Seller Feedback Header Question?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibby

Curious does anyone know if wrapping the aftermarket headers causes them too become less noisy or does it only help with reducing heat transfer? What are the all the advantages of wrapping, I forgot?

hi,, i have had some experience wrapping headers,, and i recomend not wrapping them.. if the headers normally get hot,, the wrap will not allow it to cool naturally.. eventually your headers will end up junk--..

i would only wrap headers in an all out "race "vehicle..it does work-reduce underhood temps, and keeps the heat inside the tube, but in a street driven vehicle,, i would not wrap..
remember,, this is all just my opinion..
differing opinions are welcome..

OK I believe you, I remember an I wrapped some headers on my small block Chevy 283, about 10 years ago and could not remember the advantages. Thanks I will not wrap. Any other ideas on how to deaden the noise levels that are probably going to shake the neighborhood, I have straight thru mufflers and my car is loud as it is?

jibby said:
Curious does anyone know if wrapping the aftermarket headers causes them too become less noisy or does it only help with reducing heat transfer? What are the all the advantages of wrapping, I forgot?
I have read that wrapping the headers will make them rust quicker.

My header wrap worked out fine on my 283, but I did notice some rust build up after a year but I also remember the heat being reduced.

I had wrapped headers on my Chevy Small blocks for years and I did not notice them end up like junk. I am living near the Ocean and my thinking was the wrapping will protect the header from rust, reduce heat transfer and noise... I have done this with three sets of american headers in the past, years ago... I also notice they still sell alot of header wrap in the supershops...Are you positively sure this is a bad idea with a brand like S&S Headers... Remember, heat robs horsepower, and caused wires to become brittle faster....Just want to double check.....

wrapping the header keeps the heat inside the tube.. this increases velocity-thus increases the flow thru the header.. because the heat is kept inside the tube, and not allowed to radiate,, underhood things like spark plug wires, wires, fuel lines, etc., will stay cooler.. this is also advantagouss--but i have seen high horsepower cars with heat wrap,, and this puts extra stress,(that may not be the right word) on the metal.. this usually leads to a premature failure in the tube..even disintigration--BUT,, this all depends on how much power/heat your engine is making ..

so,, if the benefits outway the negatives-go ahead and wrap them.. remember that an engine that is not making alot of power/heat may not do any damage to the tube.. but i have heard people say that a wrapped nascar header will be tottally gone after one nascar race..the quote was,"the only thing holding the header together after the race was the wrap"..

Thanks chrisman that make sense. I don't think I will be putting out more then 500hp any time soon, but well over 400hp, so based on the that amount of power and the nos I am running I will leave the headers alone for now and not wrap.... I remember I was putting out 325hp on the last chevy header wrap I did and that was on a 283 Small Block and had no problems what so ever for over a year except maybe a little rust at the ends but not much. Unless I hear any further positive posts about header wrap for this SC400, I will pass for now....Thanks again..