Effects of modern technology on performance.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

WDoherty

Just recently bought an 01 Civic Coupe EX. I like the car and it is highstrung (still have my sc400 thank goodness). For fun i wanted to compare the performance to my father's 95 corolla given the changes in technology and the similar weights and displacements. After driving the two, I really can not tell the difference, even though the Honda has factory tubular headers, VTEC, and COP ignition. It does not add up to any difference i can feel in the seat of my pants. The difference is the Honda's powerband is higher up, but the corolla feels more responsive in the bottom end, overall they have very similar performance. This make indicate or confirm to myself why I still i never done small bolt-on mods (after 6 years) to my sc400 (headers, intake, exhuast) because in the end, I would i have spent a significant amount for little or any performance that I'd be able to observe. I bought mufflers a few years ago and may add them for sound, but I feel if you really want performance, you are "really" going to have to do something to the engine. My apologies to folks with econo cars spending there hard earned bucks on intakes and headers. Al LSX motors excluded haha.

Actually well thought out exhaust, intake and tuning can really wake up the 1uzfe and 3uzfe vehicles.

What are the power and weights of the Honda and Toyota?

Perception can varies a great deal vs actual performance. Suspension and weight transfer being two important considerations as does gearing.

Example: the 5 speed 2003 LS430 vs the 6 speed 2004 LS430 made a big difference in performance with no stated power or weight differences.

Well, i did find that the intake filter was very dirty. With a change it did wake it up abit, and i must admit the gearing on the car is more aggressive. Of course with a 1uz there is 2 twice the displacement with a third more weight, so there is an advantage there for bolt-ons. I just down exactly want to spend a grand (or more) on an intake, headers, exhuast, and a tune (not cheap), to maybe feel a difference in the seat of the pants.