As polite as possible- Auto Transmission questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Handgrenade

I have a 93 1UZFE and the automatic transmission transplanted as a pair, from the same donor vehicle, into another vehicle.
I have the factory wiring manual and the engine runs perfectly.
My questions are:
The A/T goes into P R N and what feels like L1. It does not shift up at all.

The fluid amount is a bit high, but it's got fluid in it. All of the plugs are correct in the factory loom and connected to the automatic transmission.

What I do NOT have, is the A/T indicator switch or what I mean is, the factory LS400 console gear selector. Nor do I have the factory LS400 instrument cluster. Is this transmission defaulting into a low line pressure setting and that's why it won't upshift, because the ECU isn't outputting the correct signals to the trans?
If so- can I trick the ECU into giving the box the correct signals so that it will shift?

The SLN SLU S1 and S2 are all connected the way the factory loom came stock.
My concern is this part on the upper right of this diagram. Is this why it won't shift, because it's not sending the right signals from the cluster and indicator switch? Sorry for the giant image!
gb2.jpg

Last edited:
Start with reading current and stored DTCs.
On newer Toyotas, engine and a/t DTCs are output from warning light (pin W)
on some older models, transmission related DTCs may be output from o/d light

post them here and we'll see what it can be

How long was it sitting before you ran it. Could be sticky solenoids. Have you checked if they are getting power

The speed sensor on the tailshaft either isn't working or there's a break in the wiring. No signal from this sensor and the transmission won't shift out of 1st gear. (Been there, done that! :D)

Well thank you guys, I now have a place to start looking. I do in fact have a DTC it's a 42 from a speed sensor. I thought that code was because my dash cluster was missing. I will check that later and report back.
Thanks you sirs.

Well on some very early non-vvti 1UZ's there're actually 2 speed sensors. One 2-wire and the other one 3-wire type.

The 3-wire sensor's signal does run through cluster before it reaches ECU

However ECU works ok with only 2-wire sensor (SP2+ , SP2-). So you probably would start with troubleshooting it.

Also make sure that NSW pin is left "floating" (unconnected) when in D position

Well thank you guys, I now have a place to start looking. I do in fact have a DTC it's a 42 from a speed sensor. I thought that code was because my dash cluster was missing. I will check that later and report back.
Thanks you sirs.

Transmission will still shift through the gears with no dash cluster. (non VVTi)

Well on some very early non-vvti 1UZ's there're actually 2 speed sensors. One 2-wire and the other one 3-wire type.

The 3-wire sensor's signal does run through cluster before it reaches ECU

However ECU works ok with only 2-wire sensor (SP2+ , SP2-). So you probably would start with troubleshooting it.

Also make sure that NSW pin is left "floating" (unconnected) when in D position

I have to check and see what I did with the NSW wire. I may have put power to it, I can't remember so I will have a look at that. I know it will start in any gear as well as P and N.

fault free engine will start no matter what you do to STA,NSW wires. However you do better connect inhibitor switch per your wiring diagram, as properly connecting it makes the proper voltage at both STA and NSW

Tailshaft speed sensor, one wire not connected and making it back to the ECU and SLU not connected, still checking on others. Some make it to the ECU but three have not. Must be breaks in the wires. I'll run new wires from the trans plugs directly to the ECU after I check them all.

Gentlemen! If you're ever in Cleveland Ohio look me up because I owe you some beers! It shifts. The car is ready for some burnouts, just as soon as I get the brake lights working and re-bleed them, button up the interior etc.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Burnouts? Install some loud exhaust and the US would pursue me for terrorist support :) Thanks for free beer, fridge magnet would be ok too )