Bolt securing pulley on crankshaft

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

maxboulogne

To remove the pulley from the front of the crankshaft the bolt securing it to the crankshaft need to be removed.

My question is:
To remove the blt must it be turned clockwise or anti-clockwise looking towards the bolt and engine?

Anti clockwise to loosen, when looking at the front pulley.

It's a regular thread, just a royal PITA to loosen. Some have luck with air impacts, others do it with a cheater pipe on the ratchet or breaker bar, and if the engine is still in the car, most do it by bracing the ratchet or breaker bar on the ground, then using the starter to bump the motor and break it free.

Smack the breakerbar with a hammer or something...

its very easy i work on cars 5 dayz a week and many cars you cant fit rattle guns on because of radiator etc in the way. just simply crank it over 2 c what way the engine turns over with the starter motor (most turn clockwise) setup a breakerbar so that when the motor turns over it locks against something e.g the ground, chassis rail or axle stand etc (just flick the start motor over a couple of times doesn't take much). this will crack the bolt then just undo it by hand tool the rest of the way.

to do it up just do what e-solver said. get a large breakerbar and hit it with a hammer, acts like a rattle gun, do that 10 or so times. it wont come undone but if you wonted 2 keep peace of mind just put a little lock tight on the thread.

mmmmm.......
I wonder why Toyota bothered with torque figures..... maybe we can use this advice for rod bolts too ?

Do you really know why bolts are tightened to a specific torque ?

mmmmm.......
I wonder why Toyota bothered with torque figures..... maybe we can use this advice for rod bolts too ?

Do you really know why bolts are tightened to a specific torque ?

there is no need 2 get smart. there is a big difference between a crank bolt and a rod bolt (don't try compare them), go to 99.9% even 100% of automotive workshops and ask how they tighten a crank bolt then ask how they tighten rod bolts they will all say they use a rattle gun to do the crank bolt (not torque) and they would torque the rod bolts up, yes ideally you should torque them both but there is nothing wrong with doing it the way i stated before if you don't have the tools needed 2 torque up the crank

but by the way the question was 1st asked does it sound like he would own a torque wrench capable of between 160-180 nm anyway

Yes, was being a bit sarcastic !

If you don't have the tools to torque the bolt to the correct tension, then take it to somone who does.

Just because it is bigger than a rod bolt doesn't mean it is less critical.

Crank pulley bolt torque is 245 Nm.

I made this to bolt onto the pulley out of 100 x 10mm flat bar, it bolts on with 2 x M8 bolts.

Simple to make or free loan to Perth siders.

Here's another one from a Supra owner a few years back.

I've done them both ways and Cobber's is more secure, IMO.

The Supra one tends to flex, although it might just be because of the flimsy aluminum bar I used.

and Buy a decent torque wrench for the job,

I have three
1 from 5 to 50nm 40cm handle bar
1 from 40 to 150 50cm handle bar
1 from 120 to 310 1meter handle bar

grtz Thomas