American V8 Swaps into Lexus?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Now there's a new motor worth getting excited about. Detroit finally produced something with some interesting engineering.

John

I had a quick read on that engine a while back, though power and torque figures are good on paper. It seems the engine had some casting and engineering problems, the latest series has most of the bugs ironed out. I rekon the best engine would be the LS1, 500hp is almost too easy to get with one of those motors

1UZ-HZ said:
I had a quick read on that engine a while back, though power and torque figures are good on paper. It seems the engine had some casting and engineering problems, the latest series has most of the bugs ironed out. I rekon the best engine would be the LS1, 500hp is almost too easy to get with one of those motors
The problem with the early Northstars was blowing headgaskets caused by head bolts pulling out of the block. There is a kit to repair the threads. Of course, Northstars can be had pretty cheaply because of this problem. You can get a 100K mile motor for little coin with this trouble and fix it. They show very little wear on the cylinders at this mileage. Another good thing about them is they are pretty easy to hook up to the Toyota transmissions.

http://www.chrfab.com/

But I'll agree... the LS1 is really the best motor from Detroit these days...

Greg

Another variation of the ls1..... the ls7. 7k redline, 500hp completely stock. It's going on the new corvette zo6. All Aluminum, but I think it's someting like 60 pounds heavier.

On the flip side, how about putting a 1uz in a 69 camaro...... pleanty of room for twin turbos. It'd be an awesome g-machine!

does anyone really have the low down, on how much the conversion cost would be to drop a 350 in an sc 400???

Personally I think this would be a sick conversion, I just want to see how involved of a process it would be.

a 350 mated to a world class racing tranny=drift machine, screw your image

dimensions ratios etc would help if you have links

I have been thinking seriously about this conversion and want to see about how much machining is really needed, save your opinion for honda-tech, or a mustang forum, I just really want total project outlook. Thanks by the way, I love your site havent you guys been around since like 2000?!!!

speaking of dinosaurs.... i have a 351 cleveland and c4 trans holding up one corner of my work bench, hehe.. about all it's good for....

Here's a bellhousing from an 04 Colorado pickup 3.5L I5. This will bolt your Jeep AX15, NV3550 and 96 and later Toyota R150 as well as the Supra Turbo R154 up to a Chevy Vortec DOHC 4.2L I6, 3.5L I5 and 2.8L I4. I just got this from Todd Kozak of Kozak Automotive in PA. He's got a few more if you're interested. Contact him at: <[email protected]> The 4.2L makes 275 hp and 275 ft-lbs of torque N/A.

Greg

attachment.php

vortec.jpg

Wow!! What a great thread!! Love the many different opinions on this. I too have owned and driven a Vette. I loved the power and low end torque of the Vette, when it was running right. I also had it in the shop almost monthly for various problems. At 72k miles, I had enough, and sold the car. Still, the LS1 is a great engine for NA power. For me, it isn't right in a Lexus. My SC400 has 120k miles on it now, and it is still silky smooth, with never a problem on the engine itself...not one. Only standard maintenance, and 3k synthetic oil changes and filters. I love the V8 burble that the 1UZ makes, it's almost orgasmic. Now that the TT is being done on it, I cannot wait to experience the increased power, sounds, and revs it will make. And, it will be done for around the $6,000 figure you mentioned including parts, plumbing. labor, and electronics.

So, IMO, you can make power any way you want. Really depends on how, what, and how many dollars to spend.

BTW, I know we have been talking about engines in this thread, but if you consider the fit and finish of the whole product- a Vette vs the SC400, no comparison.At 15 k miles I was replacing all types of interior and engine parts on my Vette. The quality and reliability was horrendous. The car rattled and squeaked unbelieveably so at 15k miles as well. My 93 SC is still quiet, smooth, and extremely reliable. Even the write-ups on the latest C6 Vette still complain about and highlight the lack of quality of the car, except for the drive train- that is a work of art. Lots more than $6 k though...

Ryan

Yeah, I sold a Fiero with a swapped 4cam v6 because it was just going to be a miserable life trying to keep up with everything cosmetic falling off, warping, cracking, rattling, etc.
However, GM engines are pretty decent, if you like low end grunt.
I was thinking of a late model BMW 6.0 V12, when they start to pile up in the junkyards.

How about the new Mustang Cobra with 5.4 liter with intercooled twin screw supercharger. The stock engine have forged steel crank and forged pistons. 450 bhp @ 8 psi. Some journalists stated 600 bhp easily with pulley, chip and exhaust. This article is in this month's 5.0 Mustang Mag.

That would be awesome in a SC400. Hell, might as well throw in the T56.

No, only the UZZ32 is a good handling car (stockwise).
The SC400 in general is a heavy car that doesn't handle.
Sure you could spend uber $$ on a decent suspension setup, and its a damn good base to start with, but it won't be cheap.

I was just thinking of how the car would handle with a cast iron engine in front, figured the transaxle would help balance it back out again.

I've yet to see a car with an automatic suspension system that really was a true drivers car, even on the Porsche 959 many owners ditch all the power stuff for a good set of steel coil springs/Bilsteins.

For some subtle power gains why not just jump straight into a 540ci Keith Black W/ twin screw 'charger in a 1st gen LS400

Might cost a little more than $6,000

Cost would be worth it at the first set of traffic lights

As for the original question, anything is possible for the right money, so if it feels good - do it. Variety is the spice of life.

SCV8 said:
I was just thinking of how the car would handle with a cast iron engine in front, figured the transaxle would help balance it back out again.

Which engine are you talking about? All the LS1/2/6/7 motors are aluminum and probably lighter than the 1UZ.

I guess I was thinking that the Big Block Chevy would be better in a 3800 pound car.
Kind of like it works with a Chevelle; is ok with a smallblock, but 468 roller cam engine is going to be the hot ticket.

LS1's are about 30-40lbs heavier than the 1uz IIRC.

1uz is about 175kg, LS1 around the 190kg mark.

Could be wrong, but its just what I remember.

Eitherway, its nothing major.