Forged Pistons on Standard Con Rod?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I am contemplating using the Ross forged piston on the (early) standard 1UZ con rod in a low boost (10 psi) Vortech V9 supercharged configuration but am concerned that these pistons weigh more than the standard 1UZ piston. My concern is that the additional weight will cause additional stress on the con rod. Is the forged piston, in fact, heavier? I have searched for this data on this site, and elsewhere, without result.

After reading this thread, it looks like I might just get away with using the standard pistons anyway - on an unopened 1UZ - with the addition of Kelford 264 cams and larger injectors (550? or 315?. I have a MicroTech LT12S they will reprogram for me to use in batch fire mode (ignition and injectors). I would like 400-450rwhp.

By the way, it seems to me that if I am firing my injectors in pairs (one 'dead, one timed live), I do not need to go with such large injectors because they will be firing twice per intake event anyway. True?

Your input would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Harper
Harper Racing
Bangkok, Thailand

http://drjeffbangkok.squarespace.com

An unopened engine will live happily on 10psi assuming the tune is good.

The 315cc injectors should be sufficient (just) for 10psi.

Thanks XR8tt and Zuffen. Your comments are much appreciated. I think I will go with an unopened 1UZ, the Vortech V9 (I have already), the Kelford 264 cams (I have already), bigger injectors, and run it on race gas at 10 pounds with the MicroTech ECU (I have already) and see if I can run my number at the drags. My a340-series race trans and converter (MV Automatics) will bolt up with the 1UZ bell. You can see what I am up to on my web site (below).

So . . fitting 'Mustang/USA" injectors to the 1UZ is 'no problem'? They sure are cheaper . . . . other than clips, what are the issues.

Thanks again.

Dr. Jeff Harper
Bangkok, Thailand

I will be running Ev1 1000 cc Rochester's on mine..
You can change the whole clip if required or buy short adaptor leads ??

Why stuff about ,Grab some argo rods and ross pistons.That way you will have an engine that will run an easy 700hp.(Cash flow. sell wife or kids)

Yes !! But power was way too high..
The guy who fitted one to his H.Q [?] Holden..
From memory its now fitted with forged assembly !!
These motors are cheap enough.. I would fit one and buy another engine for under $600 then rebuild that over time..
No point in pulling a good engine apart.. The main ingredient here is GOOD tune.. Having correct fuel supply, having correct ignition timing etc..The is means a decent ECU, injectors, intercooler and fuel pump etc..

Thanks for the info. Hmmmm . . . . what to do? My application for this unopened 500hp supercharged 1UZ is a very light drag car (900 kilos) with an auto and 4.11 gears on racing gas and buzzing to only 7000 rpm -- as can be seen on my web page (below). This is quite a different engine load than a heavy Soarer. I am hoping that with the small V9 Vortech the boost comes in late so as to avoid detonation issues under load.

However, does this site still sell those Eagle con rods? . . and is Ross going to make a 'regular production' run of pistins to bring the cost down? I don't want to sell my wonderful wife.

I would still like to know if a forged 1UZ piston is lighter than the standard piston. I wouldn't want to put a heavier piston on the standard con rod. If I could get away with the forged piston on the standard rod, I might do that . . although once I opened the block I would want to port the heads, change the main bearings, add ARP rod bolts & head studs/race head gasket/yada-yada. These engine development paths come in definate quantum steps, don't they!

"The main ingredient here is GOOD tune.. Having correct fuel supply, having correct ignition timing etc..The is means a decent ECU, injectors, intercooler and fuel pump etc.. __________________"

I have a great tuner for my MicroTech LT12S (reprogrammed), will upgrade the injectors, have an excellent/large intercooler, two large fuel pumps and race regulator, and I won't be trying to win any dyno contests . . . I'll run it a little rich and away from the edge . . . .

Regards,

Dr. Jeff Harper

From what I know the Mustang injector won't fit our rail.

They are the larger US size.

You could machine the rail to suit.

But then the lower end doesn't fit the manifold all that well.

Easier to get larger capacity injectors that fit. Try RX7 injectors.

Attachments

• 318255192250.jpg
    318255192250.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 318255192416.jpg
    318255192416.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 86
Aha I had RX7 55 lb injectors in my TTv8 Ford ...

Drill std rails 13.5mm then hone / polish with 1200 sand paper to fit for nice clean surface for O sealing..
Remove the lower O ring and fit Lexus washer, the Bosch style injectors are the same length from lower washer to top O ring..
The pintle just protrudes slightly longer in inlet..
Washers etc can be purchased here http://www.efihardware.com/products/c153/Injector-Parts

Run it until it breaks mate. I have run my stock 1UZ for 5 years of various forms of racing with rarely less than 300rwkw and occasionally as much as 400rwkw.

Usually 10-12psi but as much as 16-17psi. Never missed a beat until a new inlet manifold and tune finally tipped it over the edge but not sure why yet.

Your setup should run happily for many trouble free years.

Has anyone here actually used the 1JZ or 2JZ valve springs in their 1UZ? If so, what mods are needed to do it the right way. I am at that point of buttoning up the motor for the last time and I have this nagging thought that I may regret not doing this (if it can be done). The racer in me says that you always replace the valve springs when you put in a bigger cam . . . . . .

Doc

Well . . . after much hand-wringing and midnight consternation, I realized that those standard 1UZ valve springs just weren't going to do the job. At only "42-46 pounds" of seat pressure, they are a tad too light for my high lift Kelford cams at my intended 7000 rpm shift points and at the quarter mile finish line. Kelford recommends "80+ pounds" seat pressure for the 201-T1 grind. So, what to do? The racer in me said to forget the standard used 2JZ springs -- mainly because I have no way to test them, and because they are rated at "62 pounds" of seat pressure -- so I bit the bullet and purchased a new set (32) of Brian Crower #BC1300 2JZ valve springs with this specification: "Spring Pressure: Seat: 1.325" @ 80 lbs / Open: 0.980" @ 158 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.810." I will use the standard 2JZ spring retainers (used) - no need for titanium at only 7000 rpm. Imagine finding a set of Brian Crower valve springs for a 1UZ in Bangkok! Thanks Khun Mac of MacTec . . . he has everything! It looks like my shop guy Art will be pulling the heads off, replacing the springs, and re-shimming those 32 valves one more time!