Debating Turbocharging?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

canman44

I recently drove my friends Acura Integra that was turboed I I think that I may have got bitten by the bug. I loved it. I am now itching to do this to my sc400. My buddy put his on himself, and I'd like to think that I am a little more mechanically inclined than he is, so I would like to know how difficult this is going to be. I know that he would help me out with the setup so I feel a little more confident If I were to do it. So that brings me to the fact that I have now read quite a bit of info on a few forums about putting a turbo on any car in general. If there are any writeups or very factual or helpful threads that I could use I would greatly appreciate it if someone would help point me in the right direction. so let me see if I get this right. I'll need:

Turbo
Turbo manifold - twin or single
Down pipe
Wastegate
Fuel Management
Fuel Pump
injectors
intercooler
run new oil lines to turbo
Piping for intake
boost controller
electric engine fans (for space)
Tuning (no ideas about this)
ignition?

Would I need to change compression at all?
What criteria would I look at to pick out a turbo?
Are the stock cams sufficient for a turbo?
Would I have to change to intake manifold at all?
fuel delivery sys. other than pump and injectors?
Will the stock internals hold (new pistons, crank, etc.?)
I wouldn't know where to start with tapping for another oil line
Would I be able to run on the 91 octane I already use?
How much HP can the stock tranny handle?

The more info I can get the better. Thank you in advance.

Not to dissuade you from turboing if you're really set on doing it, but you might also consider supercharging as it would probably be a lot easier.

With turboing, most of the work is on the exhaust side(s) of the motor, where there's the least amount of room to work. There are no bolt on kits, so there will be a good amount of fabrication involved. Think $$$ unless you have a buddy that's a good welder and very patient.

With supercharging, you don't even touch the exhaust side of the motor. You simply pull off your old intake manifold, put a new supercharger manifold and supercharger down, and repipe your intake. You also have to redo your serpentine belt drive to accommodate the SC, but that's essentially it. Much cleaner and more straightforward to install than a turbo system. It does have the disadvantage of no intercooler, but even that can be worked around by either using methanol/water injection to cool the charge air, or by getting the manifold equipped with a small water/air intercooler.

The fuel system changes are the same for either installation.

Richwood, one of our sponsors, makes a really nice supercharger manifold. I and several of the other members here are using this for our 1UZ installation.

Thanks for the input. What kind of Superchargers will fit the 1UZ? I guess that all depends on the manifold that you get. What kind of supercharger do you have on your 1uz? I haven't looked too much into superchargin, so what would be an estimated cost of supercharging rather than turbo? I honsetly have never heard of the water/methanol injection sys. Could you explain that in a little more detail? Also is there any modification required on the hood in order for the supercharger to fit? I would think that you'd be hard pressed for vertical room as well. Also what kind of engine management sys. would have to be installed? I know its a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how difficult this will be. I'll look into those richwood manifolds. Thanks for the advice cribbj.

You may get the Eaton M90 supercharger and put it on the Richmond manifold. I guess that's what Cribbj mentioned. Or you can ask Lextreme for the centrifugal supercharger bracket and bolt a Vortech on. For turbo, it's doable but it's a lot more work & "Patience" than a regular person can handle. I'm not discouraging you, but my turbo project on the SC4 is still ongoing, but it's been 7 months already. It's here: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031&page=3.

Also, the cost of turbocharging can be double of supercharging if you're not doing it yourself.

Compression for any turbocharged vehicle should be between 7.5-8.5psi. It's ok if you're not exactly in this range, but try and get close as possible!

And for the fuel system, I also recommend getting a larger fuel rail. I have learned that you need a bigger one the hard way.

Compression for any turbocharged vehicle should be between 7.5-8.5psi. It's ok if you're not exactly in this range, but try and get close as possible!

I would be careful making generalised statements. It really depends on what one's goals are. We have several Australian members who have turbocharged the stock 10:1 1UZ motor and are boosting very successfully.

The lower the compression ratio, the more the engine "needs" to be on boost to have any response at all. Fine for racing, but it makes for a dull street car unless/until you're on boost.

I would be careful making generalised statements. It really depends on what one's goals are. We have several Australian members who have turbocharged the stock 10:1 1UZ motor and are boosting very successfully.

