Help with MIV 1UZ and manual conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
had a looky for that shifter extension, it wasn't a kit it was a tutorial on making the extension yourself, was a guy on clublexus, what he did looked quite good though, not to complicated but quite well made.

Well, the TB cleaned up ok... :)

No more water passage, no traction etc

l_586f6438b1ec4e12c8a3915929515b72.jpg

good work mate, i'm impressed at how you've cleaned the engine up and powdercoated things, your install will look very clean indeed. cant wait to see pics of it finished and in the car. i also read something recently about the r154 and how the linkages can be lengthened by using parts toyota used when they put the box in the soarer sc400 behind the old inline 6 turbo unit, dont know if you already knew that or not so i thought i'd put it out there!

Well come a long way since my first post!

Motor is now a runner :)

Things left to go before its on the road:

Gearbox cross member
Drive shaft mod
Exhaust from headers to existing back
Clutch line from cylinder and bleed valve
Tuning

Well done Andrew! I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the Link, as well as the driveability of the car vs the 2JZ, etc.

I notice you stayed NA with the 1UZ, did your Supra originally come with the 2JZ-GE or GTE?

Thanks mate, i did a lot more work on the car myself than i thought I would, so feeling pretty stoked. The only labour I paid for was the loom.

I have owned many Links before and have one in my race car, but this is the first of the latest releases (far superior to the previous).

The 2JZ as NA was sluggish. So I am expecting a little improvement over that.

I wanted to get it going NA first to prove the concept and get it on the road. I have an extra manifold or two laying around, the uprated valve springs, turbos, bypass valves etc for the turbo project, and will start doing stuff off the car where I can in prep for forced induction including headers etc. I want to have the car off the road for no longer than a week when I go to turbo. Which will be pulling the motor to do the valve springs and tap oil return etc.

I'll bet you are stoked! That must have been quite a moment when you tweaked the last bolt, fired it up and it ran. I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep that night.

I hear you about doing it NA first, then FI; I'm following a similar strategy, with mine, but out of the car, on an engine dyno. I'm working with a newly built motor too.... Small steps.

Who did your loom, and do you have any pics of it? Is it a modified Supra loom so that it "fits" the engine bay and goes through the bulkhead like the OEM? Plugs straight into the Link or ????

Which direction did you go with your clutch? And I assume since your car was originally a GE version, you still have most of the GE drivetrain, ie the open diff, GE's driveshaft, but you swapped to an R154 tranny, IIRC?

I'm sure there will be lots of questions from the rest of us Supra swappers once it's rolling.

Yeah I will do the engine build(ish) when I go FI. I am looking for some spare heads for my mate to flow and build (port, valves etc). He is a total head porting guru and gets incredible flow results. I want to make 500WHP with as little boost as possible.

A company here called NZEFI did the loom, they did like 3 1UZ looms while they were making mine, thats how many they are doing! Its a totally new loom, new connectors where reasonable (like injectors plugs and relays etc). Since its a custom fit loom it goes through the firewall using the stock rubber housing like OEM, but more discrete. It actually uses the Links loom, so it plugs straight in to the Link obviously. Its all housed in the black stretch sheathing too, which is a nice touch.

I have decided to keep the Tilton Triple plate metallic clutch, it seems anything less just wont hold up to the power I want on a reliable basis.

yeah car was a GE, I dont think I would pull a GTE out! Too expensive a car to do that to... GE are less than a third the price here. The GE had the option for LSD, and I have that option thankfully :) I wont be using all the GE driveshaft, I am hoping the MKIII turbo front half will bolt to the box and fit close to the mount and the rear half will bolt to the diff and hopefully be about the right length... will find out next week, else just make a new drive shaft to whatever spec. But I like the idea of the rubber disk on the end of the rear shaft to dampen the launch, though it may rip apart... will see.

yes using the R154 out of a 1JZ Supra. So the shifter is at 2JZswap.com getting modded to the rear position. I am making a cross member (trying to), to mount the box since it is slightly too short for the chassis.

My car is in a show this weekend, and while I was there visiting and measuring up so things to fabricate next week, 3 guys came upto me planning on doing the conversion after seeing mine. Not cool! haha oh well.

Looks bloody good mate! very clean,think mine another month away from the link :) cant wait! dam i didnt get a chance to go to the show as had work at the home show :(

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 16
Andrew, can't quite tell from your latest engine bay photos - did you go with COP's and use all 8 ignition outputs on that Link, and if so, which COP's did you use?

Attachments

• 1uzfe420bhp.jpg
    1uzfe420bhp.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 15