Halfcut questions...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MWP

Hi all,

I had a quick look at a UCF11 half cut today.
92,000KM on the odo, dusty as hell, so it looks like its been sitting around for a while.

The guy selling it says he will do a compression test on it tomorrow (ill be there for it).
What numbers should i be hoping for?
Will they be a bit low as it hasnt been run in quite a while, and by how much?

Its missing the alternator... how easy/difficult are these to find?

If its all good, he will pull the engine, loom, ecu and any other little bits i want (no trans) for me for $1200 (AU).
Sound ok?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• HPIM0290.jpg
    HPIM0290.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM0289.jpg
    HPIM0289.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 25
they are hard to find the alternators

just a warning 1uzs are old and have alotofkms these days

been chatting to guys at sss and they say the celsiors are very nice carsso they are usually run to the ground so alot of them these days have over
150g kms

anyway just make sure the speedo or dash hasnt been changed and if the speedo or dash is not there i garantee the 99g kms are bullshit

Thanks sideshow.
The dash is still in it, it did say 92,xxx KMs.
Is it possible to fit an alternator from a different car (ie, something thats common in aus)?

Anyone have an answer on the compression?

Thanks!

not sure but i doubt it
alternaotrs are hard to find just ring some places

i know a stuffed alternator costs 400 bucks to fix up from past experience on customers cars

Aha thats what I'm building... Turbo, powerglide, tubbed though..Strip and powercruise events..Tohc so I can run at "Bracket Attack" events..

You could fit another alternator easy...
Ford and Holden 120 amp alternators are around $100 at wreckers..
You'll need to fab brackets, but to me no big deal...
Or take your stuffed one to wreckers and compare to other Toyota brands etc...

Nice, mine will be road reg'ed... it just passes.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking of doing for the alternator.
Since sideshow is the car elec guru, what he said had me worried about doing that.

So... about those compression numbers? ;)

I guess around 150 / 160 Lb ??
But on cold engine it will be lower.. Make sure he hasn't squirted oil in cylinders before testing...
The main thing is they are all aprox the same.. Check e bay ?? There's often a few on there..

I bought mine from Ichiban in Sydney.For $650 with auto. I didn't care too much on condition as I was going to fit forged c.p pistons and Argo rods..
I think a mid sump will be better so it fits between steering rack and front crossmember ?? Though I may fit latter model Xmember?? With rack and pinion steering.. I can modify as I'm not building for road use...

Full results are in:
cyl1 - 180
cyl2 - 155
cyl3 - 155
cyl4 - 145
cyl5 - 140
cyl6 - 145
cyl7 - 150
cyl8 - 155

Opinions?
Remeber this is an engine that hasnt be run in who knows how long, and the test was done cold.

Try ebay in the states. I got my alternator with the engine (same guy) for 15 bucks. SC400 alternator 140A I recall. If you can get one for near that it may be worth shipping overseas.

Zuffen is right the numbers should be close. but a compression check should be done with the motor warmed up. if you didnt start the motor up and run it to warm it up the numbers are off and more then likly low and not consistant. these numbers should come togather a little more after its been run.

on my 1uz i got right around 170 on each cyl. to give you an idea.

Well im thinking the cyl1 pressure of 180 is due to some oil in there.
Its the only reason why it would be so high with the engine cold.

The small importer where the 1/2 cut is located say they dont have the gear to get it going (fuel pump, etc).

They will give me a warranty on it.

All you need is a battery and fuel tank/pump.

If you're going to need a pump and/or tank I would buy it now and use it to start the engine.

You only eed to hook up the feed and return lines (a bit of hose and some jubilee clamps and you're away.

As Jake said let it warm up then do a compression check on it.

Ok, they are going to let me start it up before buying it in thier yard.

Do i need anything to start the half cut besides fuel pump, battery, wiring & fuel hose?
Anything else i need to do?

Ok, they are going to let me start it up before buying it in thier yard.

Do i need anything to start the half cut besides fuel pump, battery, wiring & fuel hose?
Anything else i need to do?

can I come with you? :) haha

I'm being dead serious btw, sure, I don't know you, but so what? haha

we're assuming the halfcut still has the ECU, right? you've seen it in place? cos that would kinda help.

You will need a fuel container of some description to attach the fuel pump to and accept the return line.

Any fuel tanlk will work as you can always shove the fuel return line down the filler tube.