The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Gareth08

Hi,

I am looking at putting a 1990 1uzfe into an Opel Manta and am after some advice with the auto box.

Does the original auto box require the original ECU in order for it to work properly ?

I would like to go to a carb conversion and stand alone ECU for the ignition but keep the auto box.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanls

yes the auto is electronically controlled so requires the ECU to control it if you want full auto control. Cheers

So am I right in thinking if I dont wire the box to the ECU it will still work but only if I shift it manually via the lever. Will all gears work including overdrive ?

Is there such a thing as a standalone ECU for the box or an aftermarket ECU that will control the box as well ?

lets think a bit more. There are 6 positions on the shift lever or on the shifter. You have a 4 speed auto. You need park, reverse and neutral positions leaving 3 positions for 4 gears. You wont have all of the gears. Yes there are aftermarket ECU for autos or wire the stock ecu for the auto providing you have all the correct signals which involves a bit of work if doing a carb conversion although you also need an ignition system. Lots of stock car guys over here run carbs as they have to due to the rules but after years of stuffing around with different ignition systems they pretty much all run an ECU for the ignition so they engine run well. I did a video on an manual shift box which I make for toyota autos.

So is it possible to run the stock ECU to run the ignition and box but run a carb instead ?

Or is it possible to wire the box manually to operate it via a paddle type shift ?

As I understand it the standard ECU is not very good is it as in it cant be mapped for ignition or fuel if running the stock injection ?

I wire around 100 stock ecus each year. They have limitations but set up properly work ok.

No mapping on non vvti ecu.

Anything is possible with knowledge and time. My personal preference for auto is the later gen 2 ecu wired correctly or aftermath ecu for engine and gen2 ecu for trans.

I don't really want to over complicate everything by running 2 ECUs as I assume they would need to ' talk ' to each other ?

Also I wanted to get rid of a lot of the wiring and vacuum , fuel lines etc and egr which is why I was thinking carb.

Looks like my idea is not going to work. I'm guessing most people run a manual box ?

I do about 50/50 manual and autos so heaps running the stock auto. These engines are pretty easy to setup and wiring isnt too difficult compared to some we see these days. Running the stock auto is generally cheaper.

I do about 50/50 manual and autos so heaps running the stock auto. These engines are pretty easy to setup and wiring isnt too difficult compared to some we see these days. Running the stock auto is generally cheaper.

I would prefer to keep the auto box really.
Sorry I'm new to this engine/box set up and trying to work out what is the best way.

So if I keep the auto I need to keep the standard ECU to run it. Does this mean that i will have to use the same ECU for ignition ?

If I keep the standard ECU to run the box can I use a separate ECU to run the ignition only and/or carb or use the factory injection.

In a nutshell is it possible to run a carb setup with standalone ECU to control ignition and thr factory ( or aftermarket) ECU to control the gearbox in full auto ?

If so what do I need ?

Thanks

One question,

Why a carb conversion?

You're throwing away all the good bits.

Injection ill give better driveability, better fuel economy and a more reliable engine.

One question,

Why a carb conversion?

You're throwing away all the good bits.

Injection ill give better driveability, better fuel economy and a more reliable engine.

My original idea was to ' simplify ' things and get rid of a lot of the wiring, sensors etc associated with fuel injection so the whole thing looks a bit cleaner !!!

If I retain the original factory set up how much stuff on the engine can I get rid of ??

There are what looks like a lot of sensors etc and EGR stuff ? Can this be got rid of and the ECU still work correctly ?

I'm pretty good with electrics etc but am new to this engine and set up. All my other V8s have been carb.

The EGR can be deleted and the stock ECU will operate fine if everything is wired correctly. There are examples of wiring on my youtube channel. Funny enough most of the time the engines get set up like the JDM spec engines which normally have more emission stuff but not in the case of the 1uz.

The EGR can be deleted and the stock ECU will operate fine if everything is wired correctly. There are examples of wiring on my youtube channel. Funny enough most of the time the engines get set up like the JDM spec engines which normally have more emission stuff but not in the case of the 1uz.

What is the name of you YouTube channel ?
I will take a look

As stated earlier no remapping of early non vvti ecu.

Then how can I delete EGR etc ??
Sorry but the ECU thing is new to me.... if you cant map them, cant tune them and cant delete anything from them then how do you change anything ????

Am i missing something ?

Theres a limited amount you can change or you may not get the full potential of the change. Egr blank has little effect on tuning and improves the combustion efficiency. Exhaust you get small gains and cam improve scavenging thus improving torque . Gen2 ecu have better adaption functions via oxygen sensor and better afm. If i do more changes than the basics I fit an aftermarket ecu to do engine and leave stock one doing trans - well i prefer gen 2 ecu for trans too as they are simplier and have better shift points.

Here's an easy option for manual control of the auto transmission without a controller at all: http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html
I plan to use one with my swap (run through a switch so I can choose manual or automatic control, since I'm using the factory injection system as well).

Also, I've seen a microsquirt used to control automatic transmissions before in a standalone configuration. Looks pretty awesome.