Another update on rdms TT sc400..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Ryan, the oil galley has a steel tube in the center. The Aluminum is fairly thin, and doesn't leave much area for milling flat.
Also if you removed material from this area, you may put the inlet of the squirter more into the path of the oil rather then just tapping into it.
In my application, we drilled the galley, and then built a spacer to hold the tap flat after the block was drilled, & tapped for the bolt

Ryan, the oil galley has a steel tube in the center. The Aluminum is fairly thin, and doesn't leave much area for milling flat.
Also if you removed material from this area, you may put the inlet of the squirter more into the path of the oil rather then just tapping into it.
In my application, we drilled the galley, and then built a spacer to hold the tap flat after the block was drilled, & tapped for the bolt

Thanks Bob...We haven't started milling yet...and I will pass this info on to my machine shop.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks Bob...We haven't started milling yet...and I will pass this info on to my machine shop.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Guys, I was kickin @$$, and taken names yesterday!!
drillsergeant.gif

I got the motor & Trans back in the car, plus a lot of the little stuff, alot of the wiring, got the harness back in the pass compartment which is a pain.
Got the automatics selector out of the center console which is also a pain in the
censored.gif
Drilled out the holes for the clutch master cyl. Kinna a pain.
Anyway, some good news is the Getrag fits in the tunnel. Not even 1 hammer blow was needed to fit it!!!
I had read somewhere that on the Supra the tunnel for the auto, and the manual was different, and the auto tunnel needed to be removed, and the manual one put in.
That is not the case on the SC.
I believe that the shifter will also line up with the stock hole in the tunnel for the auto's selector. This may need to be clearanced for the shifter, but it won't be much, and that would still be alot easier then putting in a new floor!!
The Getrag (Even with the adapter plate) is shorter then the auto trans. So the drive shaft is short, but you probably figured that already. Plus the drive shaft wouldn't bolt up cause of the different flange on the back of the Getrag Vs the Auto even if it were the same length.
Anyway, I'm all excited about it!
I didn't take any pictures, but will try and remember to bring my camera tonight.

Nice progress! I hear only the 95+ SC's would be able to swap with the getrag with no tunnel problems and 92-94 models would need some hammering.

Anyways, looking forward to the pictures!

Hey Guys,
Chris was looking at the stock rods I had in my motor. We didn't notice it when we took the motor apart, but 5 of the 8 rods had the piston pin bushing turned inside the rod. (The small end on the rod)
We thinks that this turning grabbed the piston pin and caused a weird stress, which bent 1 rod.
I ran 17 PSI on the motor, but it was for a short time.
This may be something the guys who are boosting might want to be aware of.
I don't know what caused this, it may have been a lack of oil to the pin, but once the bushing turns, it closes the oiling hole to the pin completely.

hi guys--id like to talk about this also.. rdms rods were sitting around after he decided to go with the pawter rods.. anyway,, after taking a close look at his old rods,, i noticed that a few of the pin bore bushings had turned in their bore..
this, in itself, would not cause an immediate failure,, but it could contribute to an eventual failure-problem..
once the bushing pin oil hole moves,, the amount of oil the pin sees is greatly reduced.. this may eventualy cause the pin to start" grabing" the bushing.. again,, this may lead to more problems..

anyway,, long story short,, i am not sure why the pin bushings moved in their bore--but it is something i think everyone should look at if they are making power.. i think i may start a seperate thread about this..

Yikes!! Perhaps the combustion pressures are getting so high that the forces on the pins cause it to bind on the bush regardless of oil supply and cause it to turn? either that or it's a temp issue with different rates of expansion allowing the bush to shift?

Can't see it being an oil supply issue as the UZ has a pretty smick oiling system.

Hey RDM,

So quartermaster bore the cranck/flexplate bolt pattern in the flywheel so it fits, I can notice on the picture that the flywheel is also bolted to the flexplate a little further to the outside, but it's not using the original bolt holes that the torque converter used, did you drill those yourself or did QM do that for you?
als did you use the original flywheel bolts or do you need longer ones to put the flywheel on the cranck/flexplate?

looking good btw

Oh yes before I forget, the 1995M5 uses the same gertrag box, or at least the casing is the same, internals might not be. these are incredibly strong boxes, a mate has an M5 L6 engine 336hp with that box in a seven which is due to hit track in spring, it's got 610hp per ton (1000kg)

regards Thomas

edit: bad spelling a 6:00am

Hey RDM,

So quartermaster bore the cranck/flexplate bolt pattern in the flywheel so it fits,
Yes this is correct. they machine one of there flywheels to work with the crank of the 1UZ.

I can notice on the picture that the flywheel is also bolted to the flexplate a little further to the outside, but it's not using the original bolt holes that the torque converter used,
Yes this is also correct.

did you drill those yourself or did QM do that for you?
No drilling needed by anybody. In post #72 I posted 4 pictures. the first picture shows the flexplate, and the flywheel. The Flexplate is bolted to the crank with the same bolts which hold the flywheel. the flexplate is needed for the starter ringgear. this saves QM (Quarter Master) time & cost in making the clutch as the same clutch can now be used on many different motors/trans arrangments.

als did you use the original flywheel bolts or do you need longer ones to put the flywheel on the cranck/flexplate?
We used the same bolts. the flywheel is slightly thicker then one of the spacers which is no longer needed. But yes I used the same bolts, but you could get ARP slightly longer one if you would like. but I think the stock bolts went in plenty.

looking good btw

Oh yes before I forget, the 1995M5 uses the same gertrag box, or at least the casing is the same, internals might not be. these are incredibly strong boxes, a mate has an M5 L6 engine 336hp with that box in a seven which is due to hit track in spring, it's got 610hp per ton (1000kg)

regards Thomas

edit: bad spelling a 6:00am
Thanks Thomas

RDM20,

I heard the same thing about the auto and manual Supra tunnel, and guess what, the R154 gearbox fits just fine.

I am using the same flywheel, clutch and release bearing setup. I am actually working on it tonight with some mates. Looks like a QM release bearing too, any tips on setting the shims on it?

there should be .125 of an inch between the bearing, and the fingers on the clutch.. im not sure if you you guys use metric or us-standard-or british measures-- so please make sure you convert the maesurement if you need to..
in the throwout assembly,, the bearing will easily pull out,, and you place the shims behind it, and reasemble..
glad to see this stuff is getting used on the other side of the globe..

Hey Guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I haven't had a lot of news to post.
Chris (Chrisman) has been busy with a couple other projects.
Chris has been trying to complete 2 TT SC 400's at the shop at the same time.
Both cars are gonna have a lot of stuff very simular, but are different in alot of ways too, which makes creating a kit that will work with both of them difficult.
Here are a couple pictures I took today of the kit.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Bob