cam, spring, retainer combo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yea that's why we decided to go the spring height of the 2J engine..
NOT wanting to be pioneers .. Found with 2J valves and shim less buckets
the spring height was the same as 2J...
So finding valve springs wasn't an issue...
Rocco was going out of business out our way too...
Parts came cheap...

So If I am understanding correctly I should have no problems if I just swap the cams for the kelford supercharger cams or the lextreme stage 2 . You guys are talking about like 800HP cars doing ok on stock parts. I am only looking for around 450HP at the wheels, with new cams and headers and pushing the Whipple up to 12-14 PSI it should get there. I think I have my rev limiter set for 9000 RPM but on the street i shift at about 4K and at the track just over 8K. I normally never drive for more then 6 or 7 hours straight with out taking a break. However the moter is not always boosting while I cruse thanks to the bypass valve.

So If I am understanding correctly I should have no problems if I just swap the cams for the kelford supercharger cams or the lextreme stage 2 . You guys are talking about like 800HP cars doing ok on stock parts. I am only looking for around 450HP at the wheels, with new cams and headers and pushing the Whipple up to 12-14 PSI it should get there. I think I have my rev limiter set for 9000 RPM but on the street i shift at about 4K and at the track just over 8K. I normally never drive for more then 6 or 7 hours straight with out taking a break. However the moter is not always boosting while I cruse thanks to the bypass valve.

i am not familiar with the specs on those cams. we run about .410'' lift on both exhaust and intake. the only part changed out in the head is valve springs. car runs 8.2@166, we shift around the same as you at the track and it's all good, no need to go out spending big $'s on things that aren't needed.

you are not thrashing the engine on the street so there wouldn't be a problem if everything is built right.

Last edited:
Kelford 207-S1 cams
Toyota / Lexus 1UZ-FE, stage one upgrade drop in, on stock springs, suits jet boat, road car & supercharger kits
Duration @ Advertised = Inlet 268 Exhaust 274, Duration @ 1.27mm = Inlet 206, Exhaust 222, Valve Lift @ 1 to 1 = Inlet 8.15mm Exhaust 8.00mm, Centerline @ Full Lift = Inlet 109 Exhaust 117.

Would these be the best cams for a 12-14 PSI twin screw supercharger setup? I am running on stand alone mega squirt 2 so tuning shouldn't be a problem. I was just worried about valve float and spiting shims out when the engine is boosting 14 PSI and spinning at close to 9000 RPM.

Kelford 207-S1 cams
Toyota / Lexus 1UZ-FE, stage one upgrade drop in, on stock springs, suits jet boat, road car & supercharger kits
Duration @ Advertised = Inlet 268 Exhaust 274, Duration @ 1.27mm = Inlet 206, Exhaust 222, Valve Lift @ 1 to 1 = Inlet 8.15mm Exhaust 8.00mm, Centerline @ Full Lift = Inlet 109 Exhaust 117.

Would these be the best cams for a 12-14 PSI twin screw supercharger setup? I am running on stand alone mega squirt 2 so tuning shouldn't be a problem. I was just worried about valve float and spiting shims out when the engine is boosting 14 PSI and spinning at close to 9000 RPM.

would they be the best cam for the job, probably not. will they work, yes, you will still make decent power with them.

i've never been a fan of 1 cam suits all type builds. if you are serious about a build, alot of cam companies only charge a $100 or so more for a custom cam. that way you get something specific to your own build.

alot of people get worried about things, but as we have said, we have been running up to 9000rpm with only a valve spring change in the heads. we pump in 30psi. the engine loves it, its always asking for more :D

would they be the best cam for the job, probably not. will they work, yes, you will still make decent power with them.

i've never been a fan of 1 cam suits all type builds. if you are serious about a build, alot of cam companies only charge a $100 or so more for a custom cam. that way you get something specific to your own build.

alot of people get worried about things, but as we have said, we have been running up to 9000rpm with only a valve spring change in the heads. we pump in 30psi. the engine loves it, its always asking for more :D
Exactly.. The cam is the low end spec of there blower cams...
As has well been pointed out these four valve engines don't need too many mods to work well.. The blower / turbo makes the power..

