Centrifugal + wastegate = more torque!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spf_lexus

I have been doing a lot of reading on this and found it pretty interesting. The biggest downside of the centrifugal design? Not enough mid range and low end torque! What I have found is that you can have your cake and eat it too (with very little repercussions).. here's how it works in 2 easy steps:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...l_supercharger_wastegate_install/viewall.html

First step is to number crunch pulley sizes, crank damper diameter, max engine RPM and the max RPM rating of the blower bearings. Once this max PSI rating is realized (and max pulley size), install a smaller blower pulley which will allow the blower to max out just below the maximum bearing rating.

Second, install a wastegate onto the charge pipe with a spring rated for the max boost you would like the engine to see. (pulley set for lets say 15psi and watse gate set for 6psi). And thats really it.

By "pulleying down" you are increasing the blower's step up ratio which in turn, causes the blower to move air at a much lower engine RPM (think positive displacement). In other words, max boost can be found a few thousand RPM lower resulting in huge torque gains.

Downsides:

-Some increased bearing wear (nothing too severe, as the bearings are still not being overspun).
-Slightly higher parasitic loss due to increased step up ratio.
-Supercharger will be maxed out so adding peak boost is as easy as changing a wastegate spring however no mid range torque gains will occur. If more mid range and top end is desired, the blower will be over spun so a larger unit would be required.
-Blower will be slightly louder.

Im waiting on my Procharger to be rebuild but I will be running this setup. Looking at a 12psi pulley and a 5 or 6psi wastegate spring. So instead of weak dyno torque results of: 360whp and 300wtq... I can maybe squeeze 360whp and 360wtq.

Compressor efficiency will be down, temps will be up, 360whp will only still be that if your setup is nowhere near its limit so can handle more heat without det or needing to retard the timing etc

As stated in the article, IAT's actually dropped once boost had ramped up due the effeciency of the intercooler and this is with the blower pulley'd down. In the interest of stellar IAT's I have a 4 core intercooler in addition to a 50/50 water/meth setup. IAT's are not even a concern. Regarding effeciency you are correct, it will drop some. The effeciency drop is negligible when comparing before/after dyno runs and even if I see a slight drop in peak hp, I can always install a slightly stiffer watsegate spring to compensate but the loss should be very small. Regarding power I am shooting for roughly 350whp. With that said I am ok with not being able to crank the boost up later. My P1 head unit is good for 12psi on the 1UZ crank dampner at 6200rpm and its never going to see more than 5-6psi so in my opinion, I want the most I can get out of my low boost. Its a controversial topic for sure. Every time I searched for this I came up with huge forum flame wars lol.

I thought about this 5 or so years ago when I wanted to boost an RB, people just said it was a rubbish idea and wouldn`t work. I`m glad to find I wasn`t completely mad, looking forward to seeing the before and after results

Yeah it's not rocket science....the same principle a turbo works on really. Boost is still tied to revs and it's still a compromised setup compared to a good turbo or twinscrew but for getting the best from a centrifugal it is the way to go.