Building my transmission adapter

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jakespeeds

I know this has been done a bunch of times. But I thought I would layout my adapter being built. I am going to try and use a hydraulic throwout bearing that has been pointed out to me won't work. So if it turns out it won't work it will be shown here and why then its on me. So here is what I am starting with.

I will not be using it once the engine is finished but for setup purposes I got a flywheel from a 3.0 VZ Toyota engine and added the required bolt pattern to bolt it to the crank. I bought a new clutch kit for that engine as well. After modifying the flywheel so it sat at the correct height per the company I will be buying the actual flywheel from I bolted everything up.

121109-07.JPG

I have access to some pretty nice fabrication toys. So far here is the Solidworks file with the bolt pattern for the transmission face where it bolts to the bellhousing. I also have made an accurate model of the nose guide for the throwout bearing. I need to get some measurements so the nose guide is correctly orientated to the hole pattern. Then I will start adding other pieces to get all the spacing right. Then I will model the actual adapter.

121109-08.JPG

Jake

looks good. What hole positions do you need? I've measured just about everyhting there is to measure on W and R series transmissions. I didn't say the bearing wouldn't work :). it will work, and it will work for awhile. I've just found it's not the best choice after going through about a dozen different bearings. But I'll admit it's one of the better choices.

Don't sweat it. You were not the only one I had mention it to me. I do a lot of work for local hot rodders here and they were all pushing for me to make a new bellhousing from scratch that uses a shift fork. But I think they have ulterior motives.

As for the measurements I appreciate the offer. I have a 3d scanner and a larger CMM machine here. So the measurements are really easy to get. Plus over the years I have learned to only trust my stuff. I am sure you know what I mean.

Jake

Been awhile and I have gotten hung up on some customer projects. But I think I have finished off the design of my adapter. Just need to double check a few things before starting to machine the material.
130510-01.JPG

130510-02.JPG

Jake

Finally getting into the machining with a nice big block of 7075-T6 billet. Some new machining software I am trying out is giving me a bit of a headache but I am hoping to have this guy out of the machine next week.
130607-01.JPG

130607-02.JPG

Jake

On a regular basis its Gibbs or Esprit. This is a beta version of Esprit we are testing. Since its not a customers part and its not holding up work it seemed like a good idea. But I am doing the pee pee dance.

Jake

Gibbs is tolerable, but esprit is complete trash. I've used both and many other cam systems and esprit ranks in the top 3 worst programs ive ever used. Gibbs is alright, but it always seems like they're a step behind mastercamm, and their interface has always been a little archaic. I spent many weeks trying to get esprit to work how I wanted it and it did nothing but make me want to smash computers

Wow our opinions could not be more opposite. But we use the Esprit school to train our guys. Mastercam is alright for doing simple jobs but after that it starts to fail especially for surfacing. Gibbs is alright but the posts have to go to Gibbs for alterations and they charge for everyone. But for doing multiple parts in multiple fixtures and vices it works the best. But for surfacing and contouring especially on multiple axis it works the best. Take the school for Esprit. It helps me make money especially with aerospace parts.

Jake

went to school for mastercam, esprit, gibbs, surfcam, geopath, and Gzero. I have certificates for mastercam mill 1-3, basic esprit, and geopath. Mastercam being the best so far imo. Multiaxis 3d machining is a pita in mastercam but if you're doing 3d machining on a flat plane it's really good now that they reworked their interface in the last3 versions. It also helps that mastercam now directly interfaces with solid works so you can use feature based machining. Which actually works in mastercam once it's been configured and you have your tool library arranged.

Last edited:
We just make less money with Mastercam. I never cared for the way it programmed the mills. We can go into Esprit and program the typical part for us in half the time and end up with a nicer part. A lot of the stuff we do needs a minimal of final polish for a smooth finish. But every shop has different requirements.

Jake

Interesting stuff... I started in Inventor, moved to SW some years back and really like it.. Never found a cam I love, only ones I can tolerate. HSMWorks fits me the best right now for the simple stuff I do and I like the SW integration. I'm functional in Mastercam but don't really like it. I thought solidcam was interesting but it didn't seem to fit my workflow as well and some of the tool paths don't seem that efficient. Have'nt tried Gibbs. Seems to me that most software tries to be all things to all people rather than being really good for a particular task.

You re-prove the point that no one piece of software fits everywhere. I have not had Mastercam in my shop for over 5 years. But there solution to every problem I had was to change my shop around to fit their software. Gibbs works well for 3 axis jobs as long as you are not surfacing. Also Gibbs customer service is crap or at least it was when I stopped using them about 6 months before they were sold. And I drive by them everyday coming and going to the shop. But they will charge you for every little change to the post. And I swear to God they make mistakes on purpose to keep charging you. Esprit is not the most intuitive software I have ever seen and the interface is over complicated. Where Gibbs falls down Esprit seems to excel at least in my shop. Especially on 4th & 5th axis continuous surfacing. You can also edit and make changes to posts on the fly through the software right there at your desk. When you have multiple makes of machines that is huge. But your last statement is spot on.

Jake