best surf/4runner for 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

adamnz

hi everyone

i am looking to fit a surf/4runner with a 1uz. i have owned surf's in the past and love them but i want more than what the standard engines provide so i will save some $ and start with a surf or 4runner with a blown motor, as they are plentiful and cheap. i have been told that it is easier starting with a v6 however finding a suitable one in manual could be difficult. much easier to find in the 2.4 diesel. i am undecided as to whether i want auto or manual, i prefer manual but it appears autos are easier/cheaper to do and can handle the power better? i have experience swapping motors etc and have access to a pit and tools etc so will be doing as much work as possible myself. vehicle will most likely be a 2nd gen of early 90's vintage. have spent many hours trolling forums but just have a few questions for some of you experts if thats ok.

1. have read that if i use a v6 4runner auto i will have problems adapting the lexus auto to the transfer case as they are different to the surfs? i think alot of the info i am going by is from the states however, can anyone local confirm that our nz new models are the same? would it be a simple fix? there is a nice looking 4runner i am looking at currently.

2. if i was to go manual i would most likely start with a 2.4 diesel jdm import, are the gearboxes in these as strong as the v6 ones? would the gearing be wrong for the v8? if i was to go down this route would there be any other extra expense compared to the auto v6 other than clutch/flywheel/bellhousing?

3. is there anything else making petrol/diesel or surf/4runner a superior starting base? if i was to decide to go manual would it be particularly worthwhile spending more time/money trying to find a v6?

thanks in advance, absolutely brilliant website so much good info in here!

cheers,
adam.

The 4 Runner auto transfer case will not bolt up to the Lexus auto without an adaptor plate of some kind. If I was you, I would get the V6 4 Runner and if you want to go auto like I did, just buy a transfer case from an auto 93ish Surf and go from there. With the V6 4 Runner you will have the hand brake assembly inside the cab as needed and you will have an EFI fuel tank with pump in tank. As it is already an auto, the peddle box will be fine, but I'm not sure if you can adapt the shifters, because I used one out of a Surf and the 4 Runner one is different.

I think all the Surfs and Runners had either R15o or R151 boxes and these are the ones to go for. They are similar boxes with slightly different ratios I think, but you're best getting on Surf site and confirming that. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

I believe going auto is the cheaper conversion, but there is no spinning of wheels at the lights etc and fuel consumption will be a little worse. I get around 17l/100ks around town, whereas a manual should see 15l.

Ric

My personal choice was a manual V6 surf due to internal handbrake roller , internal clutch master cylinder, EFI tank and big R series box. All the turbo diesel and V6 I have seen have the big R series. The 2.8 diesel seem to have the small G series box. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter too much , I think its more important to get a good clean body as the other parts are easy to change. Ive done and helped with all the other models from 2litre(3Y) and 2.2L(4Y) , 2.4Litre(22R) V6(3vz-e and 5vz) and all the diesels , 2.4 turbo diesel , 2.8 diesel and 3 litre turbo diesel. I really like the ones with the recaro interiors. Cheers

My personal choice was a manual V6 surf due to internal handbrake roller , internal clutch master cylinder, EFI tank and big R series box. All the turbo diesel and V6 I have seen have the big R series. The 2.8 diesel seem to have the small G series box. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter too much , I think its more important to get a good clean body as the other parts are easy to change. Ive done and helped with all the other models from 2litre(3Y) and 2.2L(4Y) , 2.4Litre(22R) V6(3vz-e and 5vz) and all the diesels , 2.4 turbo diesel , 2.8 diesel and 3 litre turbo diesel. I really like the ones with the recaro interiors. Cheers

Agreed but if you're a bit shorter than 172cm tall and it has a 50mm suspension lift (or greater) you tend to sing soprano for a while after getting out of it

I gotta ask...what year's or generation Surf/Hilux are you folks talking about? I know that the 3rd Gen 4Runner/Tacoma will take the V6 Auto to the 1uzfe engine with a torque converter change and few other minor mods.

