CamBelt Help!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Holmsey

Hi All, what have I done wrong? I bought a cambelt kit fitted it a year or so back, Belt is a T190, I have also tried another belt 209 both same. Its in and old Truck and seemed to run good, though was bad on fuel and doesn't tick-over when cold. I hooked up a Vac gauge and it was low saying retarded ignition timing. So I double checked the timing marks and R/H cam mark was a bit past the engine mark so took the belt off moved pulley anti clockwise one tooth to line up and it was then way off the other way.
No matter how I try to line the marks up the RH cam mark is always about 1/2 a tooth out before or after.
Can the cam pulley be on wrong? I did have the motor completely in bits, Cams out heads off and so on before I fit the new belt.
RH cam.jpg bottom pulley.jpg

Last edited:
Being a bit out is quite normal. On a new belt being advanced on the cams is preferred as the cam timing retards as the belt stretches. I always use genuine belts as well they have the correct marks on them. Non-vvti and vvti belts can be interchanged at a pinch however the marks are different. The T190 seems to list correct in aftermarket.

Ok Thanks Gloverman. Just trying to find out why my Vac gauge registers low vac and points to retarded ignition timing?
I looked at the marks and saw right hand cam one was past the mark on block, I thought that would make it advanced not retarded, but with my limited knowledge thought maybe I was wrong..
Doh guess its something else that's causing low vac hence bad mpg.

Last edited:
I will look closer for air leaks. Errr once it starts that is. Got it back together fired up first crack ran ok. Went and got some antifreeze started to put it in and tried to start it to run fluid round.. Tw4t now won't start ???? Fault code 12 again !!!! crank sensor.. it's a new sensor.

Do you notice there is a code 12 (rpm circuit 1) and code 13 (rpm circuit 2)? Yet only one crank sensor. Codes are only an indication of what might be wrong. Other causes for code 12 i have seen are cam timing, cam sensors and wiring faults. The connectors by #1 injector give issues and the front crank looms often break, especially after someone has been in the cambelt area. One failed cam sensor on its own wont stop the engine running though. Breakages on the crank sensor wiring right by the sensor connector are common too.

Thanks Gloverman, that gives me something to be looking at. It has shown this code 12 and stopped firing up twice before. Once had to be recovered back home.. played with the cam connections and it then fired up..again in heavy traffic I jumped out waggeled the wires again it fired up. So I made a point while I was fannying about with the cambelt to check the wires and soldered them where the original connectors had been removed. Thought I'd cracked it... Looks like I haven't... Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Armed with this info I should be able to sort it.

Hi Gloverman here is what I'm guessing was the culprit for my none starting fault code 12. Would you snip the wires and solder them back up and shrink wrap? Or just tape up the bare wires?
bad connector.jpg