Ok, so this is what I think will work, lets see if you all agree. Set of 32 OEM Toyota 2jz-gte valve springs for $130 from horsepowerfreaks.com. They are rated at 65# seat but according to lextreme they are 80# when used in a 1UZ. They would give me a max lift of 9.65MM and hit coil bind at 9.78MM. The kelford cams I am looking at have a lift of 8.15MM so they should be just fine and I could probably have a custom set ground with a lift of 8.75MM and still have plenty of coil bind clearance. I could then use the stock retainers and would not have to machine the heads to fit the springs. As much as I would like to save the cash and run lextreme's cams I also like the idea of running stock base circle.

If I were to have kelford make me a custom grind cam set what do I ask for? If you all were having cams made for my setup what would help the most without going to crazy. I do still have to daily drive this thing. LOL

Ok, so this is what I think will work, lets see if you all agree. Set of 32 OEM Toyota 2jz-gte valve springs for $130 from horsepowerfreaks.com. They are rated at 65# seat but according to lextreme they are 80# when used in a 1UZ. They would give me a max lift of 9.65MM and hit coil bind at 9.78MM. The kelford cams I am looking at have a lift of 8.15MM so they should be just fine and I could probably have a custom set ground with a lift of 8.75MM and still have plenty of coil bind clearance. I could then use the stock retainers and would not have to machine the heads to fit the springs. As much as I would like to save the cash and run lextreme's cams I also like the idea of running stock base circle.

If I were to have kelford make me a custom grind cam set what do I ask for? If you all were having cams made for my setup what would help the most without going to crazy. I do still have to daily drive this thing. LOL

when getting a custom cam tell them exactly what it is being used for. the more info they know the better they can choose a cam. when i was ordering for mine i told them around 20 different pieces of information ranging from rpm, head flow, intake flow, altitude, engine purpose, car weight, boost, how many times a day i go to the toilet :p

here's a video u might find helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqASLMrx7UA

Last edited:
when getting a custom cam tell them exactly what it is being used for. the more info they know the better they can choose a cam. when i was ordering for mine i told them around 20 different pieces of information ranging from rpm, head flow, intake flow, altitude, engine purpose, car weight, boost, how many times a day i go to the toilet :p

here's a video u might find helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqASLMrx7UA

This thread has been so informative/motivational! Lol so I was recently running a 1uz single Borg s366 on 11psi through a 5spd I just bought an early 2uz, I'm looking at cam options and you guys seem to sound like the right guys to ask.. these are my plans .074 mls..10mm ARP studs torque to about 85ftlb , ARP main studs, springs and lextreme rods, now as far as the cams fopar I see you have had much experience with these engines what lift and duration would you recommend or any other things I should take care of my goal is a 750hp daily.. any help is greatly appreciated I'm all ears

Turbo cams generally like a a wide LSA to keep overlap
minimal..
This why when looking at Kelfords cam selection the Turbo cams have wide LSA..
On my Ford I went from Fords own E303 cam which has 220 / 220 @ 50 / .500 lift..
110 LSA .. When I built my Dart block with forged assembly Surecams came up with specs similar to 236 / 232 @ 50 / .540 lift with 114LSA
FTI [Ed Curtis] http://www.flowtechinduction.com/index.htm in the USA cam up with similar..
This is push rod engine cam specs which obviously is a two valve..
The latter custom cam actually idled better and spooled turbo's much better..
Note the reverse inlet exhaust cam specs.. On an outright race engine this may not be applicable...
There's not too many out there who have billet cams available for the 1UZ..
Another suggestion is to measure the TOTAL bucket height [between valve and cam] with whatever buckets used..
Then cam can be ground on a base circle that allows better clearances..They don't or didn't charge extra for this..
The 207-T1 from Kelford would be very streetable ..
In either case ring around as Paul said..
You'll possibly get 100 different specs..
You don't need big cams to make power with turbo's..
There's pressure on BOTH inlet and exhaust..

