Fair price for V8 Turbo manifolds?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chrisman

Hi guys,, i know there is alot of discussion on this forum about FI/turbos... so i figured this would be a good place to ask.. what would be a realistic price someone should pay for some turbo manifolds?..
i know one of the biggest hurdles in getting 2 turbos or 1 turbo on these cars has been getting the exhaust made up.. i think alot of shops/ car owners can handle the rest of turbo "kit"..but if an exhaust system was available,, what would you guys expect to pay?
we-the lexus v8 community-need to get more turbo cars on the road,, and i would like to start getting some manifolds made to get this ball rolling..
i have personally realized the potential of the lexus v8, and it would be a shame if others couldnt also enjoy this potential powerhouse..
now keep in mind i said "realistic price":veryhappy ..materials do cost something..

I think a pair of exhaust turbo manifold for mild steel without coating should run about 600 and stainless should run about 900 or so.

Chrisman, not to hijack your thread, but while you're at it, why don't you come up with a quality supercharger manifold too?

This side of the pond needs a source for these.

John

I've personally seen the amount of time and material it takes for you to build a set of headers.
I think a set of mild steel headers hand built should be in the $1250 range.

I agree with Lextreme. 600-900 dollars range and you will have buisness. Starting off with a high price will deter some of your potential buyers. Are you going to be producing these any time soon? Like in the next month or so? And to piggyback off of Cribbj what about offering a supercharger manifold as well? Its very hard to get in contact with Jordy and It would be awesome to have someone in the States to be a supplier. With that I hope you can produce something. Thanks.

Considering that stainless material isn't cheap to begin with, a set of headers for twin turbo with slip collectors should be about $1000.

Lextreme said:
Its alot work, but once the jig is setup. Its no different then making these turbo exhuast manifold then any other headers.
Usually that is the case, but since it's real tight around the frame rails and power steerting pump higher tolerance must be held in order for the headers to fit. This means that more time is put towards making a set making them more expensive to manufacture.

I'd agree with RedSupra, about a $1000, maybe even higher, for a set of 321 SS with CNC'd flanged and a perfect fitment. You also have to consider how quickly you can produce these. If you are only going to make 2 a month, then that should influence the prices as well (you don't want a very long waiting list of impatient customers). If you are going to be churning these out at a quick rate, you may need to lower the price.

I think if this is a production headers then it should not that expensive. If you want to make it cheaper and bettter (for the price) China can produce it for less then 100 USD for a set of stainless. Quality might be in question and ethnically might be too sound but its is the lowest possible price. I got a set of Tundra headers from SSAC and i got to admit. It pretty damn good for $99. You can't even get a set of stainless steel flanges for that price.

I think david hit it on the head. I don't think your going to get enough interest to get the headers mass produces in china, or anywhere else. I think your going to be making them by hand and producing 2 a month. (If that)
when the GB went out for the pistons there was only a hand full of purchases. I don't think there are that many serious buyers.

Building a SC manifold is something we could do pretty easily.
All I'd need is the desired SC (m90..whatever) from someone and id have a jig made up.
Anyone seriously interested PM me.

-Casey

glad to see all of the responses.. and everybodys input is important.. to make the same manifolds over and over again does require a jig/fixture.. and making a good fixture depends alot on the guy making it..
also, competing with manifolds made in china is almost impossible.. when it comes to manufacturing anything, they clearly have a tremendous advantage--but,, it seems like small volume stuff like these headers would not interest any seller like SSAC..
the tundra headers they sell are good--especially for what they were selling them for.. but im sure the only reason they started producing them is beause TRD offered the header at a much higher price.. it seems obvious that any cheaper reproduction was shure to sell--especially because of the huge difference in price..
so far we have seen it range between 600-1250 .. and if it were to be stainless,,it would be between 900-1250..
stainless does cost more than mild steel,, but it does have benefits over it as well.. im sure most of the guys on here can figure out about how much the materials would costs--i say that a stainless set would cost me over 300 in materials..a mild steel set would be considerably less..
but maybe the end user should decide if they want stainless or not.. that would give them some flexibility in the price.. but with either material,, the work would be about the same..
lets get more opinions on this.. i dont want to hear people complain that the headers are made from "unobtainium" and are just not affordable..

chrisman said:
glad to see all of the responses.. and everybodys input is important.. to make the same manifolds over and over again does require a jig/fixture.. and making a good fixture depends alot on the guy making it..
also, competing with manifolds made in china is almost impossible.. when it comes to manufacturing anything, they clearly have a tremendous advantage--but,, it seems like small volume stuff like these headers would not interest any seller like SSAC..
the tundra headers they sell are good--especially for what they were selling them for.. but im sure the only reason they started producing them is beause TRD offered the header at a much higher price.. it seems obvious that any cheaper reproduction was shure to sell--especially because of the huge difference in price..
so far we have seen it range between 600-1250 .. and if it were to be stainless,,it would be between 900-1250..
stainless does cost more than mild steel,, but it does have benefits over it as well.. im sure most of the guys on here can figure out about how much the materials would costs--i say that a stainless set would cost me over 300 in materials..a mild steel set would be considerably less..
but maybe the end user should decide if they want stainless or not.. that would give them some flexibility in the price.. but with either material,, the work would be about the same..
lets get more opinions on this.. i dont want to hear people complain that the headers are made from "unobtainium" and are just not affordable..

Chrisman, you are being generous here. $300 for stainless materials is on the low end considering head flanges alone are $100+. Also, stainless is harder to cut (takes more time and eats up tools), requires careful fitment and is harder to weld. It also moves more under heat. Definitely a great material but not perfect. How much for inconel? ;)

These well designed high quality mild steel Lexus headers for $599
5520H.jpg

S/S Headers

chrisman said:
Hi guys,, i know there is alot of discussion on this forum about FI/turbos... so i figured this would be a good place to ask.. what would be a realistic price someone should pay for some turbo manifolds?..
i know one of the biggest hurdles in getting 2 turbos or 1 turbo on these cars has been getting the exhaust made up.. i think alot of shops/ car owners can handle the rest of turbo "kit"..but if an exhaust system was available,, what would you guys expect to pay?
we-the lexus v8 community-need to get more turbo cars on the road,, and i would like to start getting some manifolds made to get this ball rolling..
i have personally realized the potential of the lexus v8, and it would be a shame if others couldnt also enjoy this potential powerhouse..
now keep in mind i said "realistic price":veryhappy ..materials do cost something..
I think if it's quality workmanship six hundred a side is fair and do you intend to do a single and duel set up !
Many of my friends have paid up to 800 for a four cylinder setup. I live in area and would prefer to deal with a local Custom.

I think the biggest problem we have would be setting it too high and motivate copy cats to produce them in China. That is the day I dont want to see. However, if you can setup an affortable price therefore it would not worth of copying it. I am interested in one of the set if the price is affortable.

j brady,, yes,, 300 is low on the materials.. but if i buy a bunch at once,, i get a small break.. and dont mind passing it on..using different materials-including the changeable slip on collectors may make these headers "more useable" for example,, the same header could work for a single turbo or a dual setup..

pops--a local racer--may be one of the first guys trying a set of these out.i know he has an engine, but is looking for a chassis. .he also is aiming for 1000 hp....

i am almost positive that once a few more turbo v8 cars get on the road and get some attention,, there will be many more guys considering turbocharging the v8-including some supra guys..
i still would like to see more people responding to the thread..cmon people--just say what you think..