GP for Early 1UZ Adjustable Cam Gears

PARTS FOR SALE: Send an email to [email protected] for availability.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Who's interested in a complete set of adjustable cam gears for the early 1UZ?

These would include the following:

(02) Six Screw, Vernier Adjustable Intake Cam Sprockets
(02) Slotted (3, 5 or 7 degree adjustable) Exhaust Cam Scissors Gears

These would be done on an exchange basis, meaning you would have to provide 4 good cores.

Pricing to be confirmed, but will probably be comparable to a high quality set of adjustable cam gears for other DOHC engines. FWIW, freight isn't cheap to Thailand from the US.

If there's sufficient interest both from the US and Oz/NZ, we'll probably do this as two GP's to reduce freight costs.

Last edited:

scotturnot

I would possibly be in for these.
(02) Slotted (3, 5 or 7 degree adjustable) Exhaust Cam Scissors Gears

I will let you know for sure once I degree my Kelfords.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stupid question time.

I assume the stock ignition system won't work with these gears? As in the rotors can no longer be fastened to the gears.

Jake Breyck

I would like to know the cost. I wont really be needing a set now but i know i will in the future. so if they are not too much ide get them and store them till im ready for them.

SC400TT

Like Jake, I do not need them right away, but if we can work out decent costs, I may be in for a set that that I would sit on until needed.

Ryan

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Stupid question time.

I assume the stock ignition system won't work with these gears? As in the rotors can no longer be fastened to the gears.
Don't think the rotors would fit anymore, however the exhaust scissor gear could still be used, if you just wanted to change the LCA between intake & exhaust cams.

This mod is probably more applicable to those of us running crank triggered ignition boxes, COP's etc.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was pretty sure you couldn't rn the standard rotors.

The question was more so everyone was aware this would only work with aftermarket ECU and COP, CNP or Wasted Spark.

rivmasta

yes, interested, but how hard is it to adjust timing on exhaust gear? IE wouldnt advancing the intake by 3deg retard the exhaust by 3deg?

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
The exhaust gear has slots cut for fixed adjustments of 3, 5, 7 degrees relative to the intake. It's not as easy to adjust as the intake for sure, but with a scissors gear arrangement, there's not many alternatives.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
As far as cost goes, my set ran around $300, but that's not a good indicator. Probably if we could interest more people in this, the price would come down a bit, but you could use that figure as a budget maximum.

The gentleman was ready to do these, but because it involves some coordination on his end, he'd rather do 4-5 sets at one time, rather than individual orders.

So far there's been two people interested from Oz, and zero from the US, and since the fellow is in the far East, it might be better for someone in Oz to coordinate this and have the sets shipped there and distributed. I was happy to coordinate this initially, but I thought more from the US would be interested.