Getting to the rings & rebuilding

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

Okay so i've never dismantled an engine other than doing the shims on the 1uz. I'm 99% sure my 1UZ has at least got some worn ring/s as it has started compressing the crankcase, a lot.

Tyring to work out if it's worth trying to repair, or replace. Engines have gone up here, best I can find is $1200au for a long assembly at Ichiban.

What are the minimalist basics required to change out the rings on a 1UZ?

I'm guessing it means heads off and bore work to do it properly. But if I do all the work and take the block to a machine shop, how cheaply can I get this 1UZ mildly rebuilt with rings and new head gaskets?

Buy another engine.

By the time you pay for a gasket set, rings, bearings (main and big end) a hone for the cylinders you're talking a couple of grand.

My last engine build cost me around $3,000 where I started with a good block and honed it to suit my pistons. I used sealpro rings and ACL bearings plus one of Lextreme's gasket kits (great value!) and did all the assembly myself.

To service the heads properly is around $800.00 dollars which will give you a milled head with the seats machined and vales set with the correct shims.

I re-used my ARP fasteners which saved me buying new Toyota TTY bolts.

Add to the above a timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump and it starts getting away.

You could probably sell you existing engine to somone who wants to modify their engine as a good starting point. Another option is part yours out as the accessories will bring reasonable money as will manifolds off the replacement engine.

Plus you won't have you car off the raod for a month or more whilst you do the rebuild.

Lastly. What if your rebuild isn't perfect? Money down the drain.

totally agree...so much less stress...just try to hear the replacement engine run or get a warrenty..

Trouble is they are getting alittle long in the tooth now..
There's a few around that I'v checked with some fairly bad rust on the bores..
Depends on how they have been stored etc...
I guess up to $4k is would be expected for an overhauled motor ...