Early heads on VVTi block

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

American Locomotive

Hey guys, a friend has a 1991 1UZ swapped into a truck, and an oiling issue caused the engine to spin some main bearings. The local junkyards usually have 1UZs for around $150, but for whatever reason there are not many around at the moment.

The only engine they have is a '98 VVTi motor. I was wondering if we could just put his early heads/electronics/acessories onto the VVTi block without much issue? I mean I know ideally we'd just use the VVTi motor as is, but we're not trying to re-do all of the wiring.

I don't know that anyone has tried what you're proposing, but JustenGT8 looked into the flip side of that, ie putting VVTi heads on an older block, and trying to run external oil lines to the heads. I think he concluded there were other passages that didn't mate up as well, so I think he abandoned it. Others' memory may be better than mine.

Thanks for the info. On a related note, do you know if the early lower intake manifold will physically bolt up to the VVT-i heads? I have an idea that may allow the early electronics to control the VVT-i coils.

And if the engine had an oiling issue the cam "bearings" could be shot. As the cams run directly in the heads, that means that set of heads could be toast...