biggest useable turbo on a 1UZFE?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
so it seems the GT4088 is the best turbo to use for a lazy 1UZ to make 500 engine hp with 1bar of boost. seems a little low but then again 1bar is nothing to laugh at.

what exhaust housing size would be the best here then? because there's a plethora available. i was assuming with that size turbo probably a 0.82-86ish would suffice?

so it seems the GT4088 is the best turbo to use for a lazy 1UZ to make 500 engine hp with 1bar of boost. seems a little low but then again 1bar is nothing to laugh at.

what exhaust housing size would be the best here then? because there's a plethora available. i was assuming with that size turbo probably a 0.82-86ish would suffice?

.82 - .86 sounds about right but I would talk with garret directly to verify that selection...

the default housing is a 1.06 twin entry with a T4 flange and V band exhaust.

the 0.86 is a single entry with a V band exhaust.

0.94 is the same.

the 1.34 is a twin entry T4 flange with a 6 bolt exhaust.

looking at what's what - i think the twin entry 1.06 A/R might be the right one to use, considering i plan on using some mild cams later on.

thoughts?

Yeah, the bigger 1.06 A/R might be a better choice especially if you plannning on upgrading cams... I would still consult with Garrett directly about it just to make sure, but bigger is safer here forsure, less power but safe from possible over boost....

Not that it really applies to this particular thread, but incase anyone is curious about a really good street setup with 500 hp here is the setup that Im gonna run if I do end up doing to twin turbo setup on my UZA70

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc...3=120&intake_temp_4=120&turbo_n=2&map_sel0=25

I think the GT40 is a little on the bigger side and you'll have lag. I drove a GT40 on the LS400 and it's laggy. I'm currently runnning a T4 60-1 on the SC400, which is capable of 550-600 bhp according to Turbonetics. I have no lag whatsoever and I'll boost it to around 500-550 bhp very soon. I think the GT35R is another good choice in this power range. I believe a light 1000 kg car will run 11 sec easy with 400-450 bhp.

good point there steve - but remember, i plan to run a 2spd auto to load the engine up more and help bring it up on boost earlier, as well as a BW diff conversion with some gears to assist as well.

add the transbrake and decent stall, and i don't see it being an issue over 1320ft.

street driveability will suffer, but then, no "street car" i know runs 11s and 10s without some compromise. it's the timeslip and lag, or no lag and no timeslip.

Have you ever thought about using a Quick-Spool Valve on that big turbo??
Check this out:
15.jpg

http://www.sound-performance.com/p192/Sound-Performance-Quick-Spool-Valve/product_info.html

65674d1233792134-quick-spool-flange-time-get-greedy-turbo-sizing-161_6164.jpg

now that's a fancy bit of kit - but i thought the idea behind a twin entry turbo is to improve spool by linking alternately firing cylinders / banks....?

by amalgamating the exhaust manifold into one, i would be worried about the flow over that plate unless the ports were tapered where it bolts to the exhaust manifold.

end of the day, it's a stop gap for incorrectly sized turbos. not to say it's a bad bit of gear, but a bit of thought could eliminte the need for it.

I think the GT40 is a little on the bigger side and you'll have lag. I drove a GT40 on the LS400 and it's laggy. I'm currently runnning a T4 60-1 on the SC400, which is capable of 550-600 bhp according to Turbonetics. I have no lag whatsoever and I'll boost it to around 500-550 bhp very soon. I think the GT35R is another good choice in this power range. I believe a light 1000 kg car will run 11 sec easy with 400-450 bhp.

This defies logic to me. I am not saying its not true but coming from Surpraforums were a 4088 is considered a small responsive turbo. (which is only 4mm bigger than a 60-1 btw) its really strange to hear that a 4 litre v8 would find that turbo to be laggy. even a bigger 67mm turbo is considered a quick spooler on the 3 litre 2j some even claim that newer t67's spool faster than t61's. how true that is I dont know but regardless. a gt40 being laggy on a 4.0 sounds really weird.

Turbo's for drag use is far different to street use..
If a 2.4 four cylinder Celica can run a S485 [S400 with 85mm exh]
I'm sure an S475 will work fine, which is exactly what I'm building for the same class here at WSID in an RA28 Celica body..
With lounch control, two step, and transbrake it should spool around 3800 rpm.. It has T6 flange, 1.32 A.R.. 800 to 1200 h.p ..
Yes they are VERY big large frame turbo's..
I found it easier to fit it above passengers side manifold with compressor facing inner guard..
If it was a street engine?? I would use T04Z 1.06 A.R,TA45, Master Power T70 for budget turbo..I have seen too many GT3540's overheat the centre on high boost engines this size..Possibly a tune issue but never seen this happen on T4 size turbo's..
Check out whats used on 2J race engines?? They are only 3 ltr's..
I'm runing a smaller version of this turbo http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7288

So the car is going to be 1000 kgs and you only want 500hp?
2jz'z and 1uz'z are not the same.
1uz heads vs 2jz ported?

If you want to have a low rev limiter at least at first. just try and run a garrett or tial GT35/40 with a 1.06 rear.
if its not enough then get the to4z front wheel put in it, (66mm)

This turbo will allow you to run about 430kw at the wheels and with the 66 front a bit more.
I have had a fair bit of experiance first hand with these turbos and it would be spot on for that setup.

We are just about to fit one (tial) to a 2.5L wrx at about 1000kgs. this car will be making about 430 at the wheels.more boost required for this one.

Attachments

• banned.jpg
    banned.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
not to say it's a bad bit of gear, but a bit of thought could eliminte the need for it.

The title of this thread is biggest useable turbo.. The device I posted pics of earlier helps make BIG turbos useable at lower rpms... I think it's very relevant to helping a "bigger than typically useable" turbo "useable.."
[Less of an on/off switch...] They build top quality Supra Turbo components, I can pretty much guarantee they've done the testing to prove the claims. :thinkerg: