Anyone tried a V8 swap into MK4 Supra?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Cabear

I'm looking into more projects, the manual sc400 seems limited. I'd like to know if anyone has shoehorned a 1UZ or 3UZ into an NA MK4 supra? It'd be a lil rarer then a TT swap, and if paired with a good 5 speed tranny should be just as quick as a TT (but with limited upgrade potential).

Anyone tried it?

im doing that exact conversion. i have an na auto mk4. 1uz going in.... unsure whether ill be using the r154 or the v160 6spd.

Lextreme said:
Andrew,

Ebay sell them cheap. Saw one for $249.

Sells what cheap, the motor? If so, yes, I have one (err a few) and got it at $250. That's my "throw away" motor from which I am using the mounts and other misc stuff. The real motor is the 1999 1UZvvti motor. I hope to have that test fit (with SC400 oil pan and engine mounts) this week.

I have one other motor, a 2UZ, which I am still debating using because it has 4.7l and it's 9.6:1 compression, which would be good enough for 18 psi if intercooled properly. It would be great to use this with the 1UZvvti heads and intake. The only downside is the weight, but I am not so sure it weighs a whole lot more. I estimate a bare 1UZ block at ~60 lbs. Maybe a little more, but it can't be too much, as I can pick it up and carry it without groaning too much. Even if the bare 2UZ block is 2x as heavy, another 60 lbs is no that bad.

The 6 speed is a whole other issue. I was going to graft on a flange from the 1UZ auto bellhousing, but it looks like I will be going with a CNC'd flange.

oh great! I knew some people must have tried this, how's the fit of the engine going to be? The only thing i'm weary of is the engine fit and tranny issues as well as electronics and such.

I'm debating whether to pick up an NA for cheap then find a 1uz front clip for cheap as well. Either this or a 2JZGTE swap into a 76 datsun 240z.

Well, I hope the engine's oil pan just fits perfectly beyween the crossmember and steering rack by using sc400 enigne mounts and oil pan. I should know in a few days.

Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure we don't have 1976 240Z's here. 280Z's, yes. 240: 70-73, 260: 74, 280: 75-78. And I have considered that (2JZ -> 240Z) as well :)

for my swap, i'll be looking at using the whole uzz31 crossmember as it looks like it will bolt straight up to the supra chassis. If this works, then i wont have any hassles with oil pan and such...

as far as electronics goes.. im still unsure about what ecu i will be running.. the swap wont happen for awhile yet, so plenty of time to do a little more research

WEll the 240z i saw was labeled 76, might have been an error, i just know it's a damn sexy chasis! :)

I need more info on this swap as well, i'm really looking forwardto a V8 powered supra w/ manual transmission. Can anyone recommend any good info? I've read the 1UZ ecu is pretty easily tricked into thinking it's always in neutral, the next thing would to try to get the gauges and such to work.

A Crown ECU is so hard to get here in the states. It took me a few months just to find a set of MS123 Crown stub axles for my MkII Supra. That's why right now I'm planning to run the LS400 ECU with my 1UZ and just trick it into neutral.

Peter,

Your link at the foot of your post takes me to a VSS Site which is a classroom scheduling program?

Maybe something is amiss

Just called a local shop for the swap. If i provide the supra, the gs400 front clip and the transmission w/ adapter plates for manual conversion, i'm looking at around 5 grand for labor and it'll take around 2 months to complete.

I need to make a list for parts, anyone care to add to it?

Gs400 clip- how much do these usually go for?

Manual transmission that'll work w/ adapters- any suggestions? i'd like a good gear set for accel and a long 5th or 6th gear for hiway driving.

If you are willing to go automatic, I bet there's a good chance you can use the GS400 auto, or at least the bellhousing and the SupraTT auto.

I would expect a GS400 clip to be quite a bit, at least $5000, but honestly that is just a guess