Project Thread Harrop HTV1900 Supercharger (Eaton TVS) 1999 Hilux Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Supercharged 1UZ-FE intercooler

just looking at the photo's.... where does the intercooler go ? Is it sitting under the supercharger ?...... not sure what i'm looking at ........ :confused:

fastegg...

Thanks. Yes, the main part of the intercooler is mounted beneath the supercharger. Probably a bit hard to see in the photos, but if you compare the pictures to the previous ones you should be able to see the difference. Price wise, I'm not really sure, I try not to think about things like that, haha, but would have to imagine it is somewhere around there, could all be done cheaper, but I like to have everything done how I want it, so usually ends up a tad more expensive.

WDoherty...

Yes, I'm keen to see what kind of difference we can make with it also. As for the prices, you have to keep in mind it is not exactly a common engine to modify so to me you would have to expect things to be a little pricey. But at the end of the day, they are a business and do have to keep themselves afloat.

thats a blower kit for you, WDoherty

there's not much difference in price between bullet to richwood for parts?

the eaton kits goes for just over $5k without w2a intercooler
the harrop kits goes for just over $6k without w2a intercooler
my whipple kit from richwood cost over $10K without w2a intercooler

Last edited by a moderator:
intercooler kit

Hi tuflux..... yes i looked at all the pictures and you can notice its a little higher...... so does the intercooler have water pumped thru it ?
was the difference noticable / worth the money ?
how much more boost can you run ?
how much was the intercooler kit all up ?

Hi tuflux..... yes i looked at all the pictures and you can notice its a little higher...... so does the intercooler have water pumped thru it ?
was the difference noticable / worth the money ?
how much more boost can you run ?
how much was the intercooler kit all up ?

Yeh, thankfully not too high though, all still fits under the bonnet with no modifications.

Yes it works just like the radiator for your engine, water is pumped through a heat exchanger at the front of the car which cools down the water passing through it then pumped back to the intercooler itself where the heat is drawn from the intake air pumping through the cooler core.

It's still not completed yet, about 3/4 of the way through plumbing the lines, all the parts are mounted so pretty much a matter of putting everything else back together after that.

As for how much boost you can run, well thats a pretty broad question and depends on alot of things. How much you feel is safe to run taking into account IATs and so on, how much the engine can handle, etc. There is no real set number.

To buy the intercooler kit complete with everything you needed I believe it was around $2500, though I only purchased the intercooler itself and brought the rest myself.

V8 intercooled

WOW.... ive see lots'o'mods aeound but yours takes the cake....... Ive spent literally hundreds of hours on line seaching thru forums and part numbers trying to be able to put a Supra LSD centre in my '99 LS..... but thats noth'in..... although it appears no one in the world has put an LSD Torsen2 in a '99 LS so i'm on a mission......
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... :(

Hi Tuf Lux

I am about to do the same to my 1992 4Runer, only I'm runnng a GM M90 supercharger. Just waiting for my intercooler from Bullet.
I had a custom alloy radiator and resivour made by Leisure Coast Welders at Albion Park NSW for the intercooler. They will also be fabricating a 4 row crossflow aloy radiator. They only use Australian made cores.

I am using a Bosch water pump, the same one they use in the A2W intercooler on the superchaged Mustangs.
I have a Haltech Platinum Sports 2000 ecu with new complete wireing loom.
Should be getting it underway mid October.

Your Lux is very neat and tidy, its a credit to you mate.

And remember "When in doubt POWER OUT " :D

Tack

Hey Tuf Lux

I forgot, I'm putting a 2000 model Prado disc brake rear end in also.
You should be able to drop one into yours as the Lux and Prado share the same running gear.
Have a look........

WOW.... ive see lots'o'mods aeound but yours takes the cake....... Ive spent literally hundreds of hours on line seaching thru forums and part numbers trying to be able to put a Supra LSD centre in my '99 LS..... but thats noth'in..... although it appears no one in the world has put an LSD Torsen2 in a '99 LS so i'm on a mission......
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... :(

Thanks again for the compliments. That's the way, it is always good to do something different. Plus the torsen has proven to be a pretty descent centre for myself thus far.

I am about to do the same to my 1992 4Runer, only I'm runnng a GM M90 supercharger. Just waiting for my intercooler from Bullet.
I had a custom alloy radiator and resivour made by Leisure Coast Welders at Albion Park NSW for the intercooler. They will also be fabricating a 4 row crossflow aloy radiator. They only use Australian made cores.

I am using a Bosch water pump, the same one they use in the A2W intercooler on the superchaged Mustangs.
I have a Haltech Platinum Sports 2000 ecu with new complete wireing loom.
Should be getting it underway mid October.

Your Lux is very neat and tidy, its a credit to you mate.

And remember "When in doubt POWER OUT " :D

Tack

I forgot, I'm putting a 2000 model Prado disc brake rear end in also.
You should be able to drop one into yours as the Lux and Prado share the same running gear.
Have a look........

Sounds like a pretty cool project you have happening there. Be sure to put some pics up on here too.

