Check out my flywheel.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jake Breyck

Im quite stoked about this anyhow enjoy, and thanks to chris for the cad file.

flywheel1-900.JPG

Looks good Jake; any chance it could be machined for the MKIV Supra 6spd clutches?

I forget offhand what diameter they are, but somewhere around 250 to 275mm?

What's the weight of this?

it weighs right around 10lbs the scale i was useing wasnt very trust worthy so i still need to weigh it on a crack scale.

i believe the mkiv clutch would fit as fedanza lists the same friction plate for all the supras, from 5m cars through 2jz cars. but i wouldnt really know sence i dont have a 6speed im still rocking the w58.

it weighs right around 10lbs the scale i was useing wasnt very trust worthy so i still need to weigh it on a crack scale.

i believe the mkiv clutch would fit as fedanza lists the same friction plate for all the supras, from 5m cars through 2jz cars. but i wouldnt really know sence i dont have a 6speed im still rocking the w58.

Jake, no that friction plate will only work for the 2JZ N/A (SC300, MKIV N/A, IS300, GS300 ect.) The 2JZ-GTE is a 250mm disc (9 7/8" roughly).. If we got ahold of a GTE friction plate and pressure plate, I could pretty easily mod the drawings to be able to use the GTE pressure plate and disc.

oh ok i went and looked at the replaceable plate and it looked like it was the same for all supras but ok.... but GS300s dont come manual :)

The 2JZ-GTE is a 250mm disc (9 7/8" roughly).. If we got ahold of a GTE friction plate and pressure plate, I could pretty easily mod the drawings to be able to use the GTE pressure plate and disc.

Hmmm, this could be a real interesting alternative to those of us who are looking around for flywheel/clutch combo's.

Jake, is the friction surface sourced from Fidanza, or did you make it up yourself, and if so, what's the material? Steel or iron?

How about the ring gear? Is it part of the flywheel, and (I assume) aluminum?

Any chance of doing one of these flywheels in steel for the MKIV clutches?

John, I'll jump in here being that Jake hasn't replied yet.

The friction plate was sorced from fidanza (but making them is a possible future option as it would be possibly cheaper) (if made, they would be made from mild (1018 or 1020) steel...

The ring gear is an OEM Toyota part that is heat shrunk and bolt retained just like any other flywheel setup.

Doing one's from steel wouldn't be heard to do but thats Jake's and the machinests call if they want to do it.

I think a steel flywheel machined for the 6spd, TT clutches, and weighing between 15 & 20 lbs could be really interesting for several of us.

It would save some weight over the stock 2JZ-GTE flywheel (34-36lbs), but it would still have a high enough MOI that the engine wouldn't stall if you didn't get your launch just exactly right....

I checked the 2JZ-GTE clutch specs and the stock disc size is 250mm OD x 150mm ID. Not that much different than the GE discs, which are 236mm OD x 150mm ID.

John IMO, with the torque that these engines produce even at low RPM's, I dont think that flywheel weight would have much issue of the engine stalling except possibly on a N/A engine with real radical cams maybe. The flywheel that I am running is only about 7.5 lbs and I dont notice a single bit of differance between mine and Jakes old iron one. I can let the clutch out pretty aggressively without any throttle from a stand still and my supra wont stall (and no the clutch is not slipping, easily lights up the tires at will in 1st and somewhat 2nd gear, and can cherp'em into 3rd if I get the shift just right)....

Now will the engine bog, yes and I will agree that flywheel mass does assist in the launch but the other thing to thing about is not what the mass is but where its at or how far from the center of rotation it is. Remember that 10lbs. @ 5" from center of rotation will have far less effect then 10lbs. @ 10" from center but its still only 10 lbs....

When I designed Jakes flywheel, I left quite a bit of mass out towards the outer edge. Taking out that some of that material will have quite an effect on inertia but will only reduce its weight by maybe 1.5 to 2 lbs. at the most.