HELP ! U1ZE Transplant. What do I need ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

smallfry

Right, new to all this, first post and getting a headache with information overload...................

I cant seem to find a list as such, and would like some help with what I need to know ! A bit bewildered ATM

Not thought about it before, but have the opportunity to strip the engine and whatever I need from a low milage 1992 LS400 in order to install into a completely different vehicle.................

So picture the scene. I have the complete donor vehicle in front of me, with the bonnet up................Apart from the engine and gearbox itself, what do I NEED to take off ?

And what would also be handy to have as its there ?

Do I also need stuff like keys and transponders ?

Thanks in advance

HI,

What are you putting it in?

I think at that age they are pre immobilisers, so no key issues?

You will need the ecu's and wiring loom, goes through the bulkhead on the NS and the ecu's are under the glove box (burried)

Keep the prop as you'll need this to adapt later.

I'm in the middle of doing it as well.Nice that your in the UK

Cheers

Andrew

You need to ensure you get everything electrically connected tot he engine.

This includes the igniters (two black boxes bolted to the body), charcoal canister (this is connected tot he intake via a hose), radiator, (it may be of use) power steering hoses (may be useful), gear shifter, front half of exhaust, the plugs off the vehicle wiring loom that plug into the computer.

I would also get the body wiring to the shifter.

Plus anything else you think you could use.

Do you want to get the cruise control running?

I know I will have forgotten something but there's a days work in that.

Thanks for the replies guys !

Probably going into a Land Rover 90, but I am a bit worried that it will not be torquey enough at the bottom end. I am not really interested in uber perfomance as such, more the reliability relative economy and smoothness of a (more) modern engine design.

And its something to do !

Wouldnt be interested in cruise control, but might want to adapt the autobox also, which I understand is ECU controlled.

You mention ECUs plural............is there more than one ?

What are you converting Andrew ?

Hi,

I'm putting mine into my Warrior (former Range Rover) comp safari racer.

I'm going to aftermarket ecu for trans and engine.

I'm converting the autobox to 4x4 with a Toyota transfer box, it just about bolts on.

I don't think you'll find lack of torque an issue, these make a Rover V8 look like an elastic band.

Cheers

Andy

I have one in my RR DAKAR and there's heaps more torque than the old 4.2 Rover engine I had in it.

Biggest hurdle I see is the timing belt tensioner is right where the Panhard wants to live.

My engine sits quite high and I have a 2"body lift to help things along.

Suspension is up around 5" also.

Mine was originally an Aussie Safari car.

Still not got round to removing the engine but will be shortly !

What about something like the diagnostic plug for the ECU ? Would that be useful to have, and if so, where would I find it on an LS400 ?

Just out of interest and probably in the wrong section, but can the standard ECUs be tweaked or remapped ? I know some vehicles can be done and are not too expensive, or is is just easier to Megasquirt it ?

I am in the Uk and still trying to work out what wires I need or don't need to make it run ok.
I think the diagnostic plug is on the engine block, only 1 ECU in glovebox you need all plugs so I have been told.

As for what you need, I have the pedal assembly, engine/trans, ecu petrol tank, exhaust, dash, rad and all the stuff attached to engine, igniters, maf, power steering pump, throttle cable, prop, gearbox/engine mounts cross-members, hoses, fuel pump control box and a few other bits.
I guess I wont be using all of this stuff but it is there in case, I have downloaded a load of wiring info and it goes right over my head.

so I intend to connect everything back up on the garage floor and get it running, then cut wires and junk stuff that it doesn't need to keep it running .. that's the theory anyway ;o)
Do you know what you are doing or are you hoping to wing it, like I am..?

Last edited:

Well, I have done alien engine swaps before with old fashined American stuff, so I am ok with the mechanical stuff like having to make a sump pan, exhaust manifolds, gearbox adaptor etc, its just a matter of keeping it simple and figuring the best way of going about it.

To me its a bit like playing chess. I will spend hours pondering on something like an engine mount for example, and considering how it will effect things several moves ahead, and then just do it.............

Of course it doesnt always work out.

This SEEMS to be in another league, but It probably isnt. Its the electronics and all that this entails which mystifies me.

Another problem is that i just do not seem to be able to find any spare time of late, and also the permanently near zero budget.