As for the diff, seeing as this car mainly will be seeing drag strip duties. I think if I begin having too many problems with the hilux diff and I start looking for a replacement, I will probably be going straight to the trusty old ford 9inch. Although a few people do seem to make some nice goodies for the hilux diffs.

Hilux041.jpg

Hilux042.jpg

Hilux040.jpg

New work mate,

Can you take some pictures of your belt routing? I am this stage right now and looks like i might need an additional idler pulley...

I take it that you are having issues with the belt rubbing against that right hand side plastic cam cover?

At that stage in the pictures above, the plastic cover was simply heated and moulded in a bit to make enough clearance.

Now with the intercooler install, we have machined the old hydraulic fan pump down and mounted an alloy plate to the front of it and just runs 3 small idlers. One in place of the factory top idler, another in place of the old hydraulic pump pulley and we have put another just above the air con compressor and made them all adjustable. So that way we can make sure the belt clears the covers, still keeps enough belt wrap on all the pulleys plus gives a bit extra working space infront of the engine.

Yes sir, I understand they are a business and demand is limited so the community should be should be thankful even such parts are produced. At the same time it makes me sad to realize that it truley does take deep pockets to get sig. gains out of this engine. Like I said, i can't wait to see the power differences with the lower intake temps, best of luck(from seeing your work, i don't think you need luck, haha) .

fastegg...

Thanks. Yes, the main part of the intercooler is mounted beneath the supercharger. Probably a bit hard to see in the photos, but if you compare the pictures to the previous ones you should be able to see the difference. Price wise, I'm not really sure, I try not to think about things like that, haha, but would have to imagine it is somewhere around there, could all be done cheaper, but I like to have everything done how I want it, so usually ends up a tad more expensive.

WDoherty...

Yes, I'm keen to see what kind of difference we can make with it also. As for the prices, you have to keep in mind it is not exactly a common engine to modify so to me you would have to expect things to be a little pricey. But at the end of the day, they are a business and do have to keep themselves afloat.

Yes sir, I understand they are a business and demand is limited so the community should be should be thankful even such parts are produced. At the same time it makes me sad to realize that it truley does take deep pockets to get sig. gains out of this engine. Like I said, i can't wait to see the power differences with the lower intake temps, best of luck(from seeing your work, i don't think you need luck, haha) .

That's fine. Was just saying there is more to the story that's all. But yes, it is unfortunate we don't quite have it as good parts wise as the american V8s, etc.

Thanks. I'm keen to see how well it works too. Unfortunately we won't be able to see the true gain power wise, as there has been a transmission conversion to an automatic since the last time it was on the rollers. But I should be able to get a fair indication of the difference it makes where it counts for me... on the drag strip. :)

Latest Modifications

Well guys, it has been a while since my last updates due to other changes and distractions but the latest lot of modifications have finally been completed and the car was dyno tuned a couple of weeks ago.

Since the last time it has been on the dyno there has been a few changes. Here is a list of the major changes:
-Gearbox conversion (Ford C4 3 speed automatic)
-Custom built 8in torque convertor (Approx. 4000rpm stall)
-W2A intercooler (Bullet Intercooler Core, PWR Radiator, Meziere Pump)
-Plazmaman 85mm throttle body
-12psi supercharger pulley

Pre modifications, the car made 272.5rwkw, 550rwnm through the manual. Inlet temperatures sat around mid 70deg c in low 20deg c ambient temperatures. This was made with almost 10.5psi boost.

Post modifications, the car has coincidentally made 272.5rwkw again, but with 680rwnm and the power/torque coming in alot sooner now through the auto and large stall convertor. Inlet temps consistently sat around 58-60deg c in 31deg c ambient temperatures whilst on the dyno. The supercharger is now producing about 12.3psi boost.

Since being re-tuned, the car now feels ALOT more lively and responsive from the hit of throttle at any speed/rpm. Most noticeable though at lower city speeds where quite a bit of extra care needs to be taken in applying the throttle.

Seeing that the car had not been on the dyno after the gearbox conversion, you cant really get an idea of the true power gains from the added boost, intercooler and throttle body changes. But, I should be able to let you know the difference in quarter mile times once I return to the track.

Anyways, enough talking for now, below are a few pictures of the engine bay as it now sits today.

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02663.jpg

DSC02661.jpg

Show car quality workmanship. Very nice.

Noticed the change of the throttle inlet tubing. Like it.

Why the change to the automatic?

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I'm very happy with the finished product.

Show car quality workmanship. Very nice.

Noticed the change of the throttle inlet tubing. Like it.

Why the change to the automatic?

Reason for the change to the automatic is because I will be competitively drag racing the car. After having already destroyed a manual first pass out when the supercharger was newly installed, I opted for the more consistent and reliable choice.

I thoroughly enjoy driving manuals, but to be honest, for my use and personal preference, I wouldnt even think of going back to a manual in this car. It has become much more enjoyable to drive, not to mention added piece of mind when heading to the drags.