Caltex e-Flex E85 vs BP Premium 98-octane

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

FoPar

thought would just write up an interesting little comparison we have seen against the 2. we have recently changed our street tune from BP98 to Caltex E85. best the car could manage on BP98 and 22psi was a 9.02@151, with the E85 it's running the same times 8.9@152 with only 18psi (fairly fattish tune also)

FoPar, how much extra timing, and how much leaner can you get away with? Was always curious about how well the UZ takes to ethanol. Your numbers speak for themselves regarding gains.

FoPar, how much extra timing, and how much leaner can you get away with? Was always curious about how well the UZ takes to ethanol. Your numbers speak for themselves regarding gains.

with BP98 ran 18-19 degrees timing, with the E85 race n pump run 25-26 degrees. we don't run the engine lean, 12.2 is probably the max it would go. we did a pass once with AFR around 13, it didn't like it.

Hey guys, I haven't found much info about using e85, what is required to run e85 in the 1uz, and is e85 much more expensive than BP 98?

bigger injectors and fuel pump depending on what power ur looking for. change out the fuel filter also get a new one, preferably stainless filter not paper. change the filter out after 3-5000km, the E85 ''cleans'' crap off the hoses a bit and dirties the filter. after a few thousand k's u'll be fine. bowser E85 99c-$1.15/L is cheaper than BP98 but u being in WA will have difficulty finding it and would only be able to get the drum stuff which is dearer. you use 30% more under WOT, normal driving its roughly the same and smells alot nicer too :p

Yeah I've had a bit of a look around and don't see any e85 on pump. I might look into it after I have an aftermarket ECU, I don't think the stock ECU will provide enough fuel with the kelford cams as it is. At the moment bp98 is around $1.60.

Edit: After some googling I've found that the WA government won't allow sale of e85 fuels due to some old fashioned Volatility legistlation that the rest of the country seems to have adjusted, so basically it's another setback for WA because our politicians want to be individual from the rest of the country.

We have the option of buying barrels of it for $2.50 a litre while the eastern states are getting it for under half that. Or we stick to 98 octane.

I'm getting tired of the Western Australian Government.

Last edited:
Yeah I've had a bit of a look around and don't see any e85 on pump. I might look into it after I have an aftermarket ECU, I don't think the stock ECU will provide enough fuel with the kelford cams as it is. At the moment bp98 is around $1.60.

Edit: After some googling I've found that the WA government won't allow sale of e85 fuels due to some old fashioned Volatility legistlation that the rest of the country seems to have adjusted, so basically it's another setback for WA because our politicians want to be individual from the rest of the country.

We have the option of buying barrels of it for $2.50 a litre while the eastern states are getting it for under half that. Or we stick to 98 octane.

I'm getting tired of the Western Australian Government.

i did hear that "internally" too, when the v8 supercars went over , there was a shit fight...

bigger injectors and fuel pump depending on what power ur looking for. change out the fuel filter also get a new one, preferably stainless filter not paper. change the filter out after 3-5000km, the E85 ''cleans'' crap off the hoses a bit and dirties the filter. after a few thousand k's u'll be fine. bowser E85 99c-$1.15/L is cheaper than BP98 but u being in WA will have difficulty finding it and would only be able to get the drum stuff which is dearer. you use 30% more under WOT, normal driving its roughly the same and smells alot nicer too :p

You use 30% more? That's a massive figure mate, not worth the extra power IMO?

You use 30% more? That's a massive figure mate, not worth the extra power IMO?

what? :confused: so you'd rather pay 500% more for other fuels that deliver the same gains? or many thousands on extra mods to get you there?

You need to sit down and have a good think mate ;) E85 is the best performance 'part' to come on the market since the turbo was invented :cool:

what? :confused: so you'd rather pay 500% more for other fuels that deliver the same gains? or many thousands on extra mods to get you there?

You need to sit down and have a good think mate ;) E85 is the best performance 'part' to come on the market since the turbo was invented :cool:

100% agree, engine runs cooler, more power, lasts longer, more torque. our 2JZ made 50rwhp more with a fuel that is $20 a 20L, the C16 was $220 a 20L drum. $10/L more for a fuel giving less power.

30% at WOT, how often do u drive a car around at WOT. plus E85 is $1/L BP98 today was $1.61/L even if the car used 30% more fuel, E85 comes to $1.30/L still 30c cheaper than BP98. its very simple maths.

Last edited:
100% agree, engine runs cooler, more power, lasts longer, more torque. our 2JZ made 50rwhp more with a fuel that is $20 a 20L, the C16 was $220 a 20L drum. $10/L more for a fuel giving less power.

30% at WOT, how often do u drive a car around at WOT. plus E85 is $1/L BP98 today was $1.61/L even if the car used 30% more fuel, E85 comes to $1.30/L still 30c cheaper than BP98. its very simple maths.

In Victoria, E85 is comparable in terms of pricing to normal fuel (slightly cheaper, but not 35% cheaper like your state).

Is it true that it corrodes rubber and certain metals? And you need a different fuel pump? What needs to be changed to accommodate this fuel?

bollocks..E85 is similar in price to here as is 98 so the cost savings are similar. Keep in mind that this fuel performs better than 98 and power gains of 20rwkw are a given and often a lot more. That is the cheapest hp you can buy.

It's just alcohol, nothing magical about it. It will corrode crap aluminium alloys over time, but decent quality stuff seems to hold up OK. Same with lines, good quality efi line will be OK for ages. Replace some time down the track when convenient.

Because you need approx 30% more, then you fuelling system that can keep up. Depending on what you already have it may not need changing but injectors are often needed.

Virtually everyone i know with a serious performance FI car has gone, or is planning to go, to E85...me thinks all of them > you ;)

if ur car has fuel lines less than 20yo then ur pretty much fine. u will need to replace your fuel filter after 2-5000km the first time u use E85 as it tends to clean out ur lines, use a good stainless one not paper.

bollocks..E85 is similar in price to here as is 98 so the cost savings are similar.

I think you misread my post. Your statement actually agrees with mine. I said that E85 is similar in pricing to non-ethanol based fuel and not 1.00 a litre (therefore the 30% greater fuel consumption is not offset by the cheaper cost).

When you say it will corrode crap alu alloys, that's a lot of engine parts to consider.

Virtually everyone i know with a serious performance FI car has gone, or is planning to go, to E85...me thinks all of them > you ;)

I am not arguing with you, I was curious for more information before I deem it suitable for my application. For my application (a street car) 20HP is not that great for 30% greater fuel consumption, unless the E85 is significantly cheaper (which it isn't in Victoria). I reckon the best option is to have switchable maps - one for E85 when you want it and the other for 98 to use in daily driving.

I think you misread my post. Your statement actually agrees with mine. I said that E85 is similar in pricing to non-ethanol based fuel and not 1.00 a litre (therefore the 30% greater fuel consumption is not offset by the cheaper cost).

When you say it will corrode crap alu alloys, that's a lot of engine parts to consider.

I am not arguing with you, I was curious for more information before I deem it suitable for my application. For my application (a street car) 20HP is not that great for 30% greater fuel consumption, unless the E85 is significantly cheaper (which it isn't in Victoria). I reckon the best option is to have switchable maps - one for E85 when you want it and the other for 98 to use in daily driving.

what engine do u have in ur car? i was just looking at the 98 and E85 tunes at WOT and 21psi, 25% more E85 is used than. the E85 tune reads 11.4 AFR and the BP98 reads 12.2 AFR