I hope it doesnt end up another of those unfinished projects..............

The LS400 has 2 diagnostic ports. One on the engine and one above the driver's legs. Get both.

There are excellent and easy to follow wiring diagrams and descriptions available by Googling the number of pins or plugs your ECU has. Or try this https://www.google.com.au/#q=ls400+wiring+diagram

These ECU's can't be hacked to improve or modify the program in them but small gains can be had with a piggyback unit..

Now this will likely be a UCF10 LS400 so obviously you need the ignitors, AFM sub O2 sensors and wiring (which you will need to pick out of the LS main loom) ECU body side plug and while some say you need the diagnosis plug from above the drivers legs you can get away without it if you don't wish to run live data via a scan tool. otherwise remove that too but leave enough length on the wiring to be able to hook it up.

Performance upgrades? Well for a start if you can find some a set of green top injectors should be up there on your shopping list. Good free flowing exhaust manifolds and a good exhaust system. Also another really good, simple and relatively cheap upgrade is to fit the ECU from the equivalent model (UCF11) JDM Celsior as these have better fuel and ignition maps along with the "Smog function" that the LS ECU has deleted. Done this on a couple of LS400s and it really opens them up (not that they are a slug to start with).

What can you expect in terms of performance from your Landy? Well to give and example a friend of mine recently fitted a 1UZ to his FJ40 SWB Landcruiser (shorty 40) which is about the same size and weight as the 90 inch LR. He has a bit of a bodged up and quite restrictive exhaust yet the thing is quite a lively performer. We found during the conversion (and this will apply to the LR) that swapping the front sump to a rear sump (Soarer/SC400) solved more problems than it created, The Soarer/SC400 oil filter housing was also used which meant that a remote oil filter was not needed

Well, I have done alien engine swaps before with old fashined American stuff, so I am ok with the mechanical stuff like having to make a sump pan, exhaust manifolds, gearbox adaptor etc, its just a matter of keeping it simple and figuring the best way of going about it.

To me its a bit like playing chess. I will spend hours pondering on something like an engine mount for example, and considering how it will effect things several moves ahead, and then just do it.............

Of course it doesnt always work out.

This SEEMS to be in another league, but It probably isnt. Its the electronics and all that this entails which mystifies me.

Another problem is that i just do not seem to be able to find any spare time of late, and also the permanently near zero budget.

I hope it doesnt end up another of those unfinished projects..............

I am in the Uk and still trying to work out what wires I need or don't need to make it run ok.
I think the diagnostic plug is on the engine block, only 1 ECU in glovebox you need all plugs so I have been told.

As for what you need, I have the pedal assembly, engine/trans, ecu petrol tank, exhaust, dash, rad and all the stuff attached to engine, igniters, maf, power steering pump, throttle cable, prop, gearbox/engine mounts cross-members, hoses, fuel pump control box and a few other bits.
I guess I wont be using all of this stuff but it is there in case, I have downloaded a load of wiring info and it goes right over my head.

so I intend to connect everything back up on the garage floor and get it running, then cut wires and junk stuff that it doesn't need to keep it running .. that's the theory anyway ;o)

Hi guys, if you want to send your engine/transmission wiring looms (they're integrated as one loom and it all unplugs) to me I can prepare them for you for a fee.
I modify them so that the engine/transmission wiring remains a separate unit with it's own fuses and relays and leaves the recipient vehicle's wiring untouched.
All you need to connect when you get the loom back is your fuel pump, battery voltage, ignition voltage, one oil pressure or alternator wire and an earth/ground.
I've done a few looms now, just finished my sixteenth and currently working on my thirteenth conversion.
PM me if interested.
Cheers.

What is the cost Bushwacker? Do I just send the wiring that is on the engine/trans loom?
What about the 4th plug for the ECU wiring, is that where I wire in the fuel pump etc?

Thanks for that Bushwhacker, I will bear it in mind. Now that I have collected it, I need to get it physically fitted first, and there are several issues to solve first !

First one being, when you look at the gearbox from behind (its an A341E from an LS400) in the tail housing, there is a sensor in the left and a bigger square box thing on the right. I believe they are both speed sensors, but what I need to know is, firstly what do they do, and secondly, are they both necessary for the operation of the gearbox and the transplant in general ?