GS400 vs LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme

Administrator
Staff member
I know a GS400 has been known to dyno at over 225 rwhp. My 95 LS estimates at about 200rwhp, where is the GS getting its other 25 whp?

Also, would mods for a GS400 work for my LS400?

Things like SRT intakes and chips are quite abundant for th eGS, what is preventing us from using them on our LS?

Depends on the dyno.

I can do to one dyno and get 50hp more than the previous dyno, or even 50hp less.

It depends how the operator set it up, and what temperature it was, how high above sea-level, atmospheric pressure etc etc.

I'd say ignore it.

i have heard that the 98 and up gs 400 heads are a bit diff than earlier heads--breathe better.. i know the vvt also helps with the power/drivability.. it keeps about the same power thruout the rpm range..truthfully, i think the 98 and up 400s make more than the rated HP..

I keep hearing people saying that you can get differnt HP readings from dynos... i dont get it, i thought they are supposed to be accurate? are they only ment for estimates? i wouldnt want to spend 60$ to have my car dynoed just to find out its around blah blah blah HP. Whats up with this? How are you supposed to find out what rwhp you really have???

How are you supposed to find out what rwhp you really have???
Take the motor out, put it on an engine dyno.
Find out the exact flywheel horse power.

Do lots of calculations in your drivetrain to see how much loss your are getting through it.

IMO the best way to calculate HP is at the race track..go to the track, find out your mph at the end of the quarter.. also find out your cars exact weight with you in it-- and there you go.. exact HP..

While the 1/4mi is the probably the best way to test it, there are also a few factors that can influence it.

Things like ambient temperature, track temp, tyre stickiness, air pressure etc.
I know some US track are up to several thousand feet above sealevel, where as my local one, I believe is the closest to sea level in the world, so the air is nice and dense here on a cool night.

Plus, the biggest factor of the 1/4mi is the driver.
If you don't know how to drive, you will be slower.
The dyno removes that portion of the human factor.

Peewee said:
Plus, the biggest factor of the 1/4mi is the driver.
If you don't know how to drive, you will be slower.
The dyno removes that portion of the human factor.

but since YOU'LL be driving the car if ever you race it, then driver skill SHOULD be taken into account anyway.

dyno's are good for back to back HP readings after mods.

to see who's car goes quicker.... nothing beats the 1/4 mile.

PLUS - put a mach truck on a dyno....it'll pull over 1000hp.
what does that tell you about how quick it is? nothing.
weight is just as important as HP with respect to performance and dyno's don't take this into account, unlike a 1/4 mile.

just my 2 cents.

hp is the measurement of the ability to do work or work performed.. torque is more of a direct way to interperate STRENGTH.. when we think of HP, we usually think of the strength of the motor--but torque is a better way to interperate strength.. i think i just confused all over myself.. :) ..
what im trying to say is HP is calculated from torque.. torque is a better way to describe the feeling we get when were driving around..
in a quarter mile race, you may be getting different ets all day, but your mph should stay more consistant..unless you somehow affect the output of the engine--for example-nitrous..

hey red supra, hows your project going? ive come up with a simple circuit to run 8 additional inj-- using the stock ecu--perfect for methanol..i should be able to test it soon..

mybrainisimmense said:
I know a GS400 has been known to dyno at over 225 rwhp. My 95 LS estimates at about 200rwhp, where is the GS getting its other 25 whp?

Also, would mods for a GS400 work for my LS400?

Things like SRT intakes and chips are quite abundant for th eGS, what is preventing us from using them on our LS?

Since I have owned both a 96 LS400 (same as the 95-97) and now a 99 LS400 (same as 98-00) I can answer you... The 1995 LS400 got about a 25-30hp boost to 260hp and 270tq. I say this because I believe the 1990-1994 LS400 and 1992-1995 SC400 engines made closer to 230-235hp crankshaft 175-180rwhp. The boost in 95 came from slightly longer exhaust cam duration, 4 tenths more compression (10.0 to 10.4) and dual tube exhaust manifolds. In 98 the LS and SC400 got the same engine as the GS400. Compression went to 10.5, variable valve timing was introduced, a much better intake manifold with variable length runners. The LS and SC have slightly more restrictive exhaust manifolds and this results in a 290hp/300tq rating vs. the 300hp/310tq of the GS400.

I'm waiting to get my cylinder heads back from being ported and what not. After that, going to start on making the exhaust manifolds.
I know that the early year 1uz ecu uses only 4 injector drivers. While the later 1uz ecu uses all 8 injectors drivers built onto the ecu. Since i'm using the AEM EMS if it comes down when i will outgrow 8 160lbs/hr injectors i will switch to batch fire and stage another 8 160lbs/hr injectors.
I'm gonna start off running gasoline with 95 pounders.

great max,, its gonna start getting warm soon..il be wanting to hear that v8 come to life..
lextreme- i have alaways kinda played around with fuels/additives.. i am gonna plumb bobs car with 8 extra injectors, and was thinking of dif ways to run them.. at first im gonna try a simple circuit that will alow me to run 16 inj.. with methanol, you need to run at least 2 times the volume of fuel-so i should be able to run methonal just by flipping a switch-and filling it up..urr thats what im hoping..ha,.. of course, i will need to temp run a seperate pump and lines to get the volume, but methonal is very forgiving when it comes to boost..
jbrady-ive always felt that the newer engines had a much bigger area under the curve.. although its not a great increase in power, the newer motors feel more powerful because of the vvt keeping the torque up in more of the rpm band..

Hey Guys just want your opinion. I have a 93 138k miles LS and have an EGR or some sort of exhaust leak so instead of fixing it, I was thinking of getting those S&S headers. The LS runs great!! At the same time I see a lot of G400s on Autotrader for less than $7k. Would you get the headers and keep the LS or sell the LS and use the money to get a GS400? Ive heard GS has a stiffer ride and VVTi also there is alot more after market for GS and its faster. Also most of GS400s have over 150k in miles. I value your guys opinion so plz advise.

It is impossible to know how much power an engine exactly makes...but you can know within error. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_bars)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observational_error :

"Every time we repeat a measurement with a sensitive instrument, we obtain slightly different results. The common statistical model we use is that the error has two additive parts:
  1. systematic error which always occurs (with the same value) when we use the instrument in the same way, and
  2. random error which may vary from observation to observation.
The systematic error is sometimes called statistical bias. It is controlled by very carefully standardized procedures. Part of the education in every science is how to use the standard instruments of the discipline.
The random error (or random variation) is due to factors which we cannot (or do not) control. It may be too expensive or we may be too ignorant of these factors to control them each time we measure. It may even be that whatever we are trying to measure is changing in time (see dynamic models), or is fundamentally probabilistic (as is the case in quantum mechanics -- see Measurement in quantum mechanics). Random error often occurs when instruments are pushed to their limits. For example, it is common for digital balances to exhibit random error in their least significant digit. Three measurements of a single object might read something like 0.9111g, 0.9110g, and 0.9112g."