Anyone know how to replicate this sort of sound?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

George_R

Staff member
Always wanted to ask that question, but didn't know how. Finally, I found a clip that sort of represents my thought of perfect 1UZ sound

Does anyone know how this type of sound can be achieved?

All I know about the clip is that it's full custom exhaust, non-vvti 1UZ-FE, no resonator type mufflers and no cats. Pipe sizing, H or X crossing, mufflers type/size/number are all unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmNs0ibiSY

Last edited:
It reminds me a lot of the sound my Mustang makes. Tubing is 2.75 all the way back. There is an X pipe with no cats. To 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. Just making a total guess here but I bet it has an H pipe. But its just a feeling/guess based on the way the cylinders sound like they are firing out the tailpipes.

Jake

Jakespeeds - thanks, that's already something to start with. What's the displacement of your Mustang's engine? If I get you right, the exhaust is 2.75" past headers. Are the mufflers installed before or past axle? Where are exhaust outlets located, before wheels or on the back of the car? (in other words, how much length is there between muffler's outlet and exhaust system's end)

Are yours 40-series Flowmasters or some other model?
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11139

p/s
I could contact the clip's author, he insists there's true 2" duals, no crossing between them, with small round mufflers fitted. I think a pair of glasspacks and dual 2.25" would be quite close enough

The Mustang is a 4.6L. Its a set of tuned headers. The mufflers are in front of the axle. The exhaust outlets go right out the back. The Mustang is a 98 GT and if you look up what the factory exhaust looks like then you will have it. The aftermarket exhaust mimics the factory exhaust visually.

Jake

Yeah that is what I have but not from that manufacturer. Not like it really matters. Its just a copy of a stock system. Best sounding exhaust I ever heard on one of those engines used a chambered pipe on each side from a 69 Camaro Z28 competition car. It was a repo but still good quality. But probably a little loud for daily driving.

Jake

Is this a chambered pipe exhaust?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxNTA0/z/rwUAAOSwd4tT1pKb/$_57.JPG

Copying isn't a bad thing at all. Blind thoughtless replication is the evil. Besides I can't just visit local wrecker and buy mint condition stang mufflers (not to mention fitting them , keeping in mind various space restrictions of my car). While obtaining a pair of flowmasters off ebay is more than viable.

Last edited:
Still have to find it out. Only had time to drive it around the workshop

if it does drone badly, I will find out the main resonance frequency and try to fit 1/4 wave resonators (they are basically pipes with stub on one of its ends). The other options I consider are running the piping to the tail, and/or using additional dual in - dual out muffler

Yup its always a bit of trial and error. You have a great starting point there though. Hopefully you don't run into any of those issues and the sound stays like that. I like that a lot.

Jake

Thanks! I'll definitely update this thread after I evaluate it thoroughly.

What I have now is factory 3uz headers, H-pipe and dual 30" glasspacks, 2.25" (OD)

Always wanted to ask that question, but didn't know how. Finally, I found a clip that sort of represents my thought of perfect 1UZ sound

Does anyone know how this type of sound can be achieved?

All I know about the clip is that it's full custom exhaust, non-vvti 1UZ-FE, no resonator type mufflers and no cats. Pipe sizing, H or X crossing, mufflers type/size/number are all unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmNs0ibiSY

sounds very similar to my 1uz, in particular when idling

/ have 4 pipes
/ about 2 inches from the engine block the exhaust enters 2" pipes
that runs the length of the block and a bit more
/ then about 12-15 inches of 2.5" pipes
/ finally about 20 inches of 3" pipes

melvinmelvin, do you mean you have no mufflers at all? Why do you step through pipe diameters? Is that a way to create/eliminate some resonances?

sounds like my first supra with the 1uz before I added the x-pipe
it was 2.5" SS dual exaust all the way back and into a Stainless Steel magnaflow muffler