Help with turbocharging my SC400 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mickesanda

Hi,
My name is Michael, i live in Stockholm, Sweden and i own an SC400 1992 since a couple of years back.
So far the car has been repainted, i replaced the whole interior with new leather, i changed a few suspension details and i'm faced with a dilema:
I really like this car but i feel that it is quite slow for a 4.0L V8. I've been outrun by a newer Volvo family station wagon and it really killed my ego. So my options are:
1. Sell it and buy a Nissan Skyline or similar, which is not near as beautiful as the SC400.
2. Forced induction (single turbo or compressor), moderate boost with a gain of roughly 100 additional HP.

I made some inquiries with local workshops in Stockholm and i got a quote of 10.000 US$ for a single turbo solution, which is roughly what the car is worth. I also noticed that most workshops don't even want to get involved in such a project where there is uncertainty about the parts involved or how things are going to be done.
Don't get me wrong, i am willing to spend some money in order to make this work, however, i do believe that it can be done a lot cheaper. I intend to keep it stock as much as possible.

I have been reading this forum for a while and i followed most build threads (Steve Chumo, SC400TT and so on) so i have an idea of what i'm getting myself into.

I started this thread with the hope that i will get a lot of good advice on how this should be done, what parts i need, maybe if Steve Chumo or some other nice ppl want to send me detailed manufacturing specs, then this would make me a very happy man.
I was thinking that your posts could look like this:
Solution: Single turbo
Injectors: Supra 315CC
Fuel Pump: Walbro 255L/h
Headers: Stock (turned to front)
Turbo: Garret XX
EMU: AEM XXYY
FMIC: xx-x-x-x--x
Description: Relocation of battery, turbo mounted on driver side and so on

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english,
/Mike
DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0659.JPG

What hp/tq figures are you targeting at? Maybe look at obtaining a built 2jzgte (1jzgte) off some wreck if you're tight on the budget?

Thank you for your input:
1. A swap to 2JZ-GTE is a viable and very good alternative, the amount of aftermarket, bolt-on accessories is overwhelming and easily accessible on ebay, it's beginning to grow on me more and more.
2. A supercharger ( a centrifugal one) is definitely a cheaper and easier choice since i am aiming at such a low gain in HP (100HP). I tried to email Lextreme without any response, it seems like most links on www.lextreme.com (forum excluded) are dead so I reckoned that the fish-bracket is no longer available. If Lextreme or anybody else has the fishbracket for sale P.M me please.
Atm i am discussing a single-turbo solution with another member of the forum who's done it himself.

If i were to choose a Vortech centrifugal charger with such moderate boost would i still be needing the bigger injectors and an ECU?

$10k sounds about right... LOTS of fabrication for a v8 Turbo, if you want more economical boost get a supercharger

Really, you think?

Relocate battery to the boot. Reverse the stock manifolds, exhaust crossover pipe, FMIC piping, single Precision turbo, injectors, ECU, fuel pump.

I reckon that could be done for under $5K and still easily surpass the hp target.

It'll definitely give a better result than a centrifugal SC.

If you want a 2J conversion then better off starting with a 1J SC car surely?

So far i've changed these parts on the car:
distribution caps and rotors
spark plugs
pcv valve
all vacuum hoses and many other hoses
a complete chemical washing of the engine(engine flush and intake cleaner)
all filters, including fuel filter and transmission filter
i refurbished the power steering pump
new belt tensioner
did a BFI
new shocks allround
changed brake calipers and refurbished them
changed most of the suspension details except for control arms
new brake disks allround and new brake pads, including parking brake
headlights and taillights, added side markers(in order to pass MOT in Sweden)
i have a new 340l/h fuel pump from ebay don't know if it's any good
i have two new ignition coils (stock) and new steel braided brake lines
/Mike

Really, you think?

Relocate battery to the boot. Reverse the stock manifolds, exhaust crossover pipe, FMIC piping, single Precision turbo, injectors, ECU, fuel pump.

I reckon that could be done for under $5K and still easily surpass the hp target.

It'll definitely give a better result than a centrifugal SC.

If you want a 2J conversion then better off starting with a 1J SC car surely?

labour and all the little bits will chew up that spare $5k, also how much is this turbo and ecu your thinking of?

Decent turbo these days around a grand. Adaptronic the same. There's stuff all about you would need to farm out if you are even half handy with the tools.

If we are talking a workshop build then sure I'd be charging $10k, but home build... $5k pretty easy I reckon if you do it smart.

Yup you can have any two:

Cheap
Fast
reliable

But not all three ;)

But I'm not saying 'cheap' and the bits listed are quality parts matched to the goal. You won't o LeMans racing with that combo but that's not what he wants.

My 400rwkw engine combo was less than $5k and that includes buying the motor and a top shelf Autronic ECU ;) build smart and it can be done

Hehe, i just love to see how such a thread heats up the topic of FI.
I had a fight with my wife about the amount of money that will be spent on the SC400 :mad:
She wanted to rebuild the kitchen, but she let go in the end ;)

/mike

Bring your engine to the kitchen and rebuild it there. Then eventually you'll have to rebuild the kitchen, too ;-)

Decision time

I've been sending PM's back and forth and after lots of reading pros and cons, i've decided to go with supercharger.
I intend to copy KC's setup since he's had it for a while and has been running it with good results.
Here comes a list of parts that i intend to purchase:
1 x Vortech V2 SI, 1150cfm, 22psi
1 x fish bracket from lextreme
8 x 315 CC injectors from Supra MKIII
1 x Walbro fuel pump
1 x LS400 Fan Bracket with Pulley
1 x Water/Methanol injection kit ( please feel free to come with suggestions and comments )
1 x ECU ( please feel free to come with suggestions )
1 x Dual Fan kit (please come with suggestions on manufacturer and/or measurements)

Update:

These parts are already ordered:
• Supercharger Bracket
• LS400 Fan Bracket with pulley kit
• Supercharger Bracket bolt kit
• Idler Pulley Kit
• Vortech Spacer Kit (TBA)
• Oil Fitting Kit

Update

My car has been at the interior shop for the past 3 months, i dropped by today to inspect the progress. They have redone the whole interior, including the console frame, seat and window frames (flocking technique). They promised they will be done with the car on monday.
Here comes a little teaser:
ratt1.jpg

ratt2.jpg

ratt3.jpg

Supercharger pulley

Hi guys,
I placed a bid on a Vortech V2, S trim, CCW rotation on ebay 1250 US$, which is a reasonable price for a rebuilt unit.
Now to my questions:
1. What size would the pulley be?
2. How many ribs?
3. Ratio ?

/Mike

Last edited:
Normally, you don't want coils to swim in ultrasonic bath. It may damage them. Better if you degrease top and bottom separately

End result

Well it didn't help very much to wash them in ultrasonic bath, i don't think degreaser transmits sound waves as good as water, i had to clean them manually.
315cc_1.jpg

Last edited: