EGR Tube replacement or not ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Tonyd

Guys

I'm just finishing refreshing the two LS400 engines I'm putting into the Cobras and one of them has the usual crack in the bellows section of the EGR tube.

I've done a search on the forum and basically there are two schools of thought, replace the tube as per normal ( I'll probably just weld the crack up as I'm a cheapsgate) or blank the two flanges off on the exhaust and inlet manifold.

It seems that not replacing the tube can upset the ECU and harm gas mileage ( especially when the car isnt warmed up).

What effect does removing the EGR tube have on exhaust emissions once the car is warmed up ( I need to pass an emissions test once the Cobra is completed) and is it ok to assume I can ditch the EGR tube when I go Twin Turbo once the cobra has passed the dreaded SVA ( Single vehicle approval )test.

As both engines are out of cars at the moment nows the time to carry out these fiddly jobs as once in the cars I'll need double jointed elbows just to get near the rear bolts.

Opinions as what I should do please. Replace or remove and why?
feedback.gif

Cheers,

Tony

I am not sure about the legality in UK. However, as the engine idle or engine behavior doesnt change. Celsior God is a moderator for Clublexus installed our EGR Kit and I got feed back from him with no problem at all. No change in hot or cold idle. No engine mis-behave. I personally helped him installed the kit and its has been a year now. I think the resistor is the key to the ECU issue.

Best of luck with your projecct and please let us know how it goes.....

No wonder the pipes break...........wafer thin aluminium, three guesses what happened when I tried the weld the crack up today.......
omfg.gif
And the egr pipe on my Shogun has now also developed a crack and is blowing !!

Anyway I think the answer is to replace the pipe on the 1UZFE's after somehow effecting a repair and then putting in the blanking plate on the top flange, as suggested in another thread, post SVA test using the resistor in the connector on the EGR valve to fool the ECU.

Once I nail the turbo's onto the engine I'll then dispose of the egr tube permanently.

Cheers,
Tony