Forward Facing Factory Exhaust Manifolds for turbo... Feasable?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

50RTD

G'day guys!

Im interested in seeing if anyone on here has used their stock exhaust manifolds, swapped over to face forwards, for a turbo setup?

In my situation, this option is looking quite feasable, as the engine will be in a Landcruiser (bucketloads of room to play with), wont be running powersteer, aircon or factory fan etc, and the engine mounts need to be made from scratch anyway.

So i ask the knowledgeable and intellegent folk of this fantastic forum, for your thoughts/previous experiences/other setups etc.

From my basic out-of-car observations, the engine mounts will need to be about 70-90mm rear of the factory location to clear the exhaust, and the alternator in its revised location, may not appreciate the heat, but everything else looks like it could work.

For the record, the turbo is a 20+KG bad-ass-weapon that will be doing its best to destroy everything, a Holset HX55. The pictured motor is a stocker for dummy purposes, the engine that will be used will have decent head gaskets (brand yet to be decided on) forged low comp slugs, 460cc injectors, ARP head bolts, otherwise stock.:burnout:

Oh, and Lex this is all your fault!:09:

-Dan

Given the effort you are putting into rebuilding the engine I would suggest you build new headers.

They aren't expensive and will be much better than trying to use the factory headers which are pretty awfull.

New headers would go exactly where you want them.

Interestingly I would have thought you would want power steering on the beast.

Yeah i know what you're saying Zuffen and, very until recently, i was concrete on making a manifold, however it is awfully convenient that the factory exhaust manifolds can be interchanged.

I am told the SC400 manifold is the better flowing manifold of the bunch too. Either way, doesnt look particularly free flowing.

Use the existing flange which is very well made but change from there on.. Especially the merging into log section.
The size is o/k.. Its the design...

Hey mate thats all I did... flipped those ones over. Almost impossible space wise to do mush else and not worth the extra 2k in parts and labour to make a custom set. Lets say a custom set gets you another 50HP over using stock headers... well who cares. It will make massive power anyways. You should install a 100 shot for a grand. Or do forged pistons and rods and run more boost...

Well no doubt better flowing headers will be better for that turbo... I dont know, for me its a cost benefit thing. If I can make 500WHP with the stock headers on a reliable motor, do I need much more? I guess ill see how this setup goes, and if its really bad and the back pressure is really high, then look at doing something, but it is basically free by turning them around and welding pipe onto them to the turbo. Ill call that stage 1 :)

If you could customize the headers, then that'll be great. You don't need fancy equal length tube manifolds. Just a log style like the factory will do just fine, but your custom manifold individual tubes should point to 1 direction to the outlet. The factory manifold's last runner points to the oppositte of the other runners' direction, which resists the flow. If you keep the factory manifolds, you'll still be fine. But you should grind each protruding runner that goes in the main tube for better flow. The stock individual runner protrudes about 1/4" into the main tube. This grinding takes quite sometime because the tube wall is very thick and hardened.

I make my own.. Its not that big of job to change or make them.. Keep in mind there is pressure in turbo manifold, flow is not as essential as it would be in N/A engine.. Most back pressure would be due to very bad manifold design or small A.R turbo exhaust housing..
If the offending front primary pipe can be cut and welded closer to flange ? Imo it would work much better..
It would prevent detonation in higher boost levels also...

Thank you for the feedback guys!

I think there are pro's and cons to both options, however for this application, and the end result i want to achieve, the factory manifold wont be ideal, but as 4000GT said, it certainly is easier and the opportunity cost of that money is considerable.

Does anyone have any good links for a single turbo exhaust manifold design for the 1UZ or any V8 for that matter?

The manifold design will be obviously be critical in getting this turbo to sing and dance!

Cheers again