The lower the compression ratio, the more the engine "needs" to be on boost to have any response at all. Fine for racing, but it makes for a dull street car unless/until you're on boost.
Exactly I have a 330 strocker Ford "7.8 comp" with two SC61's and my 60 FT times are 2.4 this is mainly due to compression, manual and maybe driver lol???
Four valve motors have far more exhaust scavenging and can run much higher compression.. The Modular 4.6 Cobra engine's go hard with std compression and turbo...The Honda's are the same....If you want high end power then yes and run 40 Lb boost.. Not a street engine though....

That Water/methanol setup sounds like it could be a little difficult, maybe not too bad, but somewhat of a hassle. Does it use the water/methanol mixture as much as it does the gasoline your run through your engine? Where exactly does the mixture get injected? Does this affect the amount of gas that needs to be injected into the cyl. b/c of the octane boost? Any suggestions on how to lower my compression? I have also heard that you really don't need the water/ methanol mix until you get into a higher boost psi. anything after about 6-7psi. Any suggestions on what way I should lower compression? And like you were saying XR8TT since the 1UZ can breathe pretty well that enables a higher compression possibility? I have not heard this before but I guess it does make sense. Oh yeah and I plan on selling my current SC400 and buying a new one with lower mileage to do this project too. What is a good rule of thumb on what mileage I shouldn't be boosting over. Thanks for the help guys I'm learning a ton about FI. The more you guys talk about it the more excited I get to finally do this.

water/meth injection is only as complicated as the fuel system in your everyday car, but with smaller parts.

the mixture gets injected where every you want it to. but, as far as i know, three locations are standard: before the intercooler, just after the intercooler, and just before the throttle body. that really only applies to turbos and centrifugal superchargers, i have no idea about roots or screw types.

...What is a good rule of thumb on what mileage I shouldn't be boosting over...
My SC400 currently has 148,000 miles on it and is waiting to be broken in. Chrisman on this forum boosted his twin turbo and makes more than 400 whp at around 130,000 miles. An average life of this engine is about 400,000 - 500,000 miles. This also depends on the maintenance & driving habit of the drivers. So let's say it's broken in 150,000 miles, still trying to get the rings seat at 200,000 miles, run its most prime time and efficiently at 300,000 and starts to get tired and worn at 400,000 miles, and finally starts to burn oil, lose compression at 500,000 miles. But who knows, you can always get a little more out of it. :bigeyes2:

It's just like women. You know how active she is when she's young. And you know that when she might be a little old and worn out, she still can you her best shot sometimes...LOL :bigeyes2:

Damn! I didn't know that you could boost so late in the game! I'm so used to hearin' about people boostin old cars and them blowin up. I have heard a ton about how reliable and sturdy these engines are but I didn't know it was to that extent. Thats pretty sweet, that just opened up a lot more options as far as another SC goes. Thanks.

What are some advantages to centrifugal super chargers compared to roots and screw types? I know about positive displacement on the roots and screw, but is there anything else that I should know about the types that should help sway my decision. The M112 is a roots style supercharger, right?

Damn! I didn't know that you could boost so late in the game! I'm so used to hearin' about people boostin old cars and them blowin up. I have heard a ton about how reliable and sturdy these engines are but I didn't know it was to that extent. Thats pretty sweet, that just opened up a lot more options as far as another SC goes....
That's why there're no other cars that can still be as smooth & quiet as new for this SC & LS at such a high mileage. There could be a few but my experience is that I haven't seen any one like this car.

I think you'll find they are screw type...Better efficiancy...

Thanks. I thought that I had read somwhere that they were roots, but i guess is must have been some other supercharger.

That's why there're no other cars that can still be as smooth & quiet as new for this SC & LS at such a high mileage. There could be a few but my experience is that I haven't seen any one like this car.

Yeah. this car is amazing! I love it! I am nothing but impressed with this car. Its engineering is unparalleled. I have never heard of a sturdier car either. Except for that truck that was attempted to be destroyed on top gear. At least i think it was top gear. If I remember correctly that was also a toyota. The SC is the best purchase I've ever made.