Best Y pipe for street driven Lexus sedans

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

I am planning a high flow Y pipe. The stock Y pipe works very well for low RPM response and torque. That "crisp" feeling. I want to keep as much or all of that power and feel as possible while increasing peak flow capacity. No easy task.

This is not easily measured on the dyno either since most dyno runs start above 3500rpm but most street driving is below 3500rpm. Also, feel is not measured on a dyno nor is transient response which is part of the feel but REALLY important for actual performance.

This is similar to the difference between skid pad peak numbers vs. actual time around a race track. Sure, high skid pad numbers are impressive but not very valuable unless your car is faster in actual use. Same as peak horsepower numbers. Great bragging rights, not so great when a "less" powerful car outruns you! Some people may be thinking "no way" but, ah, yes, way, definitely way, happens much more often than people realize.

Lexus sedans are for the most part heavy cars with small engines. 4 liters is 242 cubic inches. Most 6 cylinder cars, when I grew up, were larger and in fact most performance 6 cylinder new cars are very close at 3.5 liter and 3.7 liters.

Engine displacement or size (in liters or inches or whatever) is a big factor in low RPM power/torque. Another is efficiency or how well the systems work together to CHARGE the engine at low RPM with air. A BIG part of this is a high velocity exhaust system that prevents reversion. The stock system is VERY good at this. It is also much smaller than MOST people are used to seeing on performance engines.

A few years back I contributed a high flow racing 2-1 merge collector 2.25" into 2.50" to the first car to run the S&S headers. A 2.25 to 2.50 Y pipe was built using this. Peak power went up by ONE horsepower. Low speed feel was terrible. The part flowed too well BACKWARDS. It hurt velocity and allowed reversion.

Because of that and other evidence I have been recommending the STOCK Y pipe for some time. I have always said a better system COULD be built it was just unlikely that most muffler shop efforts would beat the stock Y and most likely be worse.

So, I am finally able to focus on this situation. I will build a performance Y pipe for my LS which has a nearly identical Y pipe to the GS. The LS is heavier so it is even more important to keep low end power. If I successfully make a better than stock Y then we will have a repeatable design to copy.

My experimental Y pipe will feature a high velocity one way merge like the stock part does. It will be smaller than 2.25" but larger than stock. The LS Y pipe is VERY similar to the GS4xx. The LS and GS engines are identical.

Look closely. This picture shows the LS400 Y pipe on TOP of a GS400 Y pipe. The GS430 Y pipe is also identical except it has a center catalyst instead of a center resonator. The GS has a larger inside diameter center resonator than the LS400.

5613d1256572228-the-best-y-pipe-for-gs4xx-im001523.jpg

I have a y-pipe for the SC400. I have some pictures on the website but i need to take some new ones. I will be going into production on them pretty soon and i would love to test fit it on an LS. I dont have any dyno results on just the y-pipe but it has made a significant power gain from the feel of out.

I'll take some new pictures and post them up in a few days.

Thanks for that pic jbrady, So if someone wants to get S&S headers for their 90-94 LS400 then could they use the GS400 Cats and O2 sensors and it be almost a direct bolt on?

Well, the early engines use EGR and to keep that you would need to add a flange and some flex tubing. GS400 cats should be very close but are not a direct bolt on to the LS400 Y pipe of any year. Some fabrication would be needed. Still, good cat choice if you can find them.

John, looks like a great thing to come out with for those that want to increase low end umph. Looking forward to seeing how you do with the new "Y".

Hey Chase, glad to see you got something going too. I also see you are an approved vendor. Perhaps you may consider posting up your project part on a separate thread, since John clearly stated his desire to fab up a new performance "Y" pipe of his own on this thread he started. I am sure you intended no hijacking of John's thread, just a friendly reminder to start up your own thread and title it well so we can all follow it.

Ryan

I am looking for a Y-pipe, even stock one for my 98 GS4. Just as long as it doesn't have the rust holes mine has got from the heat shield clamps...

Any advice on suppliers or advice on building one? From reading this, pattern the stock one as close as possible.

I was thinking of getting rid of the stock center resonator/muffler, and go with a single pipe there (more or less this is the "X" crossover that is large and they used a muffler for it)

Thanks!