easily and safety. No need for porting, larger valves, cams, etc which will save you thousands. You should balance the crank and bore/hone with a deck plate. At 600hp I'd keep the stock bottom end bolts. Past that I'd go with ARP, but then you do need to line hone the block.

The el-cheapo Eagle Rods (which appear to be the same as the china specials) are decent with ARP bolts. I'd trust them past 600hp. The shop that did my machining when I ran out of time (2JZs are their specialty) thought they were fine for 800+. Next step up from there is Expensive.

Ross pistons that everyone seems to use are fine (but not cheap). Next step up from there is a custom set (or having the Ross pistons coated).

The stock intake is fine. I personally welded up some bits and made an adapter for a 90mm mechanical TB. But the stock TB is probably fine at 600hp (via boost).

If you can't find exhaust flanges I included a CAD file below. I had mine laser cut from stainless. The ports are correct for stock heads and the bolt holes are tight - I ended up drilling them out just slightly. I used [email protected] to cut them. He was cheaper than my local guy.

I went with a Megasquirt ECU, but it looks like Link is the probably less work for a 1UZ VVTi and decently priced. Anything else I know of that will handle a 1UZ VVTi is $$$. We have another car (Turbo Evora) with a Megasquirt so it was a natural choice for us.

So figure $3,000 (USD) for Eagle Rods/Ross Pistons/Valve Springs/ARP Head Studs/Cometic Head Gaskets/Generic Engine Gasket Set. Plus of course ECU of choice, Exhaust, Turbo, Waste Gates, Blow Off Valves, Intercooler, Piping. And then any machine work you out source.

While all this adds up to a lot, the 1UZ is a good base and it's really Pistons and Cams that you pay more for than more common platforms. Given that there are 4 cams, the prices really are not out of line. But, damn, you need 4 cams! Contact Tighe Cams in Australia if you are looking for VVTi cams. For anyone in the US, Tighe was at PRI last year and they are on the list for this year as well. So if you want to deal with them in person, you should be in Indy December 6-8.

Attachments

• 1UZ_EXHAUST_FLANGEV2.zip
    36.5 KB · Views: 7
On the single vs twin turbo, I'm not 'the' expert. But the experts tell me with *modern* turbos, a properly sized twin scroll with proper exhaust (one bank feeding each side of the turbine) will spool slightly quicker than properly sized twin turbos. BUT they also say the difference is small and you may as well consider packaging over that. With some cars, it's just plain easier to fit two small turbos rather than a single large one.

For my project a single fit better as I need that space on the other side of the car for cooler, oil tank and electronics. Also, my turbo is water cooled, so it saved routing water and oil to both sides of the car.

So my suggestion is pick what is easiest to implement and work on for your car.

As much as I love 1UZ's I think I would go with an LS3 and tune that.

Starting 170FWHP closer to your goal with another 2.2 litres of capacity.

An LS3 with a decent cam, intake and exhaust should give you 600FWHP in a much smaller package, without the turbos.

I've contemplated replacing my 1UZ with another LS3 (I have one project that runs an LS3 and it's silly fast) due to the increased torque available but it's the re-testing for Engineering that turns me off the idea.

I know the above is heresy but I've gone down the 600+HP on a 1UZ and in Australia that set me back over $45,000.00!

Rod, even die hard UZ fans can be tempted by the dark side. We wont hold it against you. As long as you promise not to tell i chose a LS1 over a 3uz for my latest hilux conversion.

Kelvin,

In this case size does matter. The LS1/2/3 is so much smaller on the outside and so much bigger on the inside and then it has a whole lot more power to start with and go fast parts are cheap. Only thing wrong is it has pushrods!

Tom B

I like what you're doing!

Once upon a time in the previous century I bent a Rover V8 into an Austin Healey, what a party!

1UZ into a Morris Garages would be just great!

talkin' about old world UK sports cars; here is something to ponder;

upload_2018-7-15_12-23-36.jpeg

and

index.php

and

11541-cf2907cd431f2bd840801751ed4ec813.jpg

Attachments

• aston-m.jpg
    aston-m.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 103
  • upload_2018-7-15_12-24-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-15_12-24-44.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6
Hi all, my names Tom and I have raced all kinds of cars since I learnt to drive, a lot of these cars have been MGs of various sorts. My main race car at the moment which is just being completed to race this year is a Motus Sports2000, basically a space framed full race car that looks like a Le Mans prototype. Now with that complete and being raced primarily by my father and his brother I need a project and I have just the thing, a 1967 MGB GT that I restored about 8 years ago and used on the road and for track days upto about 5 years ago when the engine went bang, its sat in the garage since. Now it’s fitted with an almost full race suspension set up that was the spare set up for when I used to race a MGB GT prior to selling it and buying the Motus.
What I would like to do is build up a race 1uz fe engine, the rough spec I was thinking is,
1uz fe block
Ported head
Slightly enlarged valves
Race springs etc
Rebuilt bottom end with,
Forged pistons and rods
? CR yet
Balanced crank
Dry sump
Race cams ? Make
Programmable ECU ? MBE
Turbo (1 or 2) ? What do people think and which?
Bespoke intake and exhaust manifolds plus exhaust
Maybe nitrous as a trial
Mated to a manual box

The car is one that I have had for years and would never sell so this is a personal project for me so there is no specific time scale or budget, it will be used for track days maybe some hill climbs but it will not be built to a set of race regs so anything goes spec wise, I would like to keep it running on high grade pump fuel though. Aim i would like ideally over 600 bhp.

I would really appreciate anyone’s feedback on spec, recommended specific items etc the majority of the race engines we have raced/ built in the past have been NA so I am not a turbo expert il happily admit that.

Il post pics as the project progresses and let you all know if you like periodically how it’s all going.

Good to meet everyone and thanks in advance!
Tom
Tom
I like your plan I personally also prefer a NA high revving engine. I am working on something allong the same lines but with a better engine. I am developing a Lexus/Toyota 3UR engine it comes standard with a displacement of 5.7L V8 but I am making changes and having more like minded people we can share cost.
Will pm the project outlines but the and is a healthy 600 plus HP high revving 3UR

Tom, just coming across this post, bit late to the game. I have a highly modifying 1UZ going into a Japanese chassis. It is a race spec motor that dyno'd at 545 hp at 9500. Since I am a fan of the Cosworth DFV this motor is the closet streetable , semi practical unit. There is little left stock except the block and that has different sleeves to take it down to 3.8 lts. I have a ton of new spares, including block, flat crank, heads, pistons, titanium valves etc. If you have not started your build I could help you through some of those bits.
Rick