As I understand it, the 3rd Generation 4Runner in the States translated to the world market too according to my research but the years are 95-02.

Some one chime in?

I was refering to the 130 series. Bolting the surf trans to the 1uz engine usually results in the trans running in fail safe due to the electronics being incorrect. Cheers

Surf and 4runner use a 2 pole relucter for speed sensor number two in the rear of the trans where as the majority of the 1UZ autos run a 4 pole relucter. Now with all the wiring hooked up correctly and the TV cable properly adjusted they will shift more or less as normal. Stick the boot in and they're a bit like the old Trimatic (or GM180 box) which tend to shift if and when they want to not when they should. Now this is when in high range 4wd or rwd only. Go into low range and you're stuck in first gear. Now this is based on my observations of vehicles that have come in that have been converted elsewhere as I tend to try and use (where doing a conversion where the client wants auto) the 1UZ box and put the Surf or 4runner transfer on the back of such which is unless you're trying to run the 5 or 6 speed auto a simple task. The 130 series and 185s are the easier ones to do. I cannot comment on the 215 and later series as to my knowledge there are none in Australia yet those did emerge from the factory with the UZ in them. Hell I damn near bought a brand new 215 V8 in Manila in 06.. Lesson learned "Do not listen to the wife"

Samsdad is correct. Except I disagree with the shifting normally , I feel they short shift second even when normal driving. I too have fixed too many other peoples conversion nightmares. Up til now I have been solving it mechanically but I am presently working on the issue electronically. Will post if it works.

SAMs dad & Gloverman,knowing what you both know and the about of conversions you both do ,would you prefer the manual conversion in a 4wd or is the auto 100% sorted even in 4wd? I personally like manual for the down hill engine braking( have a 100 series auto,which really needs a locked up torque convertor)
Cheers David

David having built both it's really upto the preference of the individual client as each has it's merits. For auto I use the 1UZs auto with a Surf extension housing and transfer case (as most of the autos are in Surfs) or you could use the transfercase from a '99-04 Hilux but be aware using the latter you need to change the input shaft of the transfer case to a 23 spline shaft so the coupler will fit. Using the 1UZs' auto (assuming the auto is a 4 speed from a Celsior/LS400/Soarer/SC400) you drill and tap one hole in the transmission case and cut the speedo driven gear off the relucter for speed sensor number 2 then drill and tap the relucter to take some grubscrews to hold it in place. Bolt everything together and done, Add your 4wd wiring into the 1UZ loom and away you go. This way the auto will not only shift as normal for street driving but will also shift gears correctly in low range.

Manual. Well After many dramas with mine I'd certainly never use Dellows/CRS (it's the same stuff people) gear again as for the 4wd applications the bellhousing is 10mm too short. This not only causes issues with mounting and firewall clearances but while things behave when the clutch is new, after 30 or 40km you end up with a "Sometimes clutch" Why? you run out of adjustment and also their bronze release bearing carrier... Simple chemistry there.. two unlike metals (no matter what lubricant) react and the damn thing sticks.

Now having driven both manual and auto versions off road in both stock diesel form and 1UZ when the Autos are done properly they're magic off road esp on Sand.

Kelvin the one that I mentioned I've actually been driving around for a bit as it's in for "other things" and yes it "Shortshifts" which while not so noticeable on light throttle, when you give it some stick is straight into 2nd, misses 3rd and O/D and straight to lockup

I agree. Personal choice. The autos when done correctly work 100%. Must be done correctly. Prado , surf and landcruiser all have different ways of doing the auto. 5 speeds are different to 4 speeds but can still be converted.

The hard the 4x4 driving the better autos are.

Samsdad - I am pretty sure I have an electronic solution for the autos as well. Research is all done and job is in the shop ready to be done. Early 1uz with prado auto. Same technique should work on surfs. And going to plan Ill have some tunability of the shifting.