BMW E30 1uzfe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hello All,

So I did a little measuring the other day (95' m3 owner). There is plenty of room in an e36 body for a 1uz. Well I retract plenty, but there is room. Here is a couple of observations though.

1) Front sump well of 1uz will interfere or be a very close to the rack& pinion/cross member.
2) In order to clear cross member, the motor will have to move forward in engine bay. This = not good. I would want the motor as low and far back in engine bay as possible.
3) Might run into exhaust routing issues with steering. A very large issue. Don't want to loose the great feel of the e36 steering by messing with the steering shafts. I found a site one time (edge motorworks) where they put a dry sumped 540 motor in a e36. They had a lot of issues with this. I think they ended up angling the motor to avoid this.
4) Alpine put a 540i motor in a e36 (straight). Can't think of the name off hand (i think B8). So putting in a BMW V8 in is an option. Especially since it bolts up to stock motor. But then you have to deal with aluminum block and Nikasil lining.
5) m3 motor is made of cast iron. This thing weighs a ton. It needs to go...
6) Here is the best option, one word... Judd

I have been thinking of this swap for some time now. I would really love to see a 1uz inside my engine bay every time I pop the hood. Let me know all of your observations.

Tempeheat, great job. Looks like it is all going to work out well. Keep on trucking and get her running. Nothing like firing up a couple year long project....

Jason

Im sorry Villium3 but if you pull a euro s50 or euro s52 out of you m3 i will hunt you down myself and hurt you lol unless! you are from the states and have one of the lesser spec non muilti throttle body engines.
The e36 1uz swap has been done here quite a few times, ill see if i can find somethin on it for you guys

That would be awesome drifty.

I suppose if you twin turbo the 1uz and get a custom sump and modify the oil pick up you could get it in there no worries?

Run the headers to the front and bolt on a pair of t25s might help the issue of exhaust clearence? Hey if my brother in law could get a v6 into a gemini and my dad shoe horned a 5 litre into his LJ, without cutting the inner guards to run pipes this shouldn't be too hard to physically fit with a little head scratching..

vvillium3. if you do go ahead and do it before me.. I'll gladly take the M3 motor of your hands for the cost of a 1uz.. lol

I wish I had the euro version, unforchunatly I live state side. Drifty do you still want to swap, lol!!! Eventually I will put a v8 in my car. I love my car dearly, which actually makes quite a bit of power, but I want something different.
Also drifty, do you have any links???

I wish I had the euro version, unforchunatly I live state side. Drifty do you still want to swap, lol!!! Eventually I will put a v8 in my car. I love my car dearly, which actually makes quite a bit of power, but I want something different.
Also drifty, do you have any links???

Ill stick with my v8 lol but you still have a engine there with HUGE potential you should look into turboing it. www.bimmerforums.com can help. I cant find anything on the lexus v8 in the e36 tho :(

I have been a member at the good old bimmerforums for quite a while now. They are really starting to make a lot of power out of the M50 US. Definalty a lot of power, but I want to stay away from FI.
I already have a turbo car plus I am not looking for a ton of power. I agree that FI would be great, but I want a track/street car that I can drive to work everyday and just enjoy the drive. Plus FI can take away some reliability. I think a 400 hp v-8 in the e36 would really compliment the car.
I did a little searching too with no avail. I did find a slight engine shot the Judd V8 in a e36, but all you can see is intake and covers.

i seen an e36 1uz in fast fours magazine a few years ago (in aussie), with cutsom intake manifold. i dont remember reading anything about it being difficult.
as for swapping out an m3 engine, it would be a bit of a waste wouldnt it? sell the car and buy either a 318 or one with a blown motor, then spend the spare coin on the conversion.

more great EBAY deals

I just bought a full exhaust system off a 2005 Nissan 350Z with 500 miles of use(EBAY). It looks new and I think will perform well on my E30 1UZ. I also picked up this week off Ebay a whole rear craddle with trailing arms and brakes off a 2001 Z3. (5 lug upgrade) The Z3 only had 19k miles. I chopped the spare tire compartment off last night for the muffler to fit. My Diff is a 4.10 LSD

I just bought a full exhaust system off a 2005 Nissan 350Z with 500 miles of use(EBAY). It looks new and I think will perform well on my E30 1UZ. I also picked up this week off Ebay a whole rear craddle with trailing arms and brakes off a 2001 Z3. (5 lug upgrade) The Z3 only had 19k miles. I chopped the spare tire compartment off last night for the muffler to fit. My Diff is a 4.10 LSD

Interesting choice of exhaust,i hope it works well for you.Will need alot of modifying to suit tho. Nice choice on the five lug swap tho ;) gives you alot more choice on wheels etc.Is yours going to be an auto? if not the 4.10lsd will be totally the wrong ratio with a toyota manual

Stall speed?

yes, I'm running a JDM LS400 Auto with a Lextreme converter. I don't know what the stall will be. Lex if your reading this,,do you think I should have a different converter made? or will the one you sold me perform the way It should. The car is at least 1400lbs lighter than the LS400 but the LS had lame diff. This has 4.10 and posi.

Front brakes

Drifty
Whats the best way to upgrade the front hubs to 5 lug. Will the M3 caliper and disc mount on if I put a new 5 lug hub on it. Or should I find a 318Ti and buy the shock/hub set. I want to use the best possible 5 lug set available.
This exhaust set I bought sounds crazy but its very nice and stainless. The muffler looks awesome where the spare tire use to be. I think the exhaust looks like a huge upgrade over the LS exhaust. What are you going to run on yours for exhaust. Also have you seen any E30s with these M3 rims
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-B...019QQitemZ290154761079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If I have to reconfigure the wheel wells and space them to make them work I will. I think they're the best looking M3 rims besides the new ones that are a fortune.

Drifty
Whats the best way to upgrade the front hubs to 5 lug. Will the M3 caliper and disc mount on if I put a new 5 lug hub on it. Or should I find a 318Ti and buy the shock/hub set. I want to use the best possible 5 lug set available.
This exhaust set I bought sounds crazy but its very nice and stainless. The muffler looks awesome where the spare tire use to be. I think the exhaust looks like a huge upgrade over the LS exhaust. What are you going to run on yours for exhaust. Also have you seen any E30s with these M3 rims
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-B...019QQitemZ290154761079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If I have to reconfigure the wheel wells and space them to make them work I will. I think they're the best looking M3 rims besides the new ones that are a fortune.

I think most of the guys use e36 hubs on the front with ti rears but jump onto www.r3vlimited.com and have a look on there all the details are there.Im running a full custom exhaust with extractors and a single 2.5inch mandrel exhaust with a nice dtm style muffler at the rear. hot lol