Say I go with mild porting and a custom short runner intake at those power levels I'm guessing ill see a nice gain.. what does lsa mean? Sorry I'm a cam noob

This thread has been so informative/motivational! Lol so I was recently running a 1uz single Borg s366 on 11psi through a 5spd I just bought an early 2uz, I'm looking at cam options and you guys seem to sound like the right guys to ask.. these are my plans .074 mls..10mm ARP studs torque to about 85ftlb , ARP main studs, springs and lextreme rods, now as far as the cams fopar I see you have had much experience with these engines what lift and duration would you recommend or any other things I should take care of my goal is a 750hp daily.. any help is greatly appreciated I'm all ears

LSA is the lobe separation angle. it's the angle between the intake and exhaust.

what fuel are you going to be running? have you done any work to the intake, ported, port matched, will u be changing to a custom intake etc? will you be porting the heads? alot of that stuff comes into play. the thing is most turbo cams will work, however it's just a matter of how well it will work and how it is suited to your combo. you need to work out the exact direction you are going get all the figures together and work it out from there. cams are the last thing you need to work out.

porting the heads will definitely help, even just a mild port like we have. as will getting the right cam. will give you an example. with the factory cams, unported heads etc the car showed around 410rwhp@16psi 98-octane, after porting and cams it went to around 450rwhp@11psi on 98-octane fuel, to 510rwhp@11psi with E85. with head porting, cam and E85 it picked up 100rwhp with 5psi of boost less.

we also use a Powerglide gearbox which takes considerably more power to run than a factory auto/manual.

LSA is the lobe separation angle. it's the angle between the intake and exhaust.

what fuel are you going to be running? have you done any work to the intake, ported, port matched, will u be changing to a custom intake etc? will you be porting the heads? alot of that stuff comes into play. the thing is most turbo cams will work, however it's just a matter of how well it will work and how it is suited to your combo. you need to work out the exact direction you are going get all the figures together and work it out from there. cams are the last thing you need to work out.

porting the heads will definitely help, even just a mild port like we have. as will getting the right cam. will give you an example. with the factory cams, unported heads etc the car showed around 410rwhp@16psi 98-octane, after porting and cams it went to around 450rwhp@11psi on 98-octane fuel, to 510rwhp@11psi with E85. with head porting, cam and E85 it picked up 100rwhp with 5psi of boost less.

we also use a Powerglide gearbox which takes considerably more power to run than a factory auto/manual.

Yes i plan on getting a Cnc cut intake similar to the bullet cars supercharger lower intake, 93 octane (daily driver) I will matches the ports as best as i can, and do some manual porting to unroughen the ports, cometic mls 10mm ARP studs, and valve springs, aiming for 700-750rwgp thru a borg warner t45 5spd

Yes i plan on getting a Cnc cut intake similar to the bullet cars supercharger lower intake, 93 octane (daily driver) I will matches the ports as best as i can, and do some manual porting to unroughen the ports, cometic mls 10mm ARP studs, and valve springs, aiming for 700-750rwgp thru a borg warner t45 5spd

no probs, once u work out all the flow, comp etc get in contact with Crow or someone and see how u go with getting a custom cam.

So if i run a stock head and stock bottom with 19psi(1.3 bar) twin turbo with a stand alone ecu on 98/99 octane I should see around 450rwhp(500fhp)?

From what I have read it seems the intake manifold is fine for 450-500rwhp?

Is there a guide as the porting?

Can you guys recommend some cam companies at the moment I'm hovering on the lextreme cams as they are great value. I can only fine kelcams and lextreme that sell cams for the 1uz.

Sorry for the noob questions I've never had a V8 before always jap 4 pots :)

So if i run a stock head and stock bottom with 19psi(1.3 bar) twin turbo with a stand alone ecu on 98/99 octane I should see around 450rwhp(500fhp)?

From what I have read it seems the intake manifold is fine for 450-500rwhp?

Is there a guide as the porting?

Can you guys recommend some cam companies at the moment I'm hovering on the lextreme cams as they are great value. I can only fine kelcams and lextreme that sell cams for the 1uz.

Sorry for the noob questions I've never had a V8 before always jap 4 pots :)

So do I have this right?