CAT removal

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mr Sinister

Hi,

I have a 91 Celsior with a 1UZFE, I have fitted a POD filter and am now considering removing the CATS. Apart from the POD everything is stock.

I am from New Zealand and as far as im aware (from what friends have told me) CATs are not required (by law) in New Zealand.

I have asked mechanics at my local garage and also the store staff where I purchased the POD and they basicly said that if I remove the CATs it will have a small performance gain and will not drasticly affect my fuel economy.
Is this opinion accurate?? A have heard that removing the CATs will drasticly worsen fuel economy? Is this a myth?
Also if I do not have to disguise the fact that there are no CATs is it better to replace them with straight pipe or gut the CAT?
Is there anything I need to be carefull with or aware of when removing the CATs, sensors etc?

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

You might not have CATS in your car. I know US Spec and J-Specs are different. Even within the United States, California cars have strict Smog requirements. If you do have cats, they are pretty high flow already and removing would not help much. From my personal experience, increasing Y-Pipe will help a lot more.