Standalone ECU EFI Standalone

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I was talking to a local speed shop and they do lots of custom fab and dyno. He suggested EFI standalong. He stated the unit is about 3500 usd and with installation and tuning would run me 6,000 usd. Have you guys heard of this unit?

sorry, never heard of them and could not find anything on the net about them.

are you sure that he was not just meaning that in a generic way by just saying meaning or seguesting that you go with a full standalone unit?

To me, that is a little pricey, but not to bad depending on the unit

They make good ECUs. They are part of the 3 I only use. Autronic, Motec, EFI technology. If you want to spend that kind of money then also look at Motec.
That install and tune money is because the standard price doesn't include all the ECU functions or the wiring harness. Same with the Motec. If you want to spend less but still have the same functions then go the Autronic. Don't forget that if you running a decent amount of boost then you might also have to add on the cost of a CDI unit.

There is a company that hopes to have a standalong soon should retail for about 1500AUD. The stock ecu will be retained for all its uses except the control of engine.

I have an older model of EFI Technology's ECU's (Race 2.1 - No longer marketed). I spent about $3k on it and the mapping and tuning functions are easy to follow. They can configure the ECU's to do just about anything you will ever need. I have mine setup to run individual coils, boost control and nitrous control ( in case I ever get to that point...)

I am doing my own wiring so I had to borrow the proper mil spec crimp tools to do the harness connector. The are close for those of us in the LA area and they list a tuning assistance in the price list.

Steve.

Have you checked into the MEGASQUIRT EFI system. MSEFI.com I am currently assembling the MSIIV3.0 kit. It is very cost effective and very much hands on. You can purchase a kit that you assemble yourself or you can purchase an assembled unit. You can get an assembled unit and a basic cut and wire harness for about 550.00 U.S.

turn key assembled box is (msII v.3) $410, but like Lextech said you need to buy some accesories so maybe 500-600 total plus a wideband.

You can buy a ms1 v2.2 assembled for 240 from diyautotune . That and edis parts from the junkyard will work. If you use low impedence injectors, then you will also need the optional flyback board ($26).

Here, check this site out. www.sdsefi.com . This is the standalone unit that I am using and have been for some time now. For the price, its unbeatable in my opinion, but it does lack a couple of features that although are not nessicery, but can be handy to have.

Just to add, if you might be interested, let me know and I can fill you in about an option that they do not list but is avalible inorder to use it on a V8. Thier systems are designed to run through a distributor for spark on a V8, and can not fire the twin distributor setup on the Lexus V8 without modification and or by using directfire/wastespark. the directfire/wastespark is what they have, but dont advertise it.

Yes, they are oldschool to a point, but work very well. Like I said, they do lack a few usefull idems, but still work very well for what they are and how much they cost and get the job done. Its true that you wont find them on a F1 or Indy car or anything of that nature, but then again, these are millions of dollars race cars and are pushing the motors far beyound the ability of those systems.

The way that I look at it is if I can get the tunning and reliability for less money, thats more money in my pocket for other things

So how much would it be to get the cheapest SDS setup going?

I mean everything, (map sensor, knock control with factory knock sensors, idle control, tps, o2 control)

Using ALL stock sensors (if possible), stock coils, stock ignitors.

The sds cost quite a bit more than a megasquirt, and doesn't have half the capabilities. M/S is not as simple to set up as the sds, but the forums provide better support than any vendor I know of. I usually have under 200 bucks in one when I"m finished. You may spend a bit more to pay someone to assemble it if you don't want to do it yourself . Yes you will have to buy a cheap laptop for a hundred fifty bucks or so.. If you really don't want to deal with a laptop, you can buy a kit to build the equivalent of the tuning box that sds offers. It is very limited just like the sds one. The M/S I'm doing right know is for an ez30 r subaru. It will control the variable valve timing, and the variable valve lift, plus radiator fans. It has 12 x 12 maps for fuel and timing for TWO different octane fuels, plus an 8 X 8 map for PWM control of the cam timing. It will also drive the factory cop's. Try that with an sds!