Help with MIV 1UZ and manual conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Looks awesome btw! i dont know why more people dont do it

Probably because of you paid retail for someone to do the conversion it would cost around $20,000+ to do it! It takes a lot of time and effort researching and pioneering too!

I will ask my bro about it, they are a big company and dont like these little bits, I got lucky as they were doing a run of those colours at the time. Tell me the parts you want done and I will get you an idea on cost.

Lol i dont mean why dont more people dont do the conversion, i mean why people dont powdercoat there parts more. Ill be keen on the tapet covers, and the inlet manifold. cheers

Well, I think a couple of reasons, most 1UZ are used for boats or racing in NZ so those guys dont usually waste money on it, and most US guys love the chrome / polished bling haha.

Its not "that" chea€p either, if you are doing the upper and lower manifold, you should look at the fuel rails too and maybe the TB...

thats a beautiful car m8, and the fact that your putting the effort in to powdercoat parts and make it looks the part aswell says it all. You said you had to use a custom bellhousing and fly, i'm guessing you've probably visited they're site but thor racing here in the UK (and i think he's on here to) have done 1UZ in to a mkIV using an R154 i think, they have their own conversion kit to hook the 1UZ up to a manual R154, i think it using the Auto bellhousing allthough am not sure on that, you've allready done yours but for anyone that is in the process reading this thread thor-racing website might be worth a look, even for just the pics of it in there!

If you're going to spend the money on powder coating, why not consider heat shield coatings?

As I understand it, you should be able to get an extremely durable heat shield coating in different colors, which would be ideal for keeping engine heat "inside" exhaust headers, valve covers, etc. and "outside" the intake manifolds, fuel rails, and TB's, not to mention dressing up the engine bay.

I would think Carl Benton at PolyDyn (or any other high quality coating shop) could offer his coatings in different colors. I made extensive use of PolyDyn's coatings 3-4 years ago when I built my Supra motor, and although my engine bay gets pretty warm after a hard run, it's nothing like other modified Supra owners complain about. In the three years I've been running it (albeit with very low mileage and engine hours) there's been no chips or cracks or degradation of the coatings that I've detected.

I take back what i said about Thor racing, i just seen an article about their car in japanese performace mag, they're looking stupid money for their R154 conversion kit, £1750GBP for a bellhousing, adaptor plate, flywheel, tilton bearing and some stock clutch assembly from another toyota model. add the propshaft in and your looking at £2000GBP, a bit much considering what you get. The setup they have looks a lot like yours except they didn't use your clutch, i hope you didn't pay 5500 NZ dollars for your manual transmission conversion!?!

If you're going to spend the money on powder coating, why not consider heat shield coatings?

As I understand it, you should be able to get an extremely durable heat shield coating in different colors, which would be ideal for keeping engine heat "inside" exhaust headers, valve covers, etc. and "outside" the intake manifolds, fuel rails, and TB's, not to mention dressing up the engine bay.

I would think Carl Benton at PolyDyn (or any other high quality coating shop) could offer his coatings in different colors. I made extensive use of PolyDyn's coatings 3-4 years ago when I built my Supra motor, and although my engine bay gets pretty warm after a hard run, it's nothing like other modified Supra owners complain about. In the three years I've been running it (albeit with very low mileage and engine hours) there's been no chips or cracks or degradation of the coatings that I've detected.

Yeah I will be coating the headers and turbo exhaust housing in a heat coating (I have done this on other cars), but the rest of the stuff I have done already doesnt actually cost me anything as my bro does it...

I take back what i said about Thor racing, i just seen an article about their car in japanese performace mag, they're looking stupid money for their R154 conversion kit, £1750GBP for a bellhousing, adaptor plate, flywheel, tilton bearing and some stock clutch assembly from another toyota model. add the propshaft in and your looking at £2000GBP, a bit much considering what you get. The setup they have looks a lot like yours except they didn't use your clutch, i hope you didn't pay 5500 NZ dollars for your manual transmission conversion!?!

Hey mate, the bellhousing (new) was NZD650, Clutch (Tilton triple plate, used cover new disks)) and Flywheel (billet) was NZD1300, Tilton hydrolic release bearing (used) was NZD200. Total cost NZD2150 or about GBP700.

so you basically built your own solution to the manual trans problem for less than half what thor-racing is charging, thats pretty good, considering you've used a triple plate clutch and the thor unit used a standard OE unit (from a seperate toyota car), nice job, you obviously have done your homework!

so you basically built your own solution to the manual trans problem for less than half what thor-racing is charging, thats pretty good, considering you've used a triple plate clutch and the thor unit used a standard OE unit (from a seperate toyota car), nice job, you obviously have done your homework!

Im going N/A but i managed to source all my parts for even less :happysad: got my new bell housing for nzd$500, New supra turbo clutch for nzd$470, New billet flywheel nzd$315, not bad aye.

is the bellhousing your using a completly new casting (design) or is it just a modified stock bellhousing? the thor-racing car uses an adaptor plate with the stock sc400 auto bellhousing, this was the route i was considering, also what flywheel are you using with it? is it a billet fly made for a supra turbo or is it custom

is the bellhousing your using a completly new casting (design) or is it just a modified stock bellhousing? the thor-racing car uses an adaptor plate with the stock sc400 auto bellhousing, this was the route i was considering, also what flywheel are you using with it? does it have to be custom even with the new bellhousing

Im using a completly new casting for the w series gearboxs, was going to use an adaptor plate and auto bellhousing but the new casting is much lighter and stronger.Using a custom flywheel on mine, designed esp for these conversions. The trouble is there is no flywheel off the toyota shelf that bolts up to the 1uz, unless you go to a custom setup. You can get them off www.trademe.co.nz and do a search for 1uz etc

Thanks alot for sharing that site m8, have never heard of it before but the first page of 1uz stuff had more on it that ebay did! it would seem that going down the custom bellhousing route is not as expensive as i thought, may even save a few headaches, he makes kit for both the r and w series which is good. the flywheel that was on there didn't have the ring gear, i take it you used ring gear of something else? soarer?

Thanks alot for sharing that site m8, have never heard of it before but the first page of 1uz stuff had more on it that ebay did! it would seem that going down the custom bellhousing route is not as expensive as i thought, may even save a few headaches, he makes kit for both the r and w series which is good. the flywheel that was on there didn't have the ring gear, i take it you used ring gear of something else? soarer?

No worrys at all, its a great site. Shows ya how keen us kiwis are on these engines. Its a really tidy peice of kit that bellhousing, and was really suprised how light it was. We havint got to the stage where we sorting the ring gear yet so im not sure, but ill be keen on ideas ?

e-solver, i think i seen somwhere a kit for repostioning the shifter on a r154, (not the thor one) i 'll have look when i get off work. 325i i haven't worked on the 1uz before so i dont know for sure but maybe you can heat the ring gear off the original transmission and remove it then get it put on your new flywheel, thats assuming the dimensions are the same, other than that you can get friendly with a motor factor(dont know what you call them in NZ, parts supplier type person?!) and ask him to leave you alone for a while with the parts catologues and find a stock item with the same dimensions as your part, i wouldn't like to think how much it would cost to have teeth cut on a flywheel, probably as much as what you paid for it!