C4 Transmission

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Thanks to Rod (Zuffen) and his connections. He is keeping in touch with Dellow. I am looking for stronger transmission. Its not fun to replace two trannies in four months and each time cost me about $700. I think its time to do some upgrade. Since Dellow doesn't make an adapter plate/bellhousing for the Chevy Turbo 400 so I have to go to the Ford tranny track. I know the owner of www.1uzfe.com (details in ENGINE 4) is using the Ford C4 tranny. Anyone else using this old school tranny?

My unfinised project that i bought(ex BT1 VL turbo) came with a manulised c4 with a 3500rpm stall.It had a adaptor plate between the 1uz bell housing and tranny.never used it though as i am a manual fan so i dont even know wot it would be like.Would've been pretty tuff though.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
i do actually it's still on the gearbox.really havent taken much notice of it just pulled it out and then went straight under the stairs at work.mite look at it and see wot the quality is like.Dont want a box and torque thingo do u?

depends on price, I dont have an imediate use but ya never know when it might be useful, let me know how it looks or post up a pic

Lex- You are going through all the avenues that I already ventured. Old school trannies are solid but shift hard, rev high, and are you sure you want to do that? I am either going to go with the stock build up, or the V160 clutch transplant, I still haven't decided... Unless you discover an awesome setup that is proven to perform and be driveable with a cup of coffee in your hand, I am sticking to my guns.. I am curious to see what your final setup will be. I was really hoping that TH400 swap would work out for you, as that was my first choice but could not locate an adaptor plate.......Best of luck....Jibbs...

Lex if you were going to go to a Ford auto box then maybe you should think about using a C6 or even a FMX as they are just stronger , they used FMX's behind their big blocks .
Someone somewhere should put some effort into getting a standard box beefed up ??
The import guys over here have pallets of standard boxes as when he sold a bare engine he used to take them off , he's never had anyone request a box on it's own !!
Consequently he now has heaps of these things lying around , he now gives a free auto box with every engine !!

I really have to think twice. For my LS400T i should stay with 341E and for my SC470TT, I will consider the C6.

Attachments

• Celsior 2.jpg
    Celsior 2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 2
Lextreme said:
I really have to think twice. For my LS400T i should stay with 341E and for my SC470TT, I will consider the C6.
i think your right there,
a 3 speed auto is only something i would use if you want a drag car, not really good for the street. someone was talking th350 vs. th400. The th350 uses less hp so it could make you faster, but the th400 is beefier.
For example,
My first car in high school was my parents old 77 yellow and cream 1 ton chevy van that first started life as a church van and later a travel trailer hauler.
So when i turned 16 (1999) its 400 small block had been built by my uncle(who just passed away March 3rd RIP) in 1994 and the tranny(th-350) by a transmission guy we liked around the same time. The van also had a 4.09 rear end and HD Brakes ( which required 16.5 in wheels for the brakes to fit). This thing moved. Actually my dad fired it up the other day so both my sc and it are running, lets just say i wouldn't run pinkslips of the sc vs. the van in 0-40 or 40-0. Shifting was quick and hard and i liked it. This was a great combo for cruising around town and lighting up tires and beating up late model trucks, but cruising over 55mph was a no-no and gas mileage was in the 7-8mpg range. Now a lex rear end is a little lower (higher ratio whatever) sc around 3.92 but also smaller tires so your ratio would be the same. Going down the highway would be hell and gas mileage would be worse than truck like, so i really think a 3 speed auto is for a drag race car only.

The A340 is a 3 speed auto. Just like the C4/6, Torqueflite etc.

The only difference is a "4th" gear has been created by using a lock up torque converter.

The lock up only works on the flat, down hill and on slight uphill stretches.

The lock up will drop out with very little throttle opening as it isn't designed to handle much torque.

Have a look at the way a lock up torque converter works and you can see why it can't transfer much torque.

I agree on the Freeway the "4th" gear is nice but just how many freeway miles do you actually drive. David lives in LA. How far/fast can he really drive on a Freeway?

I've investigated the whole alternative auto scene and short of a ZF out of a late AMG Mercedes you won't find a 4 speeder to handle the torque his engine has.

There are some nice 6 and 7 speeds auto's out there but I wouldn't want to have to pay for one.

Each person needs to examine the way they plan to use their car and decide what the want and what they can live with.