Help with MIV 1UZ and manual conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

4000GT

Supra MKIV 1UZ Twin Turbo and manual conversion

Well I brought a 1993 Aerotop MIV Supra Auto NA.

The plan is a a manual 1UZ TT conversion. The goal is an extremely responsive 500WHP daily driver and mild circuit car on low boost with a little bit of show mixed in. It will be running a Link G2 computer. Stage one is just the 1UZ conversion and the manual swap. Stage 2 will be the turbo's etc.

I have read through and not found exactly the information I am looking for. I know some of this will be covered elsewhere so I apologise for the repeat questions if any. So the questions are!

1. What sump position 1UZ do I need to clear the cross member etc? Rear?

2. Do I need new engine mounts or are the alloy single pin bolt in?

3. I have talked to a guy with a Crown 1UZ TT and he used a R151 box and dropped the transfer case and made some custom shafts. This looked like an awesome idea given the cheapness of the 4WD box and it holds (I am told) 700+WHP

4. I have bell housing, flywheel, and clutch sorted, but what are the other bits needs for the conversion to manual with the 1UZ? i.e. pedal box, master cylinders, cables, gear knob and console surround etc? I am trying to get a complete “shopping list” of the parts so I can hording as this will be a looooong project!

5. Of the conversion parts, which are just easier and best to buy new from Toyota?

6. Any other snags? J

NZ.

You will need the SC400/Soaror (UZZ-31) oilpan.

As for all the other stuff, you will need the manual trans components from a MKIV manual trans car i.e. peddle box, MC, ect.... If you are using a R series box, you will probably have to have a custom DS made to fit.

Yeah, the R154 boxes are strong. Only real problem with then is the thrust bearing breaking and they are not the smothest shifting boxes either. But for the most part, good reliable and pretty strong boxes.

the only thing that I would think that would be better is Titanium, but I dont think that it is really worth the cost and difficulty of mechining. I'm sure that one from some 4130 would be perfectly fine. To me though, it seems thought that a slightly higher RA# finish would be better for retaining oil on it cause I think that the issue is poor lubrication cause every one that I have ever seen broken has severly heated (blued and heat checked). remember, there is no type of oil feed to the Thrust Washer, so having it Graphite coated (like they do to the skirts of pistons) would possibly help substanually. Just my thoughts though

You will need the SC400/Soaror (UZZ-31) oilpan.

As for all the other stuff, you will need the manual trans components from a MKIV manual trans car i.e. peddle box, MC, ect.... If you are using a R series box, you will probably have to have a custom DS made to fit.

I think the SC/Soarer is a platform car with the 93+ Supra.

edit: nice sounding project.

I think the SC/Soarer is a platform car with the 93+ Supra.

edit: nice sounding project.

This is true. I know here in the states, the SC300 is basically a N/A MKIV Supra with a different body. I do know that the peddle box/assembly will directly interchange.

I did a 1JZ swap and Manual converson not to long ago into a SC300 chassis. The motor and R154 trans came from a MKIII (JZA70) Supra and just about everything else came from a MKIV (JZA80) Supra.

One other thing to add that I didn't notice anyone mention and I forgot, is the stock V8 Soaror mounts and alloy stands should bolt right into the MKIV subframe.

Also, as far as I know, you will have to fab a custom tranny crossmember. I could be wrong here though. Just basing this off of the 1JZ/R154 swap that I did into a SC300/Soaror. Being that you are in NZ, you might be able to find something from another car that will bolt in. We here in the states lack a lot of good cars (i.e. JZA70 Supra)

Sump clears without mod, mounts though rooted bolt straight up, tonnes of room everywhere (though have to remove AC for when the turbo's go on. Picking the right 1UZ version is critical. Ummmm d-loomed it a little and will be putting the fuse box in the front bumper somewhere I think. Props to P-Dog.

753956_111_full.jpg

753956_110_full.jpg

753956_109_full.jpg

Well to answer my own questions

1. What sump position 1UZ do I need to clear the cross member etc?
Rear, off the Soarer for those in NZ

2. Do I need new engine mounts or are the alloy single pin bolt in?

Single pin bolt in, but expect the engines to be rooted and bank on NZD400 for new ones.

3. I have talked to a guy with a Crown 1UZ TT and he used a R151 box and dropped the transfer case and made some custom shafts. This looked like an awesome idea given the cheapness of the 4WD box and it holds (I am told) 700+WHP
I have got an R154, not sure about the power capabilty of the R151, time will tell if I snap this one

4. I have bell housing, flywheel, and clutch sorted, but what are the other bits needs for the conversion to manual with the 1UZ? i.e. pedal box, master cylinders, cables, gear knob and console surround etc? I am trying to get a complete “shopping list” of the parts so I can hording as this will be a looooong project!
Yes pedal box, or just get a cylinder to suit the box, also add a custom drive shaft

5. Of the conversion parts, which are just easier and best to buy new from Toyota?
Get the manual console off Nic Vollans from Importpimp, under 1/2 Toyotas price

6. Any other snags?
Will let you know!